• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

NHL Diversity

Rate this topic

Beautiful. White players recognizing their inherent racism. This is exactly what the world needed. Less sports and more honest conversations about race politics.

13 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's official. The NHL is now woke. And now the ratings will drop.

Yup. And I'm sure it will drive the bigots nuts...

>Kane's Hockey Diversity Alliance has asked the NHL to commit to funding $100M over 10 years to battle systemic racism.
>The association has suggested that money go towards grassroots programs, social justice initiatives, anti-racism education, youth scholarships and exec & coach training.
>The HDA asked for the NHL to run PSAs for the alliance during the playoffs this summer. And for the NHL to have on-ice presence of the HDA logo.
>The HDA has also proposed “Black out” warm up jerseys to help build awareness of the alliance and its agenda.
>Such jerseys could be sold through Fanatics to help raise money for its initiatives.
>The HDA has also suggested the NHL make a statement by temporarily changing the blue line to Black.

This is what real progress looks like

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Beautiful. White players recognizing their inherent racism. This is exactly what the world needed. Less sports and more honest conversations about race politics.

Yup. And I'm sure it will drive the bigots nuts...

Wanting to keep politics and social issues out of sports doesn't make you a bigot. For some people, watching sports is a place to go to escape all of the division and infighting going on. It's a source of entertainment, and should not be a place for agendas, no matter how noble the causes. Snowflakes get to have their "safe space", why can't I have mine?

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Uh oh somebody's cranky without their hockey

You do realize that cancelling games over an incident that is still under investigation and has yet to have all of the facts released, is entirely premature, right?

If recent events in the media has taught us anything, its that they are way to quick to jump to conclusions.

The NHL would be smart to wait.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Wanting to keep politics and social issues out of sports doesn't make you a bigot. For some people, watching sports is a place to go to escape all of the division and infighting going on. It's a source of entertainment, and should not be a place for agendas, no matter how noble the causes. Snowflakes get to have their "safe space", why can't I have mine?

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyports/status/1299402878910513153

Its not about politics. Its about equality. Something everyone (should be) is for.

Racism is real.  Racism is stupid. 

On the other hand, if we look at how many players in the league are from Canada (almost half) and Europe (over a quarter) it seems out of place for the players to do things the way that the other leagues have been doing.  Kneeling for anthems comes to mind.  It's one thing to disrespect one's own flag and military.  It's quite another to disrespect one's host country's flag and military if one is a visitor. 

Taking a couple of days off for reflection on the state of racism in the world and its implications on the lives of people everywhere is a reasonable action for a league with a lot of national, if not racial, diversity.  I am glad to see any group of people acknowledge the need to improve racial relations without doing anything which is violent, destructive, or insulting to another group of people who likely despise racism as much as they do.

Now if only we could convince racist people that their actions are stupid.  Unfortunately, stupid is not fixable.  All we can do is prevent it from spreading, and for that, we all need to speak up. 

On 8/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyports/status/1299402878910513153

Its not about politics. Its about equality. Something everyone (should be) is for.

It IS about politics. "Defund the Police" is a political action. BLM is a political group. And as I said, politics have no place in the NHL. Period.

It's stopped being about equality a long time ago. Equality is law. It's a part of America's Constitution. Racism is now being exploited to push POLITICAL action. Cancelling games would be political, no matter how hard you try to justify it.

The NHL has already established it's "Hockey is for Everyone" initiative. It's goal as stated by the NHL:

Hockey is for Everyone™ uses the game of hockey - and the League's global influence - to drive positive social change and foster more inclusive communities.

The league has also investigated and taken action whenever accusations of prejudice are made within the league. They have literally already made it clear what their views are on issues like racism, sexism and homophobia. Cancelling games would be nothing more than pressured mob appeasement.

To cancel games over a sociopolitical issue will just cause further division among it's fan base. Not because they disagree with the message, but they disagree with the messenger or the way it's being delivered. 

Keep politics out of the NHL.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

So.... not racial diversity, but other kinds.....

Mike Milbury made a comment about how there are no women to distract the players in the bubble.  Women got offended.  I understood from context that he meant puck bunnies and/or WAGs, but they took it as all women- including reporters and trainers, etc.  Milbury "stepped aside" for the rest of the playoffs.

Days later, in the studio, Anson Carter was taking about racial diversity and causing offense.  He compared it to when he had referred to the "ladies' tee".  Kathryn Tappen had taken offense and he apologized to her and never used the term again.  His point was that he had never heard that the term was offensive to women, but if she was offended by it, that was enough reason for him to not use it.

Now tonight, Pierre McGuire referred to left-handed goalies as "silly siders".  AJ Mleczko replied that she had two left-handed children.  McGuire told her that he had been told by a scout that that is what they were called.

So, does left-handedness fall under the whole "diversity" umbrella?  Should Pierre be apologizing or whatever?  As a left-handed person, I laughed, but then again, I also laughed at Milbury's comment and was confused by Carter's, so maybe I'm not the one to gauge whether or not something is offensive. 

What do y'all think?  How far does "diversity" and "everyone" and all that go?

On 8/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, 55fan said:

Racism is real.  Racism is stupid. 

On the other hand, if we look at how many players in the league are from Canada (almost half) and Europe (over a quarter) it seems out of place for the players to do things the way that the other leagues have been doing.  Kneeling for anthems comes to mind.  It's one thing to disrespect one's own flag and military.  It's quite another to disrespect one's host country's flag and military if one is a visitor. 

Taking a couple of days off for reflection on the state of racism in the world and its implications on the lives of people everywhere is a reasonable action for a league with a lot of national, if not racial, diversity.  I am glad to see any group of people acknowledge the need to improve racial relations without doing anything which is violent, destructive, or insulting to another group of people who likely despise racism as much as they do.

Now if only we could convince racist people that their actions are stupid.  Unfortunately, stupid is not fixable.  All we can do is prevent it from spreading, and for that, we all need to speak up. 

Are you referring to Matt Dumba here? Cause I agree that was mental. Being a Canadian living in America - kneeling for the American anthem - then standing for the Canadian anthem... bro what? It's one thing when our own people kneel... it's another to be a guest here and kneel. But then on top of that to have the audacity to stand then for your own counties anthem, as if racism doesn't exist in Canada and only in the USA. Just please. What a farce, poorly thought out virtue signal. I guess Canadian black lives don't matter then? Go back to Saskatoon if you don't like it here Dumba55.

20 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It IS about politics. "Defund the Police" is a political action. BLM is a political group. And as I said, politics have no place in the NHL. Period.

It's stopped being about equality a long time ago. Equality is law. It's a part of America's Constitution. Racism is now being exploited to push POLITICAL action. Cancelling games would be political, no matter how hard you try to justify it.

The NHL has already established it's "Hockey is for Everyone" initiative. It's goal as stated by the NHL:

Hockey is for Everyone™ uses the game of hockey - and the League's global influence - to drive positive social change and foster more inclusive communities.

The league has also investigated and taken action whenever accusations of prejudice are made within the league. They have literally already made it clear what their views are on issues like racism, sexism and homophobia. Cancelling games would be nothing more than pressured mob appeasement.

To cancel games over a sociopolitical issue will just cause further division among it's fan base. Not because they disagree with the message, but they disagree with the messenger or the way it's being delivered. 

Keep politics out of the NHL.

Read it again:

It's not about politics in sports. You're the only one mixing things up and getting confused here.

Last I checked the HDA said nothing about BLM or defunding the police... their demands have been hockey and NHL related in reference to the racism in this sport. Hokey needs equality.

12 hours ago, 55fan said:

So.... not racial diversity, but other kinds.....

Mike Milbury made a comment about how there are no women to distract the players in the bubble.  Women got offended.  I understood from context that he meant puck bunnies and/or WAGs, but they took it as all women- including reporters and trainers, etc.  Milbury "stepped aside" for the rest of the playoffs.

Days later, in the studio, Anson Carter was taking about racial diversity and causing offense.  He compared it to when he had referred to the "ladies' tee".  Kathryn Tappen had taken offense and he apologized to her and never used the term again.  His point was that he had never heard that the term was offensive to women, but if she was offended by it, that was enough reason for him to not use it.

Now tonight, Pierre McGuire referred to left-handed goalies as "silly siders".  AJ Mleczko replied that she had two left-handed children.  McGuire told her that he had been told by a scout that that is what they were called.

So, does left-handedness fall under the whole "diversity" umbrella?  Should Pierre be apologizing or whatever?  As a left-handed person, I laughed, but then again, I also laughed at Milbury's comment and was confused by Carter's, so maybe I'm not the one to gauge whether or not something is offensive. 

What do y'all think?  How far does "diversity" and "everyone" and all that go?

Loosely related... Robin Lehner came out and said he would have definitely been out of the NHL if he had come forward with his drinking problem and not been white. These are the types of subtle underlying racist privileges white players enjoy in the NHL. Glad folks are finally speaking up. I'm not sure how far is too far thou.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Are you referring to Matt Dumba here? Cause I agree that was mental. Being a Canadian living in America - kneeling for the American anthem - then standing for the Canadian anthem... bro what? It's one thing when our own people kneel... it's another to be a guest here and kneel. But then on top of that to have the audacity to stand then for your own counties anthem, as if racism doesn't exist in Canada and only in the USA. Just please. What a farce, poorly thought out virtue signal. I guess Canadian black lives don't matter then? Go back to Saskatoon if you don't like it here Dumba55.

I wasn't referring to Dumba specifically.  I'd actually shared the thoughts you'd quoted on another forum before Dumba did it.  It was regarding why hockey players in general haven't been kneeling when other leagues have been.  I'd had to explain to non-hockey fans why we haven't. 

Dumba kneeling for the US anthem and not the Canadian did not sit well with me.  However the Wild are my second team (after the Wings, natch) and I have been a fan of Dumba for his on-ice abilities.  Off the ice, he has been vocal about minority rights, but has been equally vocal against violence and destruction as a means of protest.  He has personally donated money and has raised money to rebuild and help those who have been victimized by the riots in Minneapolis. 

I see his actions of kneeling for one anthem and not the other as a very poor choice on his part, which probably wasn't thought out.  The next game, he did not kneel, but had his fist raised (although it was hard to tell in a hockey glove) for both anthems.

Honestly, the whole thing has become worrisome.  Some "they" out there (because there's always a "they" who say things) says that if you don't act a certain way, you disagree or are the enemy.  If you don't kneel for the anthem, you are automatically a racist.  This puts some people in a bind.  There was a football player who was also a veteran who would not kneel.  He became a hero to some and a goat for others.  By not kneeling, he was doing his sworn duty as a military man, but he was also against racism.  Because "they" said he had to kneel, they put him in a bad position.

I understand this.  I have relatives who serve in the Armed Forces.  I have relatives who are black.  I have one who is black and serves.  How do I honour her?  By standing or kneeling? 

I have always stood (at games).  At home, I put my hand on my heart and sing along.  I do this for both anthems because I lived in Canada for a while as a child and consider it a second home.  I honour my country because it is mine and Canada as one would stand to honour a best friend who was being honoured.  None of this has anything to do with my hatred of racism against all minorities, and quite frankly, I feel that "they" have overstepped their bounds by telling me how I must act to reflect my feelings.

Sorry.  This turned into a rant.  I'll shut up now.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Read it again:

It's not about politics in sports. You're the only one mixing things up and getting confused here.

Last I checked the HDA said nothing about BLM or defunding the police... their demands have been hockey and NHL related in reference to the racism in this sport. Hokey needs equality.

Loosely related... Robin Lehner came out and said he would have definitely been out of the NHL if he had come forward with his drinking problem and not been white. These are the types of subtle underlying racist privileges white players enjoy in the NHL. Glad folks are finally speaking up. I'm not sure how far is too far thou.

"We're not being political." As I said, you can try to separate social from political all you want. But the 2 are already in bed together on this issue. Calling an apple an orange doesn't make it an orange.

5 hours ago, 55fan said:

I wasn't referring to Dumba specifically.  I'd actually shared the thoughts you'd quoted on another forum before Dumba did it.  It was regarding why hockey players in general haven't been kneeling when other leagues have been.  I'd had to explain to non-hockey fans why we haven't. 

Dumba kneeling for the US anthem and not the Canadian did not sit well with me.  However the Wild are my second team (after the Wings, natch) and I have been a fan of Dumba for his on-ice abilities.  Off the ice, he has been vocal about minority rights, but has been equally vocal against violence and destruction as a means of protest.  He has personally donated money and has raised money to rebuild and help those who have been victimized by the riots in Minneapolis. 

I see his actions of kneeling for one anthem and not the other as a very poor choice on his part, which probably wasn't thought out.  The next game, he did not kneel, but had his fist raised (although it was hard to tell in a hockey glove) for both anthems.

Honestly, the whole thing has become worrisome.  Some "they" out there (because there's always a "they" who say things) says that if you don't act a certain way, you disagree or are the enemy.  If you don't kneel for the anthem, you are automatically a racist.  This puts some people in a bind.  There was a football player who was also a veteran who would not kneel.  He became a hero to some and a goat for others.  By not kneeling, he was doing his sworn duty as a military man, but he was also against racism.  Because "they" said he had to kneel, they put him in a bad position.

I understand this.  I have relatives who serve in the Armed Forces.  I have relatives who are black.  I have one who is black and serves.  How do I honour her?  By standing or kneeling? 

I have always stood (at games).  At home, I put my hand on my heart and sing along.  I do this for both anthems because I lived in Canada for a while as a child and consider it a second home.  I honour my country because it is mine and Canada as one would stand to honour a best friend who was being honoured.  None of this has anything to do with my hatred of racism against all minorities, and quite frankly, I feel that "they" have overstepped their bounds by telling me how I must act to reflect my feelings.

Sorry.  This turned into a rant.  I'll shut up now.

You can start by utilizing your 1st Amendment rights and do it however you think is right and stop seeking approval from the intolerant woke mob.

18 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

"We're not being political." As I said, you can try to separate social from political all you want. But the 2 are already in bed together on this issue. Calling an apple an orange doesn't make it an orange.

Since when is equality a political issue to be debated? It's enshrined in the constitution.

18 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You can start by utilizing your 1st Amendment rights and do it however you think is right and stop seeking approval from the intolerant woke mob.

Hate speech is not free speech. C'mon dude.

Also this is about Diversity in hockey. Quit derailing with your memorized lines from Fox News and keep it on topic.

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Would it be wrong if the NHL apologized for the missed games, admitted they only did it because they followed the NBA's lead, and didn't want to be criticized by the media?  

Wrong? Probably. True?......................

4 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Define 'free' for me, pls.

No problem my oppressed European brother.

In USA we have freedom of speech. This is freedom to say just about anything in public... But there's the key words: "Just about". Because you do not have the freedom to use "fighting words". Fighting words as defined by wickerpedia: Fighting words are written or spoken words intended to incite hatred or violence from their target.

Therefore hate speech is not free speech. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No problem my oppressed European brother.

In USA we have freedom of speech. This is freedom to say just about anything in public... But there's the key words: "Just about". Because you do not have the freedom to use "fighting words". Fighting words as defined by wickerpedia: Fighting words are written or spoken words intended to incite hatred or violence from their target.

Therefore hate speech is not free speech. Thank you.

Thank you. I'm glad they put the 'Just about' part in the constitution for you guys.

Would you say that 'fighting words' are just as bad as actual violence or worse?

13 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Thank you. I'm glad they put the 'Just about' part in the constitution for you guys.

It's not in the constitution. But the supreme court has routinely ruled that fighting words are not protected under the 1st amendment.

15 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Would you say that 'fighting words' are just as bad as actual violence or worse?

Well since it is permissible to use violence in response to fighting words, then fighting words are therefore worse.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Since when is equality a political issue to be debated? It's enshrined in the constitution.

Hate speech is not free speech. C'mon dude.

Also this is about Diversity in hockey. Quit derailing with your memorized lines from Fox News and keep it on topic.

Where did I say anything hateful? I simply suggested for her to honor others in whatever way she sees fit, and not to worry about what the self-appointed virtue police think.

And I am not derailing anything. The NHL has already taken a public stance on their support of racial diversity and inclusion in the both the league and sport. This is not political.

To take it further and cancel games following a reported incident, that was once again fueled by premature conclusions, missing facts, false information, and confirmation bias, much of it politically driven, is a huge mistake for the NHL.

The promotion of equality and diversity thru outreach programs is completely apolitical. 

But if you're cancelling games over an incident that is absolutely being politicized, that would be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Where did I say anything hateful? I simply suggested for her to honor others in whatever way she sees fit, and not to worry about what the self-appointed virtue police think.

And I am not derailing anything. The NHL has already taken a public stance on their support of racial diversity and inclusion in the both the league and sport. This is not political.

To take it further and cancel games following a reported incident, that was once again fueled by premature conclusions, missing facts, false information, and confirmation bias, much of it politically driven, is a huge mistake for the NHL.

The promotion of equality and diversity thru outreach programs is completely apolitical. 

But if you're cancelling games over an incident that is absolutely being politicized, that would be wrong.

The NHL didn't cancel anything. The league is as bigoted as it ever was.

It was the players who took a stand and forced the stoppage. Watch the presser. They didn't mention Jacob Blake once. They stopped the game to recognize that black people (and black NHLers) are not treated equally in this country. The league would be smart to seize the opportunity and cancel play, but they won't because they'd rather cling to muh precious racism then dare to see equality achieved.