• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Red Wings players / prospects on loan

Rate this topic

On 10/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, krsmith17 said:

Can anyone explain why this wasn't a goal???

Great to see him drive the net. Would have been a good goal in the NHL...

Perhaps they have some stupid rule about goalies losing their stick or they thought Berggren knocked his stick from the goalie?   Hate to have a pretty nice play go unrewarded in that way.

24 minutes ago, FlipLiquid said:

From what I can tell of his lineup:

Zadina - Larkin - Gurianov
Mantha - Wahlstrom - Raymond
Bertuzzi - Veleno - Gaudreau
Tatar - Athanasiou - Kessell

Hjalmarsson - Brannstrom
Giordano - Montour
Seider

Bernier

Mantha plays center on the PP

Gaudreau wears Datsyuk's #13 and Giordano wears Kronwall's #55.

I hate his voice and I hate him

It's probably @nyqvististhefuture

Just now, Akakabuto said:

Your trolling has gone too far.

Patiently waiting for him to eventually choose between Rusco, Flip, Luther Manhole, and Yucatan.........

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

By the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet's live feed it's reported that Kronwall is drinking beer and Zetterberg water.

LOL it looked like a bottle of vodka or something to me, unless it was a very fancy bottle of water.

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL it looked like a bottle of vodka or something to me, unless it was a very fancy bottle of water.

I hope it’s vodka. It would be nice if the one who’s on the clock tonight as a member of Detroits player development staff isn’t the only one boozin’. 

That's a nice goal, and the sort of offense I'd want to see from him in this league. Good to see his skill game coming along. When you watch his highlights from last season in the AHL there were a lot of junk goals and secondary assists, which makes me skeptical of his offensive upside. If he can consistently score in ways like today I'll feel a lot better about his scoring game.

52 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

That's a nice goal, and the sort of offense I'd want to see from him in this league. Good to see his skill game coming along. When you watch his highlights from last season in the AHL there were a lot of junk goals and secondary assists, which makes me skeptical of his offensive upside. If he can consistently score in ways like today I'll feel a lot better about his scoring game.

Veleno has always been a year ahead in his development, compared to his peers. He was drafted into the QMJHL a year early, and 4 years later made the jump to the AHL a year early. He should have never been in the AHL last season, only for the exceptional status. He still put up nearly half a point per game as a 19/20 year old rookie, playing against men. I don't see any reason to be skeptical of Veleno's offensive upside. I still think he'll be a legit 2C capable of putting up 50+ points.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno has always been a year ahead in his development, compared to his peers. He was drafted into the QMJHL a year early, and 4 years later made the jump to the AHL a year early. He should have never been in the AHL last season, only for the exceptional status. He still put up nearly half a point per game as a 19/20 year old rookie, playing against men. I don't see any reason to be skeptical of Veleno's offensive upside. I still think he'll be a legit 2C capable of putting up 50+ points.

Veleno didn't "jump to the AHL early". He was drafted at 18, played his draft +1 year in the QMJHL at 19, and debuted in the AHL at 20. For comparison's sake, Zadina debuted in the AHL as a 19 year old, and Seider did so at 18. THEY jumped to the AHL early. Veleno was only "early" compared to other CHL players because of their agreement with the NHL. Europeans do it all the time. And by way of a comparison, Zadina was a MUCH more productive AHL player at 19 than Veleno was at 20. Probably because Veleno's offense needs some work.

Questions about Veleno's offensive upside didn't originate with me, and they were the reason he fell all the way down the draft board. If you wanna pretend like they don't exist that's on you.

41 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Another Larkin would be useful.

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Veleno didn't "jump to the AHL early". He was drafted at 18, played his draft +1 year in the QMJHL at 19, and debuted in the AHL at 20. For comparison's sake, Zadina debuted in the AHL as a 19 year old, and Seider did so at 18. THEY jumped to the AHL early. Veleno was only "early" compared to other CHL players because of their agreement with the NHL. Europeans do it all the time. And by way of a comparison, Zadina was a MUCH more productive AHL player at 19 than Veleno was at 20. Probably because Veleno's offense needs some work.

Questions about Veleno's offensive upside didn't originate with me, and they were the reason he fell all the way down the draft board. If you wanna pretend like they don't exist that's on you.

LOL settle down there guy...

Veleno debuted in the AHL at 19. He played 3 1/2 months as a 19 year old, 2 months as a 20 year old. And he absolutely did jump to the AHL early. If you want to pretend he didn't just because some other European's have jumped earlier, that's on you...

Zadina was drafted 6th overall. Veleno was drafted 30th overall. Big difference. Veleno is still ahead of guys like Dellandrea and Foudy offensively, who were both drafted ahead of him.

I'm not saying that Veleno is an elite offensive dynamo. I'm saying that his offensive deficiencies are being vastly overstated.

You said "Good to see his skill game coming along". The skill game has always been there. He demonstrated that in his D+1 season, and once he's adapted to playing against men, he will show it in the AHL, and eventually NHL.

9 minutes ago, mackel said:

Another Larkin would be useful.

If Veleno turns into another Larkin I'll be thrilled. But I don't think a center group anchored by two guys like that would stand much of a chance against the top offensive centers in the league. I don't think they'd score enough, in enough different ways, to compete for a Cup. But it's nothing to turn your nose up at. I'd rather have two guys like that than just one. I mean, there ARE examples of teams that have won the Cup without elite offensive centers. Boston in 2011, St. Louis a couple years ago. But it's not like those were dominant teams that had staying power. Hardly the teams I'd be trying to emulate as a GM.

The ONLY team that was both dominant, and weak at center, was Chicago and they happened to have HoF level talent at defense (Keith) and on the wings (Kane and Hossa). So I suppose if we want to be weak down the middle we might wanna find some Hall of Fame level talent everywhere else, and pronto.