• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Red Wings players / prospects on loan

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

If Veleno turns into another Larkin I'll be thrilled. But I don't think a center group anchored by two guys like that would stand much of a chance against the top offensive centers in the league. I don't think they'd score enough, in enough different ways, to compete for a Cup. But it's nothing to turn your nose up at. I'd rather have two guys like that than just one. I mean, there ARE examples of teams that have won the Cup without elite offensive centers. Boston in 2011, St. Louis a couple years ago. But it's not like those were dominant teams that had staying power. Hardly the teams I'd be trying to emulate as a GM.

The ONLY team that was both dominant, and weak at center, was Chicago and they happened to have HoF level talent at defense (Keith) and on the wings (Kane and Hossa). So I suppose if we want to be weak down the middle we might wanna find some Hall of Fame level talent everywhere else, and pronto.

Woah woah woah woah. I thought O'Reilly was like the best center in the game? Didn't you prove to us that his point totals were irrelevant because he was so ******* awesome at everything else? 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Woah woah woah woah. I thought O'Reilly was like the best center in the game? Didn't you prove to us that his point totals were irrelevant because he was so ******* awesome at everything else? 

He is awesome at everything else. But he's not an elite scorer. Both can be true. Seems a lot easier to win with centers who can score than with a Brayden Schenn as your 2C, despite how good O'Reilly is. Clearly it can happen, because it did, but I wouldn't use that team as some model. If saying so is some "gotcha" moment then okay, but I don't think I'm contradicting myself.

Huge if true. The Hockey News penned an article about the top players in Europe and highlighted Jonatan Berggren. They have him listed at center. Not sure if he's currently torching the SHL down the middle, but if so I'm overjoyed.

"Jonatan Berggren, C, Skelleftea (SHL): Speed, smarts and great hands are Berggren's trademarks and the Detroit Red Wings prospect has really been putting all three together with 13 points in nine games for Skelleftea, making him the third-highest scorer in the league right now. The 2017 second-rounder has already eclipsed the 12 points in 24 games he had in the SHL last season."

46 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Huge if true. The Hockey News penned an article about the top players in Europe and highlighted Jonatan Berggren. They have him listed at center. Not sure if he's currently torching the SHL down the middle, but if so I'm overjoyed.

"Jonatan Berggren, C, Skelleftea (SHL): Speed, smarts and great hands are Berggren's trademarks and the Detroit Red Wings prospect has really been putting all three together with 13 points in nine games for Skelleftea, making him the third-highest scorer in the league right now. The 2017 second-rounder has already eclipsed the 12 points in 24 games he had in the SHL last season."

I watched a Skelleftea game last week, and that entire game Berggren played on the top line wing, with (ironically) Andreas Wingerli as his center. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's played much, if any center at all this season.

I do find it kind of funny though, that you of all people, not only brought this up, but are "overjoyed" by Berggren potentially playing center. Berggren was drafted as a winger. How is it possible that a winger can transition to center? That can't happen... Can it?

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I watched a Skelleftea game last week, and that entire game Berggren played on the top line wing, with (ironically) Andreas Wingerli as his center. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's played much, if any center at all this season.

I do find it kind of funny though, that you of all people, not only brought this up, but are "overjoyed" by Berggren potentially playing center. Berggren was drafted as a winger. How is it possible that a winger can transition to center? That can't happen... Can it?

I said players don't typically switch from wing to center at the NHL level. So your "gotcha" attempt is just as inaccurate as the last one. Nice try though. Find one instance in which I said junior age players never switch positions. I'll wait.

This post is peak KRsmith though. You watched ONE game of the NINE he's played in which he played on the wing, and you concluded that you "don't think he's played much, if any, center". If it happened one out of nine times it's good enough for you eh buddy?

Edited by kipwinger

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I said players don't typically switch from wing to center at the NHL level. So your "gotcha" attempt is just as inaccurate as the last one. Nice try though. Find one instance in which I said junior age players never switch positions. I'll wait.

This post is peak KRsmith though. You watched ONE game of the NINE he's played in which he played on the wing, and you concluded that you "don't think he's played much, if any, center". If it happened one out of nine times it's good enough for you eh buddy?

The SHL is not "junior", it's pro. In regards to "age", Berggren is 20, and has played wing his entire career. You said that it was dumb to think that Lafreniere, who has also played his entire career at wing, was 18 at the time, actually playing junior hockey, couldn't successfully transition to center...

This post is peak kipwinger though. You assume because I only watched ONE game of the NINE he's played, that I haven't been paying attention to the other EIGHT games he's played... I have, and I just double checked. According to all 9 of the opening lineup sheets, he has played on Wingerli's wing... 

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

To be fair, I can't think of one drafted winger who switched to center at the NHL level. If they could play center in juniors, they would be. Why would you transition a kid who can play a more desirable position to a less desirable one?

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

To be fair, I can't think of one drafted winger who switched to center at the NHL level. If they could play center in juniors, they would be.

Any forward can play center, and most have played center at some point in their young career. Very few NHL wingers have never played center at some point in their career. These guys grow up as the best players on their respective teams right through minor hockey to junior, and most play center at some point. That's why we see more players transitioning from center to wing, and not as many transitioning from wing to center. It has nothing to do with center being a harder position to play. These are elite athletes, especially in the case of Lafreniere. If he wanted to, or if a coach wanted him to, I'm sure he could successfully transition from wing to center.

The same applies to Berggren. I don't doubt for a second that he could transition to center, but the same as Fabbri, I think he may be better suited on the wing.

Either way, Berggren hasn't played any center *yet* this season, and likely won't make the switch.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why would you transition a kid who can play a more desirable position to a less desirable one?

In what world is wing a "more desirable position" than center?

47 minutes ago, ely s said:

so far I could not find anything about the injury. Has anyone some sort of info ?

http://www.dagenshockey.com/2020/10/22/hpkn-sairastuvan-ovet-kayvat-mcisaac-palaa-detroitiin/rss_feed/

anyone able to translate?

I'm not sure. It looked like the hand or wrist. I'm not sure if it's broken or fractured or what... He took a hit from behind. I'm not sure if he was injured from the hit into the boards, or from the fall to the ice...

Seider vs Raymond / Niederbach / Soderblom today at 1:00 EST. Veleno also playing same time. Berggren's game is being postponed...

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The SHL is not "junior", it's pro. In regards to "age", Berggren is 20, and has played wing his entire career. You said that it was dumb to think that Lafreniere, who has also played his entire career at wing, was 18 at the time, actually playing junior hockey, couldn't successfully transition to center...

This post is peak kipwinger though. You assume because I only watched ONE game of the NINE he's played, that I haven't been paying attention to the other EIGHT games he's played... I have, and I just double checked. According to all 9 of the opening lineup sheets, he has played on Wingerli's wing... 

I said Lafreniere WOULDN'T play center in the NHL, as some (including Wayne Gretzky) insinuated. I stand beside that. He will never, ever, play center consistently in the NHL. I don't see why this is so hard for you to admit. Most wingers don't switch to center in the NHL. It almost never happens. But centers switch to the wing all the f*cking time. This is hardly controversial.

Congratulations on the 2nd part. You literally answered the question I asked in my very first post (i.e. was the Hockey New article wrong when they listed him at center). If you'd led with that instead of being a snarky douchebag we wouldn't having this conversation. It was a legitimate question because they watch more international hockey than I do and as a result may have been aware of a positional change that I wasn't.

Edited by kipwinger

I´ve only seen the first and third period of Seider´s game, but Seider left a real good impression, playing in all situations. First Period for Raymond was tough, in the third he picked his game up a bit, but nothing noteworthy.

3 hours ago, ely s said:

so far I could not find anything about the injury. Has anyone some sort of info ?

http://www.dagenshockey.com/2020/10/22/hpkn-sairastuvan-ovet-kayvat-mcisaac-palaa-detroitiin/rss_feed/

anyone able to translate?

McIsaacs injury needs follow-up treatment and Detroit has recalled the player back home for treatment.

McIsaac wont be returning to HPK Hämeenlinna this season. 

And thats it, dont know anymore but heard from HPK fans last friday that he was injured in his first shift. 

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I said Lafreniere WOULDN'T play center in the NHL, as some (including Wayne Gretzky) insinuated. I stand beside that. He will never, ever, play center consistently in the NHL. I don't see why this is so hard for you to admit.

I've already "admitted" that Lafreniere likely won't ever play center at the NHL level. My point was that elite players with high hockey IQ can transition from wing to center. Not that they necessarily will... 

Most wingers don't switch to center in the NHL. It almost never happens. But centers switch to the wing all the f*cking time. This is hardly controversial.

No, it's not controversial. I've never argued this point. I've even explained why this is often the case. Most elite forwards grow up playing center at some point in their career. Once they league up to junior, and eventually pro, a lot of these centers will have to transition to the wing, simply because there's not enough room for them all to continue playing center... That's why *most* elite NHL forwards are centers.

Congratulations on the 2nd part. You literally answered the question I asked in my very first post (i.e. was the Hockey New article wrong when they listed him at center). If you'd led with that instead of being a snarky douchebag we wouldn't having this conversation. It was a legitimate question because they watch more international hockey than I do and as a result may have been aware of a positional change that I wasn't.

I'm the snarky douchebag? LOL

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

In what world is wing a "more desirable position" than center?

It's not. I was referring to transitioning from center to wing. 

If Laf was good enough at center to play the position, then why would his junior team play their best forward on the wing? It makes no sense. 

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

31 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's not. I was referring to transitioning from center to wing. 

If Laf was good enough at center to play the position, then why would his junior team play their best forward on the wing? It makes no sense. 

Lafreniere may be one of the rare forwards that didn't play much center growing up. Maybe he just prefers playing the wing. You can't seriously think that Lafreniere wasn't "good enough" to play center in the Q?...