• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

blueadams

2020 Draft Thoughts - Defensemen.

Rate this topic

*There's room for 25 threads on the front-page.  At least 10 of the most important 25 things to talk about this month regarding this franchise are draft-related.  Jamming all of that discussion into a single, 100+ post thread (that's become 95% about some Swedish Draper conspiracy theory), IMHO, is stupid.  If the moderators disagree, feel free to jam this in there somewhere as well*

I'd really, really love to hear the board's thoughts on some of these DMan we've taken today!!

DEFENSE.  
-Pre-Draft Outlook: 
...RD: Seider's sounding like a nice bet to be a #1 DMan on the right side.  Hronek is a good bet to be a 2nd-pair right side DMan.  Tuomisto was drafted in the 2nd rd last yr and sounds like a solid bet to be a 3rd-pair DMan on the right-side.  Gustav Berglund, a 6th rd pick in Yzerman's 1st draft, has already been impressing..  and could potentially be a roster guy someday.  Holland pick Gustav Lindstrom, 21, has been solid.  Holland pick Seth Barton, 21, still in college is a little bit of a long shot, but worth mentioning.
...LD: Johansson was drafted in the 2nd rd last yr; he's sounding like someone who's a good bet to be a 2nd or 3rd pair DMan on the left-side.  Cholowski is still only 22, but approaching make or break time as a very talented Holland pick on the left-side.  McIsaac, 20, is still a well-regarded Holland pick on the left-side.  Cooper Moore, 19, a 5th rd pick in Yzerman's 1st draft is a bit of a mystery--but still worth mentioning.

Picks:

Wallinder.  Looks like quite the blank canvas to me.  Very big obviously, skates well enough, not a pu$$y, okay puck skills, doesn't seem stupid.  Looks like someone who'll need a lot of development and teaching.  But could probably be a solid 3rd-pair DMan, a PK guy, a defensively responsible guy who you don't notice in a good way.

Sebrango.  He actually looks a little more exciting to me than Wallinder.  He moves with the puck really well, good shooter, good passer, tough, hits, smart, fast.  I figured he must've slipped because he made mistakes in his own zone..  but it sounds like that's not the case at all.  He seems like a guy that'll be in Red and White.

Viro.  Not really any film available on him that I can find.  Drafting 3 LHD in the first 3 rd's today doesn't seem to reflect very well on Cholowski or McIsaac.  He sounds a lot like Johansson did last year.  Very, very good skater.  Big brain.  Some puck skills.

Cotton.  He looks like not that great of a skater, and like a guy who needs a lot of work in his own end.  But what a shot.  Seems like a good PP point-guy too, smart passes, okay with the puck.  Not a bad looker for a 5th rd'er.

Aucoin.  No film on him that I can find.  Not much re: scouting either.  LH, pretty average size.  Dad played in the NHL.  Going to Harvard.  Said to be a stay-at-home defenseman with high compete-level.  

Post-Draft Outlook:
...RD: Right side is looking good, still, obviously.  Top-2 there in Seider and Hronek.  You like Tuomisto.  You like Berglund.  Cotton's interesting.  Lindstrom's still there.  Maybe another 2nd or 3rd rd pick to shore things up here next yr.
...LD: The depth here is starting to look really, really, really good.  Johansson, Wallinder, Viro, McIsaac, Cholowski.  2 or 3 of those guys for sure can be solid 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman.  Will one be a 1st pair type?  That's sort of the question here.  May end up using our 1st rd pick in next yr's draft to get a really solid partner for Seider.

Thoughts??

Edited by blueadams

I think we already have 5 bonafide NHLers at D for the next several years: Seider, Hronek, McIsaac as top 4's, Lindstrom and Cholowski as bottom pair guys. We are still in desperate need of a top pair LD that may already be in the system (unlikely), or may be our lottery pick next year (more likely). I dont think our D corp is elite by any means, but I think we have a good foundation that can be solidified thru trades and free agency.

Everything I see about Seider is Top pair. Not sure if he will be #1 or #2. A top Pair LHD is needed.

Hronek I really Like. I think a legit #3 and second line anchor. A quality LHD at #4 and Our top 4 will be real solid.

Even with a small sampling I like Lindstom  at #5. I think he will be real good on the bottom pair.

I haven't seen much on McIssac, but hopefully he can take the #4 or bump Lindstrom to #6.

Cholowski I think is a wash. I had hopes for him, but I don't think he makes it.

I don't really know enough about the others from last year's or this years draft to comment on.

53 minutes ago, WRusco said:

Everything I see about Seider is Top pair. Not sure if he will be #1 or #2. A top Pair LHD is needed.

Hronek I really Like. I think a legit #3 and second line anchor. A quality LHD at #4 and Our top 4 will be real solid.

Even with a small sampling I like Lindstom  at #5. I think he will be real good on the bottom pair.

I haven't seen much on McIssac, but hopefully he can take the #4 or bump Lindstrom to #6.

Cholowski I think is a wash. I had hopes for him, but I don't think he makes it.

I don't really know enough about the others from last year's or this years draft to comment on.

Wow. Gave up on cholowski after half a bad season. 

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

How many accounts does one man need on this site?

Only 1

50 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Wow. Gave up on cholowski after half a bad season. 

If he proves me wrong, Fine. I just don't think the Hockey IQ is there.

Cotton my favorite pick here. I can't tell you what his future looks like, but I really like his story. I am really rooting for Cotton to be a steal for us.

In many ways what I said about Raymond in the forward thread, I feel the same about Wallinder. I wish we some how pulled a rabbit out of our hats and mange to draft Khusnutdinov as well.

In all my favorite picks are:

Cotton, Niederbacher, Raymond, Wallinder. In that order more or less. It does not mean I think Cotton and Niederbacher will be betters players than Raymond and Wallinder. 

I give our draft a B+. A solid B+ at that. I would of given it a A- , but that Draper pick drops my grade.

Edited by xault

4 hours ago, xault said:

I give our draft a B+. A solid B+ at that. I would of given it a A- , but that Draper pick drops my grade.

LOL I'd love to hear who you believe was the major miss in the 7th round, that every single team passed on, that would have become a top six forward, top four defenseman, or starting goaltender...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL I'd love to hear who you believe was the major miss in the 7th round, that every single team passed on, that would have become a top six forward, top four defenseman, or starting goaltender...

What? It's not about having a major miss. It's about miss using an asset, so daddy can have his boy on the same team. Draper kid wasn't gonna be drafted, easily of just signed him outside of the draft. It was a waste of an asset, I don't care what round it was. 

23 minutes ago, xault said:

What? It's not about having a major miss. It's about miss using an asset, so daddy can have his boy on the same team. Draper kid wasn't gonna be drafted, easily of just signed him outside of the draft. It was a waste of an asset, I don't care what round it was. 

>First year as scouting director
>Drafts his own kid

I swear this isn't some nepotistic old boys club tho...

53 minutes ago, xault said:

Draper's kid may not play a single game in the NHL, but that goes for any 7th round pick. Whoever the Wings would have picked in his place, likely wouldn't have made it either. And whichever one of the prospects that went undrafted because of this pick, can be signed as a free agent in a few years as well.

You may not care what round it was in, but it definitely matters. And no, it wasn't a "wasted asset", no more than any other kid they could have drafted in his place.

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Draper's kid may not play a single game in the NHL, but that goes for any 7th round pick. Whoever the Wings would have picked in his place, likely wouldn't have made it either. And whichever one of the prospects that went undrafted because of this pick, can be signed as a free agent in a few years as well.

You may not care what round it was in, but it definitely matters. And no, it wasn't a "wasted asset", no more than any other kid they could have drafted in his place.

I'm not huge on him taking his own kid, either, especially given the knowledge that he was more than likely going to go undrafted. Having said that, it's a 7th round pick and who cares. I'm almost certain ANY other scout in his situation would have done that same move.

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's cool, I understand what you are saying. I just disagree. An asset is an asset regardless of the value. Maybe it's my penny crusher ways, it's just what I think.

Just now, xault said:

It's cool, I understand what you are saying. I just disagree. An asset is an asset regardless of the value. Maybe it's my penny crusher ways, it's just what I think.

You don't understand... he's decided your take is bad. Heaven help you.

5 minutes ago, xault said:

Sure, but late round picks have minimal value, so I have zero issue with the cutesy feel good story. Draper was a warrior for the Red Wings. Throw him and his family bone. Again, it's not even like Kienan was a massive reach. He wasn't.

Let's say Yzerman really wanted to sign Turris (for example), and offered Nashville a 7th round pick for his negotiating rights. Would anyone care? No. It's a 7th round pick. Who gives a s***...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Sure, but late round picks have minimal value, so I have zero issue with the cutesy feel good story. Draper was a warrior for the Red Wings. Throw him and his family bone. Again, it's not even like Kienan was a massive reach. He wasn't.

Let's say Yzerman really wanted to sign Turris (for example), and offered Nashville a 7th round pick for his negotiating rights. Would anyone care? No. It's a 7th round pick. Who gives a s***...

It's all good brother. I welcome Kienan to prove his worth and me wrong. I cheer for it in fact, because that means the Wings only benefit from it.

Edited by xault

Kris was traded 4yrs into his pro career for $1.  He went on to win 4 Stanley Cup rings and to retire as one of the best defensive forwards in the history of the game.

I'm not a doctor, but I've heard bits and pieces over the yrs about these things called "genetics".  It seems there could be a chance the non-Draper staff thinks this Draper kid too could be a late bloomer..  they might even know a little bit about his character, work-ethic, intangibles and family.