• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
blueadams

Yzerman's 5th Year (2023-24) -- Looking ahead..

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, ely s said:

as you said, the most impressive thing was getting players, who really want to play here and not being here because no one else paid more. It looks like Detroit is becoming a better adress for players again.

Another thing he did, was buying out Abby, which surprised me a little bit, given the six years on the books. There must have been something that made Yzerman do that, characterwise or whatever. When he thinks something is not fitting right, he is not reluctant to make hard decisions. All we can hope is, that he learned from his time in Tampa, where he handed out long term $5m contracts with ntc´s to almost every other player.

Like most of the Red Wings, Abby never worked hard off the ice.  The team's strength conditioning plan is a failure, and the players never come in any stronger/faster/better than their last game.  Makes me miss Lidstrom and Datsyuk.  Those guys were gym rats that led by example.  Now we have the Larkin millenial era of the Wings where every player's upper body looks like an 8th grader's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Like most of the Red Wings, Abby never worked hard off the ice.  The team's strength conditioning plan is a failure, and the players never come in any stronger/faster/better than their last game.  Makes me miss Lidstrom and Datsyuk.  Those guys were gym rats that led by example.  Now we have the Larkin millenial era of the Wings where every player's upper body looks like an 8th grader's.

Scott is right, as always.

Good thing one of the first things Yzerman turned his attention to when taking over was player development and conditioning. He basically came right out and said Ken Hollands front office was years behind on these things. 

Edited by Akakabuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Scott is right, as always.

Good thing one of the first things Yzerman turned his attention to when taking over was player development and conditioning. He basically came right out and said Ken Hollands front office was years behind on these things. 

I hope they fix it, Aki.  Its not fun to watch prospects come in at 182 lbs and fail out of the system 5 years later at 184 lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for rippin’ reps and gettin’ gains boys

 

But yeah, I do think Yzerman completely resetting the strength and conditioning team was a big statement right from the get-go.

The thing I can’t figure out is how Blashill fits into this. Yzerman’s been trimming fat unceremoniously now for a minute and has a roster setup currently with next to no one signed in a couple years; he’ll only have his signings at that point aside from Larkin I believe. The team he’ll ice next year is no doubt going to look a lot better and likely improve a good deal in the standings. And in a couple years we really ought to start being competitive again.

So, as some have suggested, do we fire Blashill then and bring in a name when the team is ready? Doesn’t feel right if the team indeed improves as it no doubt inherently should no matter the coach. Seemed like if Yzerman was unhappy with Blashill, he’d make a move or have made a move at this point if only as a stopgap, as opposed to dragging Blashill through all the bad years until the team is actually ready and dumping him. Maybe this is Blashill’s “prove it” year now that he has a significantly upgraded roster in some regards at least. You’d also think he’d want his coach building the winning culture he’s trying to build right off the bat.

That said, I’m starting to think Blashill may be in it for the long haul. He obviously won’t stick around if a great roster drastically underperforms, but at this point I think that Blashill will indeed get the chance to take this team to the promised land. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Like most of the Red Wings, Abby never worked hard off the ice.  The team's strength conditioning plan is a failure, and the players never come in any stronger/faster/better than their last game.  Makes me miss Lidstrom and Datsyuk.  Those guys were gym rats that led by example.  Now we have the Larkin millenial era of the Wings where every player's upper body looks like an 8th grader's.

3c514126-551e-4b0b-826b-35ad3413a21e-lar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 3:41 PM, Scott R Lucidi said:

Like most of the Red Wings, Abby never worked hard off the ice.  The team's strength conditioning plan is a failure, and the players never come in any stronger/faster/better than their last game.  Makes me miss Lidstrom and Datsyuk.  Those guys were gym rats that led by example.  Now we have the Larkin millenial era of the Wings where every player's upper body looks like an 8th grader's.

Made me scratch my head when I first learned of this - the “poor conditioning standards”.

Are the guys not putting in the time, or is it the training itself that is outdated, or is it a bit of both?

Wonder what Big Buff did all those years during his offseason that made him such a workhorse on the blue line  :pizza:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Made me scratch my head when I first learned of this - the “poor conditioning standards”.

Are the guys not putting in the time, or is it the training itself that is outdated, or is it a bit of both?

Wonder what Big Buff did all those years during his offseason that made him such a workhorse on the blue line  :pizza:

Perfect human?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 players I would not mind adding next year in FA: Zach Hyman and Jamie Oleksiak.

Hyman a hard-working 40 pt winger who Toronto prolly can't afford anymore.

Oleksiak a LHD physical shutdown guy who's 6'7" 260 lbs. Took a big step in the playoffs and held down a top4 spot. We could afford the raise he needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FlipLiquid said:

2 players I would not mind adding next year in FA: Zach Hyman and Jamie Oleksiak.

Hyman a hard-working 40 pt winger who Toronto prolly can't afford anymore.

Oleksiak a LHD physical shutdown guy who's 6'7" 260 lbs. Took a big step in the playoffs and held down a top4 spot. We could afford the raise he needs.

.....who looked completely exposed by Tampa's puck possession and speed in the finals. 

We want to be Tampa, not the schmucks they hammered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

.....who looked completely exposed by Tampa's puck possession and speed in the finals.

Who say's? You?

He's been a 3rd pairing Dman most of his young career. But Dallas leaned on him heavy in these playoffs. He's 27 now and probably ready at this point to be 2nd pair. If we can have a massive shutdown guy at reasonable cost I'm for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlipLiquid said:

Who say's? You?

He's been a 3rd pairing Dman most of his young career. But Dallas leaned on him heavy in these playoffs. He's 27 now and probably ready at this point to be 2nd pair. If we can have a massive shutdown guy at reasonable cost I'm for it.

Is that you playing music in your avatar? You have a band? You play chimes n stuff? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this