• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Euro_Twins

2020 Free Agency

Rate this topic

Hmm..

I am gonna go with:

Jesper Fast, could be useful right handed shot winger. Just happens to be a Swedish boy...

Erik Gustafsson, Lefty D? Swedish Mafia makes a phone call?

Alexander Wennberg, Center depth and again more Swedish meatballs.

Malcolm Subban, 26 goalies still young enough to turn it around. Shown flashes of being a starter, maybe gets solid chance here without anyone in his way?

Tried to stay young.. Young for UFA that is and keeping the Swedish Mafia alive with some potential.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Stay away from any and all big name free agents. Don't sign anyone for longer than 2-3 max. I'd look at a stop-gap center like Turris, and a backup goaltender like Talbot, both on cheap, short-term deals.

Yzerman have been saying in interviews that the Red Wings will be conservative in free agency but also looking for a right handed forward, a goalie and maybe up to three defensemen. It sounds like you and him are in agreement. No long term deals. No big money.

Edited by Akakabuto

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Stay away from any and all big name free agents. Don't sign anyone for longer than 2-3 max. I'd look at a stop-gap center like Turris, and a backup goaltender like Talbot, both on cheap, short-term deals.

Agreed.

A young Goaltender with some potential to be a backup. 

Bring up the players from Grand Rapids who are not overseas. Throw enough against the wall, maybe one or two might stick.

14 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Yzerman have been saying in interviews that the Red Wings will be conservative in free agency but also looking for a right handed forward, a goalie and maybe up to three defensemen. It sounds like you and him are in agreement. No long term deals. No big money.

Yeah, short-term is key for any potential signing today, even if you have to go a little higher on AAV.

I'm just happy Yzerman realizes the need to add more right-handed forwards to the lineup. Something Holland neglected for years, and Yzerman is now addressing. He traded for and re-signed Gagner, he drafted two high-end right-handed forwards in Raymond and Niederbach, and now it looks like he wants to specifically sign another right-handed forward this weekend.

I really think Turris would be a great fit here on a short-term contract. He's still a quality middle six (top six on this team) center, but was just paid way too much. 2 years at $3M. Get it done Stevie!

A goalie is obviously needed as well, but three defensemen seems a bit excessive... I know Seider is staying in Sweden until March (at the earliest). Is the same the case for Lindstrom as well? He's playing in the Allsvenskan, below the SHL. I'm not sure if the same rules apply... Either way, we still have Hronek, Nemeth, DeKeyser, Staal, Cholowski, and Biega. I can see the need for one, maybe two defensemen. Tanev would be a good fit, on a short-term contract, but I can see him having a lot of interest from better teams than the Red Wings...

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, short-term is key for any potential signing today, even if you have to go a little higher on AAV.

I'm just happy Yzerman realizes the need to add more right-handed forwards to the lineup. Something Holland neglected for years, and Yzerman is now addressing. He traded for and re-signed Gagner, he drafted two high-end right-handed forwards in Raymond and Niederbach, and now it looks like he wants to specifically sign another right-handed forward this weekend.

I really think Turris would be a great fit here on a short-term contract. He's still a quality middle six (top six on this team) center, but was just paid way too much. 2 years at $3M. Get it done Stevie!

A goalie is obviously needed as well, but three defensemen seems a bit excessive... I know Seider is staying in Sweden until March (at the earliest). Is the same the case for Lindstrom as well? He's playing in the Allsvenskan, below the SHL. I'm not sure if the same rules apply... Either way, we still have Hronek, Nemeth, DeKeyser, Staal, Cholowski, and Biega. I can see the need for one, maybe two defensemen. Tanev would be a good fit, on a short-term contract, but I can see him having a lot of interest from better teams than the Red Wings...

Lets be honest, Staal, Nemeth, and Dekeyser aren't top4 Dman on a decent team. And Cholowski and Biega shouldn't be on an NHL team at all.

I'm all for more Dmen. Just keep term low for now.

I would say based on this

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/10/nhl-free-agency-how-to-watch-live-stream-1092020.html

and within the article this...

"The Detroit Red Wings have a lot of cap space, roughly $27 million, per capfriendly.com, but general manager Steve Yzerman said he plans to be “conservative.

so no expectations of a major splash....

39 minutes ago, DonHakan said:

Lets be honest, Staal, Nemeth, and Dekeyser aren't top4 Dman on a decent team. And Cholowski and Biega shouldn't be on an NHL team at all.

I'm all for more Dmen. Just keep term low for now.

I'm comfortable with all four of those defensemen playing big minutes all season. DeKeyser is a top four when healthy in my opinion. Nemeth and Staal need to play, and play well to have a chance at getting something at next year's trade deadline. I know you hate Cholowski, like you do most of our prospects, but the potential is there. He needs to be given a shot. I agree, Biega sucks, and shouldn't be anything more than a 7th defenseman. I think we need to add one top four calibre defenseman, on a short-term contract. Two at most. Three is overkill.

37 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If they don't sign Krug, Greiss, Dadonov and trade for at least one 2021 1st rounder this day will be a huge failure

F*** Krug! F*** Greiss! F*** Dadonov! Yes please to 2021 1st round pick. Bring on Fleury!

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm comfortable with all four of those defensemen playing big minutes all season. DeKeyser is a top four when healthy in my opinion. Nemeth and Staal need to play, and play well to have a chance at getting something at next year's trade deadline. I know you hate Cholowski, like you do most of our prospects, but the potential is there. He needs to be given a shot. I agree, Biega sucks, and shouldn't be anything more than a 7th defenseman. I think we need to add one top four calibre defenseman, on a short-term contract. Two at most. Three is overkill.

At some point this team needs to point it's nose towards Nonsuckville. I'd prefer if this started to slowly happen now. 

A top four of DeKeyser + Hronek + Stall + Nemeth would be ******* awful. 

Hot take: Being really bad has not worked out so well the last two seasons and has absolutely not worked out for us in the draft. Let's get this going. 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

F*** Krug! F*** Greiss! F*** Dadonov! Yes please to 2021 1st round pick. Bring on Fleury!

Yes. Yes. No good players please. Only bad ones. That's how to do it. 

I believe we already have a backup goalie in Bernier. We need to find a UFA G that will push for the #1 job, and possibly take it. There is a lot of talk that King Henrik would fit in Washington, but as a backup. If he feels he wants to start, maybe he'll choose a team where he could take the #1 job. 

I also want to see Krug here. I am sure I am in the minority, but like mentioned above, we don't have a top 1 or 2 D-man on this team. We need one...NOW. Sure, he'll be in his 30's by time we are contenders, but we have to have to worst D in the league. And I really don't want to watch the AHL D-men come up here and play (like Lashoff ) just to fill in the holes and pretty much watch a "tank" season again.  We need assets, make a couple of deals for D-men to get assets, and I would love to see Krug here to lead the kids when they return and into the future.  Make a deal for another D for assets, sign Krug, and also, I think it would ok to bring Andy Greene home as well for a year. We already are NOT going to see Lindstrom and Seider this year since they are in Sweden. I guess Hicketts would ok to have up to fill a hole if needed.

There are so MANY forwards available that would help this team, I won't even list their names. I'd still prefer to trade for a couple to get assets, but if we go the UFA route, we could always TDL them for assets as well.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not a big fan of Cholowski, but I think he needs another chance to prove or disprove himself. If he works out as a decent 3rd line D, fine. 

As far as big dollar, long term players, H__L no.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Dekeyser is vastly overpaid and is probably a 3rd pairing on most competitive teams.
Nemeth was the 6th Dman for Colorado. Coming here didn't suddenly give him top4 abilities and it showed on our defense last year.
Staal was the 5th Dman for NYR last year and he's projecting downward quickly.
Cholowski's been given shots and his performance was horrendous in all of them. The kid needs time in lesser leagues to gain some confidence.
Biega we agree is nothing more than a solid 7th man.

This is a team of all bottom pairing Dmen minus Hronek. I don't understand how that's hard to see. We need lots of help.

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I also want to see Krug here. I am sure I am in the minority, but like mentioned above, we don't have a top 1 or 2 D-man on this team. We need one...NOW. Sure, he'll be in his 30's by time we are contenders, but we have to have to worst D in the league. And I really don't want to watch the AHL D-men come up here and play (like Lashoff ) just to fill in the holes and pretty much watch a "tank" season again.  We need assets, make a couple of deals for D-men to get assets, and I would love to see Krug here to lead the kids when they return and into the future.  Make a deal for another D for assets, sign Krug, and also, I think it would ok to bring Andy Greene home as well for a year. We already are NOT going to see Lindstrom and Seider this year since they are in Sweden. I guess Hicketts would ok to have up to fill a hole if needed.

There are so MANY forwards available that would help this team, I won't even list their names. I'd still prefer to trade for a couple to get assets, but if we go the UFA route, we could always TDL them for assets as well.

Amen brother!

21 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

At some point this team needs to point it's nose towards Nonsuckville. I'd prefer if this started to slowly happen now. 

It is already slowly happening now...

21 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

A top four of DeKeyser + Hronek + Stall + Nemeth would be ******* awful. 

I agree. Which is why I said we should add a top four defenseman... That doesn't mean we should massively overpay in term and AAV for the 2nd best defenseman on the market, who will be well past his prime when we're ready to compete...

23 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Hot take: Being really bad has not worked out so well the last two seasons and has absolutely not worked out for us in the draft. Let's get this going. 

Hotter take: Being slightly better, aiming for mediocrity, may be slightly better in the short-term, but could be detrimental in the long-term...

Build through the draft, not free agency.

25 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yes. Yes. No good players please. Only bad ones. That's how to do it. 

Where did I say that I only want bad players? I mentioned Turris (good player), as well as Tanev (good player), and if we could add Fleury (good goalie), while adding an asset or two, that would be huge.

No rebuilding team should ever be in on the biggest free agents in my opinion, but if Krug is willing to sign short term, I'd consider it. The problem with that though, is that Krug is likely looking to sign his last big contract, and we would end up paying him for what he did in Boston, not what he will do in Detroit...

27 minutes ago, DonHakan said:

Dekeyser is vastly overpaid and is probably a 3rd pairing on most competitive teams.
Nemeth was the 6th Dman for Colorado. Coming here didn't suddenly give him top4 abilities and it showed on our defense last year.
Staal was the 5th Dman for NYR last year and he's projecting downward quickly.
Cholowski's been given shots and his performance was horrendous in all of them. The kid needs time in lesser leagues to gain some confidence.
Biega we agree is nothing more than a solid 7th man.

This is a team of all bottom pairing Dmen minus Hronek. I don't understand how that's hard to see. We need lots of help.

Again, DeKeyser, when healthy is a top 4 on most teams. I never said that Nemeth or Staal were top four defensemen, but they need to play, so we can get something for them at the trade deadline. Those spots can then be filled by Seider / Lindstrom when their seasons are over in Sweden.

I disagree on Cholowski. He needs to be given more of a leash in the NHL. Let him play his game. Give him sheltered minutes in an offensive role, offensive zone starts / power-play time. Don't try to turn him into something he's not.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree. Which is why I said we should add a top four defenseman... That doesn't mean we should massively overpay in term and AAV for the 2nd best defenseman on the market, who will be well past his prime when we're ready to compete...

Disagree. It's already been determined that in three years we'll have our top pair D (Wallinder/Seider) our #2C (Neiderbach) and the greatest 4th line center of all time (Rasmussen). How often do guys like Krug come along? Grab him now. He'll help immediately and he can still run a PP in 3 years when, apparently, this team will be awesome. 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Amen brother!

I just don't see the need to tank again. If we want our players to gain experience moving forward (and morale) they need to be competitive and make the playoffs, even if they lose in the 1st round. If these players keep playing "tank" season's, they aren't going to learn anything, they are going to get any better and their morale will be crap. Signing someone like Krug makes the team better now and later.  Their aren't many players on this team that we've drafted that have had playoff experience. Larkin went once. We need to get these "core" kids players that make them more competitive and make the playoffs. I am done with tanking "for player x" and I am sure players like Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi are a bit tired of the losing as well. Make this team better before these players become UFA's and leave.

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Again, DeKeyser, when healthy is a top 4 on most teams. I never said that Nemeth or Staal were top four defensemen, but they need to play, so we can get something for them at the trade deadline. Those spots can then be filled by Seider / Lindstrom when their seasons are over in Sweden.

I disagree on Cholowski. He needs to be given more of a leash in the NHL. Let him play his game. Give him sheltered minutes in an offensive role, offensive zone starts / power-play time. Don't try to turn him into something he's not.

Okay, lets say DK is top 4. Cool. Then our top pairing of DK - Hronek is set... not the best top pairing in the league, but it'll do. After that it's a s*** show. Our bottom 4 is gonna get lit up.

Nemeth - Staal
Cholowski - Biega

is straight trash. And with the loans we only have Hicketts/McIlrath/Lashoff to call up. Also trash. God forbid we have injuries to Hronek or DK... or lordy our glorious bottom pair of Nemeth and Staal that will be playing in the top4.

I think we need a minimum of another 2 Dmen signed.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Cholowski's been given all of that... played more PP minutes than Mike Green when he was up. No short handed time. It wasn't good.

1 minute ago, DonHakan said:

Okay, lets say DK is top 4. Cool. Then our top pairing of DK - Hronek is set... not the best top pairing in the league, but it'll do. After that it's a s*** show. Our bottom 4 is gonna get lit up.

Nemeth - Staal
Cholowski - Biega

is straight trash. And with the loans we only have Hicketts/McIlrath/Lashoff to call up. Also trash. God forbid we have injuries to Hronek or DK... or lordy our glorious bottom pair of Nemeth and Staal that will be playing in the top4.

I think we need a minimum of another 2 Dmen signed.

Cholowski's been given all of that... played more PP minutes than Mike Green when he was up. No short handed time. It wasn't good.

Yzerman agrees

Also, this is Cholowski's last chance to get things sorted IMO

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yzerman agrees

Also, this is Cholowski's last chance to get things sorted IMO

I feel bad for Cholo. Its one of the very few instances I think a prospect was called up way too early. Now he's in a sink or swim position and I think he's gonna drown. With the AHL being gone its almost a certainty. My prescription would have been 2 or 3 more solid seasons down there.

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You said it right here. The 2nd best UFA is available. We are the crappiest team, we will need to overpay in term and AAV. We need to get that D-man in the organization however possible. Seider will be here next season for sure, Hronek has already been here. If Wallinder is that good and he gets here within 2 years, that will still be 5-6 years of playing with Krug.  I understand if he goes elsewhere, I understand if Yzerman does not sign him, but nowhere in our system do we have a player as talented as Krug at this point. Krug WILL be our #1 defender this season and beyond. He will be invaluable with his experience and mentoring of the kids. I would call him and offer the 8x8. That is a lot of term and money, but IMO, you pay for what's best for your team. You could get a college degree at a community college pretty cheap, but the better experience and quality way to go is to pay more and go to Harvard. With $33M available, 8x8 is not going to impact our cap now or later. 

Edited by LeftWinger

If you ask me, BOTH the Josh Anderson and Max Domi signings set the bar for Mantha and Bert. If we're talking $11M to $12M for those two, that STILL leaves us up to $21M-ish to sign or acquire players.  I would be perfectly ok with 8x8 for Krug and then also acquiring another D contract (for assets) like we did with Staal to round out our D.

Krug - Hronek

Dekeyser - Nemeth

Staal - (acquired player)

Biega/Cholowski

...if we're talking helping a team get relief, look at the top 3 cap teams. Vegas I'd take Martinez, Arizona I'd take Hjalmarsson or Goligoski and Pitt I'd even take Letang

Edited by LeftWinger