• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Euro_Twins

2020 Free Agency

Rate this topic

52 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Glendening is the most likely of all the free agents to be re-signed. If he, Ryan, and Gagner all leave, there would be 0 RH forwards on the roster.

Pretty much. I think all three could be back for this reason alone. Yzerman continues to stress the importance of adding right-handed forwards to the lineup (something I've been saying for years).

Of the three (Ryan, Gagner, Glendening) though, I'd like to see Ryan stick around. I think he has a lot more game left, and I can see a big season out of him.

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Damn , id have done that . Dont think hed have come here though

Yeah, that's the challenge really, for any of these players who are more in demand. They have to choose between going to a possible contender or a team that is in the early stages of a rebuild. It's tough, but that's another reason why I feel Yzerman has done a very good job of attracting the players he has. Ryan, Greiss, Stecher, Merrill, Namestnikov... They all very much seemed to WANT to come here, to be Red Wings, and help this team grow. 

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That first quote. Seems like ownership gave Yzerman orders to not overspend. Anyone else read it that way? 

I feel like ownership and Stevie might just be on the same page with where we're at as a team. Kind of how I read that. Why be in a hurry to spend big and risk being cap strapped in a couple years when we don't even REALLY know what we have in a lot of our recent draft picks? Short term deals are perfect for us right now. 

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That first quote. Seems like ownership gave Yzerman orders to not overspend. Anyone else read it that way? 

Yup.

Unlike their pro sports rivals here in 'Murica - tv $$$ for the NHL is a pittance, and the league relies heavily of having fans in the seats (tickets, concessions, parking, etc).

Me thinks Chris Ilitch will only spend if Yzerman can strike a good deal that'll land the Wings more draft picks/prospects...Otherwise just sign some random guys who are capable of filling holes, and keep the tank running.

20 minutes ago, amato said:

I feel like ownership and Stevie might just be on the same page with where we're at as a team. Kind of how I read that. Why be in a hurry to spend big and risk being cap strapped in a couple years when we don't even REALLY know what we have in a lot of our recent draft picks? Short term deals are perfect for us right now. 

This guy gets it.

2 hours ago, HamPlanetHoward said:

You're also talking about a system that these players were coached, trained, and played in for decades. Where the system had complete control of the players from the very beginning. It's much easier to mold a system to fit your needs when there's no player turnover and you're in control of the players their entire careers.

NHL teams dont have that luxury. Player turnover requires teams to develop systems based on the fact that there are both RH and LH players moving into and off of their rosters. Those systems create scenarios where being a certain handedness is beneficial.

Comparing the development of players in the NHL to the Soviet system is about as apples and oranges as you can get.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

16 minutes ago, HamPlanetHoward said:

I hope you read the article.

Its not about recreating the soviet system, its about maximizing talent on the ice regardless of handedness. Soviet players are simply evidence that it can work well this way. Even today many russians prefer playing off hand. Ever watch Jordie Benn play? Hes better on his offhand than his strong one for a Dman. Yet unnecessarily rigid systems force him to play strong side to their detriment. Im thinking of dallas here. 

Ita basically the argument that talent trumps handedness. 

Obviously talent trumps handedness. No one has ever said otherwise.

No one is saying that all lefties should play on the left side and all righties should play on the right side. Of course certain players prefer to play on their "off side". That doesn't change the fact that it's smart to build a team with balanced handedness. Plays run smoother, particularly on the power-play with both lefties and righties. Ryan is a great addition, but even more so because he brings an element the team severely lacks, right-handed forwards.

3 minutes ago, HamPlanetHoward said:

You didnt read the article.

Plays can actually rum smoother when all players on the ice are the same handedness. Ur just insistent on forcing square pegs into round holes. 

LOL no, I didn't read the article. I'm sure it's as bad as this terrible take. I'm also sure there are hockey minds much smarter than you and 'Jack Han', that say that handedness absolutely does matter...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL no, I didn't read the article. I'm sure it's as bad as this terrible take. I'm also sure there are hockey minds much smarter than you and 'Jack Han', that say that handedness absolutely does matter...

Someone should start a poll guessing what CRL’s name will be tomorrow...

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Guy is relentless, and those are the worst type of trolls...

I actually don’t mind him, he is quite entertaining. Especially when he is serious he has good hockey takes. I just don’t understand the daily change of names.

52 minutes ago, HamPlanetHoward said:

I hope you read the article.

Its not about recreating the soviet system, its about maximizing talent on the ice regardless of handedness. Soviet players are simply evidence that it can work well this way. Even today many russians prefer playing off hand. Ever watch Jordie Benn play? Hes better on his offhand than his strong one for a Dman. Yet unnecessarily rigid systems force him to play strong side to their detriment. Im thinking of dallas here. 

Ita basically the argument that talent trumps handedness. 

I did read the article. Soviets forced kids to play left handed and built a system designed for an almost exclusively LH roster. Easy to do when you control player development from the time they're kids all the way until they retire.

This isnt practical in the NHL. Teams dont control the development of a player until they draft them. And teams are building rosters from a league that is 1/3 RH. As such, it makes sense for a team to establish a system that utilizes both RH and LH players. Therefore, such a strategy will create roles for players based on handedness. 

That's why handedness matters more in the modern NHL than it did in the Soviet Union, and why comparing the 2 is pointless.

12 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/oct-2020/islanders-working-on-trading-boychuk#.X4U32zXddII.twitter

Would take alot more than a f***en 2nd for me to want to take on johnny boychuck , sorry lou

I posted this in the deleted thread too. Considering its 2x6 I agree, a 2nd is not enough.