• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Euro_Twins

2020 Free Agency

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, WRusco said:

B+ Mostly for staying away from high dollar/long term aging players. The quality of players gotten leaves a little to be desired.

You can't have it both ways though... You can't go after the "quality" players if you're not willing to pay the "high dollar / long term"... Yzerman has done a fantastic job so far this offseason. He has signed some low-key good players to low cap, and more importantly low term contracts. He has acquired a ton of trade assets over the next couple years.

There is currently ONE player on the roster that is under contract beyond the 2021-22 season. That player is future captain, Dylan Larkin. That is a fantastic spot to be in, as a rebuilding team. 

Right now, I give Yzerman an A, because he did exactly what he should have done, when I'm sure the urge may have been there to get in on some of the high profile names. That can easily be upgraded to an A+, if he's able to acquire another big asset by trading for another bad contract.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You can't have it both ways though... You can't go after the "quality" players if you're not willing to pay the "high dollar / long term"... Yzerman has done a fantastic job so far this offseason. He has signed some low-key good players to low cap, and more importantly low term contracts. He has acquired a ton of trade assets over the next couple years.

There is currently ONE player on the roster that is under contract beyond the 2021-22 season. That player is future captain, Dylan Larkin. That is a fantastic spot to be in, as a rebuilding team. 

Right now, I give Yzerman an A, because he did exactly what he should have done, when I'm sure the urge may have been there to get in on some of the high profile names. That can easily be upgraded to an A+, if he's able to acquire another big asset by trading for another bad contract.

It's not so much about having it both ways. I fully understand the state of this team and the players Yzerman got. It would have been nice to get maybe 1 more Middle 6 forward at 2 to 2.5 mil for 2 years tops. I'm not terribly upset at what we got.

8 minutes ago, WRusco said:

It's not so much about having it both ways. I fully understand the state of this team and the players Yzerman got. It would have been nice to get maybe 1 more Middle 6 forward at 2 to 2.5 mil for 2 years tops. I'm not terribly upset at what we got.

As it is now, it looks like there may be a bit of a logjam up front. If he were to add a Galchenyuk or Duclair, I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'm fine going into next season with the current roster.

In terms of immediate value and resale value, I'd probably rank the signings like this:

1. Stecher - one of the better under-the-radar D-men 5-on-5 in the western conference last year and is just coming into his own

2. Ryan - great character guy can hopefully score 20 and get rewarded for his hard work both on and off ice

3. Greiss - having a 1A/1B type that doesn't eat all the hotdogs will be huge

4. Merrill - Going to be one of the best 3rd pair D men this team has had in a long time and will get us a 2nd at the TDL

5. Namestnikov - versatile guy who could come close to a career high in points if he plays with Zadina

I'm fine with what we got considering the state of this team.

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

In terms of immediate value and resale value, I'd probably rank the signings like this:

1. Stecher - one of the better under-the-radar D-men 5-on-5 in the western conference last year and is just coming into his own

2. Ryan - great character guy can hopefully score 20 and get rewarded for his hard work both on and off ice

4. Merrill - Going to be one of the best 3rd pair D men this team has had in a long time and will get us a 2nd at the TDL

5. Namestnikov - versatile guy who could come close to a career high in points if he plays with Zadina

Everything I fine on Stecher and Merrill is they are 2nd and 3rd pair Defensive Defencemen with limited Offensive ability. Should help cut down goals against.

Griess is an upgrade to the goalies.

Ryan should be able to provide some stability and on ice coaching to the younger guys.

Namestnikov may be the sleeper pickup. Fabbri, Namestnikov and Zadina may give us a second line that can consistantly score some goals.

20 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Serious on 3. Remember how many of us thought last year might be a lot better the way the season before ended? I think a lot of the ugly last year had to do with Hamblaster Howard letting in 3-4 goals in the first 10 minutes more than a few times. Just about any night Howard started last year lead to this team being setup to lose early on and I think that will mentally wear on a team over time. I’m not wholly blaming Howard as that’s hardly the whole story, but having Greiss and Bernier heading into next season is a major, major upgrade over last year. Between the additions and hopefully more guys stepping up, they’ll be a much better team. They could actually be legit sneaky good if all goes well. They need to get used to winning some games again and I do think that will help elevate the whole. 

22 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I could see all of these guys (the ones on 1 year deals) staying here for a couple to a few years. Names and Greiss could very well re-sign after 2 as well. Staal will be dealt or not re-signed, but Merrill and Stecher are types of D that we haven't had for a bit. After we lose a player in the expansion draft, we can re-sign these guys to a longer deal(s.) Honestly, lets say we lose Staal and Biega (possibly Nemeth) after the season, honestly we could have a D that looks like:

DD - Hronek

Merrill - Seider

Nemeth - Stecher

Lindstrom(Cholowski)

...Not sure the actual order, I just lined them up Lefty and Righty. For a couple of season's after this one, that is not a bad D lineup while the kids grow more in GR or abroad. This is barring any trades (Cholowski) or possible expansion loss (DD.)

I think is Ryan goes back to 25+ goals, if he isn't trade bait, he'll re-sign here for a couple more season's before he retires.  I know a lot of folks like to talk about that all of our signing's are just to deal them away at the TDL, but I don't think Yzerman plays that way. I think he signs players that fit his vision of the team moving forward. Sure, Bobby Ryan might be a reclamation project, but he is a low cost, high reward type of player. He is an upgrade over Abby and others for sure.

18 minutes ago, WRusco said:

Thoughts? Start at about the 5min mark.

I agree with the general sentiment that theres a lot to feel good about looking forward. Yzerman is playing this right and theres lots of praise for him in the video but I think Holland should be mentioned also. It was clearly his plan for contracts to start dropping off right now as younger guys are coming in.

Lord knows what he would have done with the capspace but he should get some credit.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, LeftWinger said:

I know a lot of folks like to talk about that all of our signing's are just to deal them away at the TDL, but I don't think Yzerman plays that way.  

I agree however trading guys at the TDL isn't just about getting us picks, it's rewarding guys with a chance to go to a playoff team and have some fun.   Win-Win....now go  build up that trade value!

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

I agree with the general sentiment that theres a lot to feel good about looking forward. Yzerman is playing this right and theres lots of praise for him in the video but I think Holland should be mentioned also. It was clearly his plan for contracts to start dropping off right now as younger guys are coming in.

Lord knows what he would have done with the capspace but he should get some credit.

Not going to bash Holland. But I can see starting 2021/2022 a clear direction of Stevie Y's team.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, Akakabuto said:

I have given Holland as much praise as anyone over the years, but I just don't see what you're seeing in this case. Are you praising him for properly timing Abdlekader's deal? That was a 7 year max contract. Probably would have given him 9 if he could have. In fact, he'd still be on this team for 3 more seasons if Yzerman hadn't cleaned up the mess. Then there's 2 more years of Nielsen. 

Basically, I don't think Holland had a plan. 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I have given Holland as much praise as anyone over the years, but I just don't see what you're seeing in this case. Are you praising him for properly timing Abdlekader's deal? That was a 7 year max contract. Probably would have given him 9 if he could have. In fact, he'd still be on this team for 3 more seasons if Yzerman hadn't cleaned up the mess. Then there's 2 more years of Nielsen. 

Basically, I don't think Holland had a plan. 

One more year of Helm and two more years of Nielsen still means Hollands contracts are dropping off every year.

You're right, the Abdelkader deal doesn't fit the timeline but nothing about that deal makes sense. It's the worst contract given to any player in the league in the last ten years at least. Call it the exception that proves the rule.

18 minutes ago, YucatanSuckaMan said:

Abdelkader never should have been bought out. He's on the books now for 6 years instead of 3 when we have like $15 million in cap space. Not needed. He could've done Erne's job for at least another season if not more. Bad management.

Saves owners money. 

I count at least 2 (maybe 3) active socks right now btw. 

2 hours ago, YucatanSuckaMan said:

Abdelkader never should have been bought out. He's on the books now for 6 years instead of 3 when we have like $15 million in cap space. Not needed. He could've done Erne's job for at least another season if not more. Bad management.

Erne is better than Abdelkader. Abby was only going to hinder playing time for a younger guy or sit out. Yzerman had the excess cap space to make the move and it makes perfect sense with where the team is at right now.