• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

I know it´s early, but nonetheless worth talking about.

In the moment we have 9 picks, a first, 3 second rounders, two thirds and one each in round 4,5 and 6. How many picks will we be able to have come draft day?

There are 12 players on expiring contracts, Bert and Hronek will get extensions, that leaves ten potential trade candidates.

Darren Helm and Luke Glendening,  players I liked from day one, might give us a 4th round pick each at the deadline and will probably be on the roster on cheaper contracts 21/22.

Fil, I don´t know, will we get anything in return? I doubt it.

Bobby Ryan might be our best horse at the deadline, it looks like he really wants to get his carrer resurrected and if he returns to old highs and scores 15+ goals until TDL, he might garner another 2nd rounder.

Gagner,Erne won´t get anything major in return, hopefully we can get a 5th rounder for one of them.

Staal and Nemeth might find takers, but only little return expected, more fourth round picks coming?

Biega and Merrill have to play real good seasons to be of any worth for us come deadline day.

Bernier, depending on performance and other teams needs, might give us another 4th or more? I dont know.

So we might end up with 16 picks, add a few we might get through taking on bad contracts, so we probably have 18!!! picks. It looks like the 2021 offseason will be fun.

12 minutes ago, ely s said:

I know it´s early, but nonetheless worth talking about.

In the moment we have 9 picks, a first, 3 second rounders, two thirds and one each in round 4,5 and 6. How many picks will we be able to have come draft day?

There are 12 players on expiring contracts, Bert and Hronek will get extensions, that leaves ten potential trade candidates.

Darren Helm and Luke Glendening,  players I liked from day one, might give us a 4th round pick each at the deadline and will probably be on the roster on cheaper contracts 21/22.

Fil, I don´t know, will we get anything in return? I doubt it.

Bobby Ryan might be our best horse at the deadline, it looks like he really wants to get his carrer resurrected and if he returns to old highs and scores 15+ goals until TDL, he might garner another 2nd rounder.

Gagner,Erne won´t get anything major in return, hopefully we can get a 5th rounder for one of them.

Staal and Nemeth might find takers, but only little return expected, more fourth round picks coming?

Biega and Merrill have to play real good seasons to be of any worth for us come deadline day.

Bernier, depending on performance and other teams needs, might give us another 4th or more? I dont know.

So we might end up with 16 picks, add a few we might get through taking on bad contracts, so we probably have 18!!! picks. It looks like the 2021 offseason will be fun.

Never too early.

I don't think that number will change much. We really have little to offer other teams as far as players at the TDL, and with expanded rosters it might not matter.

Agreed Bert and Hronek will get contracts.

Helm and Glendening won't be going anywhere, every year the rumors are out there about them being traded. If anything they get short term contracts and will retire as Red Wings.

As to the rest, Stall and Ryan may, may get traded, but will only return 4th rd or lower. Bernier is the only other possibility although remote. I don't believe any of the others have any trade value.

44 minutes ago, town123 said:

Would that mean we're only falling down two spots next draft?

>the lottery is convoluted and unfair

>lets make it more convoluted!

I agree with some posters here. Just go back to a normal draft order with the worst team getting the first pick. Tanking will still be a thing no matter how you spin it. 

34 minutes ago, town123 said:

Yep.... it's just tanking with luck right now.

Its just tanking with legitimate league intference right now. The lottery gives the league an opportunity to manipulate. Don't worry everyone. The balls behind the curtain were fair. No need to look. You can trust us.

1. So they're fixing the lottery after the Wings get screwed multiple years in a row. That figures.

2. Why don't they just let the bottom 3 finishers be part of the lottery? You can't move more than 2 spots back and teams wont feel the need to tank. The 4th pick on would then be in reverse order of finish. And no one gets a pick they don't deserve

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

48 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

1. So they're fixing the lottery after the Wings get screwed multiple years in a row. That figures.

2. Why don't they just let the bottom 3 finishers be part of the lottery? You can't move more than 2 spots back and teams wont feel the need to tank. The 4th pick on would then be in reverse order of finish. And no one gets a pick they don't deserve

Theyre literally changing the draft cause yzerman is being a lil ***** and complaining. He didnt have any problem with the draft when he was in tampa with stammer and hedman on his rister. 

14 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Its just tanking with legitimate league intference right now. The lottery gives the league an opportunity to manipulate. Don't worry everyone. The balls behind the curtain were fair. No need to look. You can trust us.

For sure Bettman should be playing with his bingo balls on live TV.   That's the first thing that should change.

13 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Theyre literally changing the draft cause yzerman is being a lil ***** and complaining. He didnt have any problem with the draft when he was in tampa with stammer and hedman on his rister. 

Except if Tampa got jobbed by the existence of bonkers lottery odds the way Detroit has, Stamkos and Hedman would be playing somewhere in the state of New York. 

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except if Tampa got jobbed by the existence of bonkers lottery odds the way Detroit has, Stamkos and Hedman would be playing somewhere in the state of New York. 

Except Yzerman didn't draft Stamkos or Hedman. And he missed out on Mackinnon and Barkov in 2013.

Edited by Gniwder

so TWO 1st's now! Who are we liking?

I am wondering if Yzerman will go D again with his first pick? Power or Hughes?

depending on Washington's playoff performance, we could be anywhere from 15 to 32. Hard to make a prediction there, but here are current rankings via eliteprospects.com from 15 to 32:

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

so TWO 1st's now! Who are we liking?

I am wondering if Yzerman will go D again with his first pick? Power or Hughes?

depending on Washington's playoff performance, we could be anywhere from 15 to 32. Hard to make a prediction there, but here are current rankings via eliteprospects.com from 15 to 32:

image.png.9c6ee5e89119782a157f6ab7d33e2189.png

Fingers crossed he uses the extra first to pull off another Vasilevskiy

Wallstedt first , everyone else is being projected as 2nd liners/2nd pairing dmen etc... give me the guy whos projected to be a lundqvist any day (dont care about the too early to draft a goalie stuff)

washington pick if were lucky enough to be in 20-24 range , simon robertsson... lambos if hes there but i dont see it, if we dont take wallstedt with our 1st should make sure we end up with cossa with that pick or move up with our early 2nd to land him 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Fingers crossed he uses the extra first to pull off another Vasilevskiy

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/394724/jesper-wallstedt

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Wallstedt first , everyone else is being projected as 2nd liners/2nd pairing dmen etc... give me the guy whos projected to be a lundqvist any day (dont care about the too early to draft a goalie stuff)

washington pick if were lucky enough to be in 20-24 range , simon robertsson... lambos if hes there but i dont see it, if we dont take wallstedt with our 1st should make sure we end up with cossa with that pick or move up with our early 2nd to land him 

Agreed.

Spent a few minutes researching him and right away this kid looks impressive - a yearly Vezina candidate type of impressive.

8 hours ago, Gniwder said:

oh f*** yeah it's first round goalie time.

PS we already seriously screwed the pooch taking Raymond over Askarov

nNyXloe.png

I think I mention at some point last season around here if we didn't land pick 1 or 2, I wanted Askarov. 

I hope Raymond a steal, but I think when it's said and done Askarov is going to be the best player of that draft.

8 hours ago, xault said:

I think I mention at some point last season around here if we didn't land pick 1 or 2, I wanted Askarov. 

I hope Raymond a steal, but I think when it's said and done Askarov is going to be the best player of that draft.

The Tretiak of our generation and we passed on him for Lucas Raymond's leadership abilities.

Sigh

18 hours ago, Gniwder said:

nNyXloe.png

Raymond is gonna be great im not worried about him , everyones pretty much saying this is a weak draft year , why wouldnt we take the one guy everyone says is cant miss? If we can add a franchise #1 goalie to go with seider we’d be looking real good 

petruzzelli looks good but so did larsson so why risk it ... anyone have any idea why keith hasnt been signed yet ?

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

20 hours ago, Gniwder said:

nNyXloe.png

3 hours ago, Gniwder said:

The Tretiak of our generation and we passed on him for Lucas Raymond's leadership abilities.

Sigh

I got the impression that Askarov’s average performance at last years World JRs made many GMs and scouts think twice.

As for Raymond - there’s still comparisons of his game/style to Marner’s and that’s great!