• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

36 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Apparently Craig Button felt like muddying the waters with his latest draft rankings.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-defencemen-dominate-top-of-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-1.1638404

This draft is going to be two days of this

and this

Kotkaniemi Earning Respect - J.D. Lagrange - From The Heart

Okay, I got a player I wanna shill for...

Reece Newkirk
>Center - shoots left
>5'11" 185lbs
>Just turned 20 in February
>Playing in the WHL
>Taken by the Islanders in the 5th round of the Seider draft

As I've mentioned before I have a fishing buddy who is a scout for the Islanders. Heard this kids name out of his mouth. That he's a 5th round steal. Probably should have gone high in the 3rd.

So I did a little research. Lot of Isles fans compare him to Casey Cizikas - only with better scoring and more toughness. He plays in all situations and is used in key roles on the Portland Winterhawks 1st unit PP and 1st unit shorthanded. He is extremely fiesty and is not afraid to drop the gloves, take it into the corners, and run his mouth. Definitely fearless for his size and I would say projects as a middle 6 center. Probably 3rd line.

But what really sold me is this highlight reel:

Very skilled for a 2-way aggro center. Attacks the net aggressively and seems to have a great motor that never stops.

I'm saying Yzerman - take on Leo Komarovs contract at the draft in exchange for this kid.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

It means the prophecy has been fulfilled, and that those who were complaining  thinking the Wings would pick outside the top 10 can finally relax. 

I was literally terrified.

But then you explained that's there's really no difference between picks 4 and 10 and then I felt better.

17 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was literally terrified.

But then you explained that's there's really no difference between picks 4 and 10 and then I felt better.

The standings were deceiving with the games in hand teams behind us had. Vancouver did look like they might choke it there for a little bit, however. 

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Is Power the better player over Beniers ?

From what little I’ve read - it’s fairly close.

It's completely irrelevant who's better now, what matters is who will be better in 3 years and beyond. The better question, this year, would be is Power going to be better than Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes, and will Beniers be better than Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, or Lucuis.

Edit: I'd add that Power and Beniers are probably both surer bets than the others, even if they don't have the ceiling.

Edited by kipwinger

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's completely irrelevant who's better now, what matters is who will be better in 3 years and beyond. The better question, this year, would be is Power going to be better than Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes, and will Beniers be better than Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, or Lucuis.

Edit: I'd add that Power and Beniers are probably both surer bets than the others, even if they don't have the ceiling.

I've seen comparisons...Power to Aaron Ekblad, and Beniers to Jonathan Toews...So.....

6 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I've seen comparisons...Power to Aaron Ekblad, and Beniers to Jonathan Toews...So.....

So what? I've seen Clarke compared to Doughty, Eklund compared to Zetterberg, and Johnson compared to Marner.

7 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Seems like either of those 2 would significantly benefit the Wings.

Yeah, I'd love either guy. Maybe not my "ideal" picks, but I wouldn't be upset in either case. The guys I really want to stay away from are Evidsson and Guenther. The first seems like Swedish Jay Bouwmeester and the second seems like Zadina 2.0. Both would probably be helpful but I think we need to take bigger swings with this year's picks.

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah, I'd love either guy. Maybe not my "ideal" picks, but I wouldn't be upset in either case. The guys I really want to stay away from are Evidsson and Guenther. The first seems like Swedish Jay Bouwmeester and the second seems like Zadina 2.0. Both would probably be helpful but I think we need to take bigger swings with this year's picks.

Agreed. I was into Guenther when Pronman had him ranked #1 a while back but he looks more like a high floor type guy. I'd even throw Beniers and Eklund in the same category. I don't think "Hard working" should be the first way you describe a potential top 10 pick. 

If Yzerman's swinging at high ceiling guys...

1. Power

2. Johnson

3. Lysell

4. Clarke

IMO, that's the list. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans