• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

Where Johnson (LHC/W) is more a playmaker than he is a finisher, Lucius (RHC/W) is a pure goal-scorer. Lucius's skating and defensive game are lacking, but his scoring prowess is undeniable. Like Johnson, Lucius has great hands and a flair for the dramatic. He missed most of this season due to an injury, but his 2019-20 season was outstanding and he was great in the dozen games he played this season.

So, yeah, there's some risk with Lucius. But, as a Wings fan, I really like the potential reward, which is a flashy, exciting, RH goal-scoring 1C/2C.

The concern with a prospect like Lucius is that if his offense isnt there at the NHL level, he has little else to offer. It's not like he can be used like a Dan Cleary or Kirk Maltby type then.

20 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The concern with a prospect like Lucius is that if his offense isnt there at the NHL level, he has little else to offer. It's not like he can be used like a Dan Cleary or Kirk Maltby type then.

Like I said, there's risk there. Personally, though, I don't feel Lucius is significantly more boom/bust than a lot of the other candidates. You could argue that a guy like Johnson is more rounded and therefore has a higher floor, but to that I would say if Johnson doesn't live up to his potential, he's going to be a run-of-the-mill bottom-sixer. Would that be more valuable to us than a goal-scorer who can't score goals? I mean, I guess...?

Then again, this assumes Lucius does not in fact have much else to offer, which isn't necessarily true. He's good on faceoffs. He's got great hands, as mentioned. He's not an elite playmaker, but he can thread passes and make plays that the average Wings prospect can't. Great stickhandler. Can hold the puck and run a cycle. Likes to drive the net, buzz around the net. Not afraid to battle along the boards. His defensive shortcomings are more an "I'm a goal-scorer and my team needs me to score goals, so of course I'm gonna cheat and fly the zone early" thing than they are a "I don't know how to play defense and I don't want to learn" thing.

The Wings have drafted lots of rounded players, lots of pass-first playmakers, lots of great skaters. One thing we've been sorely lacking is players who just flat-out know how to put the puck in the net. Our power play has cost us countless games over the past several years. Not being able to find that one goal in the third period has cost us countless games over the past several years. An inability to seal the deal in OT has cost us countless games over the past several years. So we definitely have an organizational need there.

If we can trade down and add Lucius at, like, 11OA? To me, that sounds great. But I'm not Steve Yzerman or his scouts.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:30 AM, Akakabuto said:

My point is that people shouldn't get upset if Yzerman picks someone not even discussed in the top 10 leading up to the draft. Nobody knows how this is going to shake out. It's a weird year and the players that gets the most talk are the ones who played the most games that scout could actually watch.

Ya you cant be totally surprised since its yzerman but right now i just got like 5 guys in mind that will go at 6 so i guess we’ll have to see what he does cause i cant see him taking someone at 6 whos barely played. Should be a fun draft weekend

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya you cant be totally surprised since its yzerman but right now i just got like 5 guys in mind that will go at 6 so i guess we’ll have to see what he does cause i cant see him taking someone at 6 whos barely played. Should be a fun draft weekend

Should be real fun. Lots of Red Wings picks in a potentially wild draft. 

My point is that people shouldn't get upset if Yzerman picks someone not even discussed in the top 10 leading up to the draft. Nobody knows how this is going to shake out. It's a weird year and the players that gets the most talk are the ones who played the most games that scout could actually watch.

In fact u should be excited when Yzerman drafts the #25 at 6. It means Mo Seider 2.0 incoming. 

This is the one year where I won't bat an eye if Yzerman goes way off the board.

8 hours ago, Rivalred said:

What if the Wings took Knight last year versus Lucas? Wonder how that would of went over.

I think you mean Askarov? Askarov at 4th overall over Raymond would have been terrible. Knight was taken the year prior. Likewise, Knight at 6th overall over Seider would have been riot worthy.

2 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

I think you mean Askarov? Askarov at 4th overall over Raymond would have been terrible. Knight was taken the year prior. Likewise, Knight at 6th overall over Seider would have been riot worthy.

I thought Knight was last year, you are absolutely correct as it was the gear previous, good catch! 

2 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Dunno, IMO I'd rather have Askarov's 1.21 GAA and 0.951 sv% in the KHL in the pipeline right now, than Raymond's 18 pts in 34 games in the SHL.

Askarov looks like the next coming of Tretiak. I can't say Raymond even looks like a new Nyquist yet.

Inflated KHL numbers vs the numbers of an 18 year old in a very defensive men's league. Imma wait and see how this one pans out first. 

Askarov also s***s the bed on the big stage in IIHF hockey, where as Raymond thrived. My guess is both teams end up with a pretty important player though. 

#stillbetterthanwallstedt

3 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Dunno, IMO I'd rather have Askarov's 1.21 GAA and 0.951 sv% in the KHL in the pipeline right now, than Raymond's 18 pts in 34 games in the SHL.

Askarov looks like the next coming of Tretiak. I can't say Raymond even looks like a new Nyquist yet.

Raymond will be a big time player imo  as for the goalie Its ok we’ll get wallstedt and then we’ll see everyone here ***** and complain for months

fun times ahead

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

7 hours ago, ely s said:

so, picks 1-27 are set and we end up with the 6th and 22nd selections. Edmonton got the 19th pick, is Stevie trading up to get Cossa?

I doubt it. Not a drop in talent between those 2 spots. Don't see SY giving up assets (probably a draft pick) just to get a specific player there.