• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

1C / 2C - Dylan Larkin
2C / 3C - Joe Veleno, Michael Rasmussen, Theodor Niederbach
3C / 4C - Chase Pearson

Larkin is our only top 6 center currently. Maybe one of the three players listed can emerge as a 1C / 2C. Center may be our biggest area of weakness.

1LW / 2LW - Jakub Vrana, Lucas Raymond
2LW / 3LW - Tyler Bertuzzi, Robert Mastrosimone
3LW / 4LW - Adam Erne, Evgeny Svechnikov

1RW / 2RW - Filip Zadina
2RW / 3RW - Robby Fabbri, Jonatan Berggren
3RW / 4RW - Givani Smith, Elmer Soderblom

Our biggest area of strength is on the wings but we could use another top 6 RW depending on how Berggren pans out.

1LD / 2LD - 
2LD / 3LD - Dennis Cholowski, William Wallinder, Albert Johansson, Eemil Viro, Jared McIsaac, Donovan Sebrango

1RD / 2RD - Moritz Seider
2RD / 3RD - Filip Hronek, Gustav Lindstrom, Antti Tuomisto, Seth Barton

We currently have the most depth at LD but no standout top pair. Maybe one of the 6 players listed can emerge as a 1LD but I wouldn't count on it. Our best player is at RD but pretty thin after Seider.

I don't think we have a single goalie that projects to be a #1. Maybe Petruzzelli but there's no guarantee he even signs.

Based on this I think we should target C / LD / G in the upcoming draft. McTavish / Hughes / Wallstadt with #6 Raty / Lambos / Cossa with #23 Pinelli / Chayka / Lennox with #38 / #48 / #52. Target another RW and RD in rounds 3 / 4.

Am I the only one here thinking what combo of draft pick/s, roster player, etc might it take to pry Werenski  outta CBJ?

I'm impatient...Would rather see him play alongside Seider this fall instead of him hitting UFA in another 4 years from now.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Am I the only one here thinking what combo of draft pick/s, roster player, etc might it take to pry Werenski  outta CBJ?

I'm impatient...Would rather see him play alongside Seider this fall instead of him hitting UFA in another 4 years from now.

That would be an incredible get.. 

I assume it'd start with a first and a high ranked d prospect. 

CBJ would probably ask for Seider, Stevie would say no and try to go from there. 

I'd hate to see him go, but I think Bertuzzi would be a solid CBJ type player if they keep the same style of play under their new coach.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

CBJ losing Jones and Werenski? Can´t see it, I would love to see him in a Wings jersey but really can´t see it.

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

4 years? He can force them to sign him into a few single season contracts and walk . Sucks but At this point we just need to be patient and wait for him to come and keep our assets 

2023-2024 is when this team will be ready to make some noise

8 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Owen Power says he's leaning towards returning to the university of Michigan for another year.

Do folks like the Sabres who need a talent injection now maybe pass on him?

I dont think anyones gonna play next season from this draft so shouldnt be a problem . I thought they might draft beniers with them moving eichel mosg likely but if they deal him to like l.a they can get a byfield/turcotte back so i can see them picking powers most likely

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Owen Power says he's leaning towards returning to the university of Michigan for another year.

Do folks like the Sabres who need a talent injection now maybe pass on him?

No. If they clean house (including Eichel) they have no reason to draft a guy that comes straight to the NHL.

5 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

4 years? He can force them to sign him into a few single season contracts and walk . Sucks but At this point we just need to be patient and wait for him to come and keep our assets 

2023-2024 is when this team will be ready to make some noise

UFA at 27 - am I missing something - years/games played in the NHL that may see him bolt earlier?

30 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

UFA at 27 - am I missing something - years/games played in the NHL that may see him bolt earlier?

A player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) if their current contract ends after either 7 Accrued Seasons or they are 27 or older as of June 30. An Accrued Season is defined as a year in which a skater is on an NHL roster for at least 40 games (30 games for Goalies).

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

A player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) if their current contract ends after either 7 Accrued Seasons or they are 27 or older as of June 30. An Accrued Season is defined as a year in which a skater is on an NHL roster for at least 40 games (30 games for Goalies).

So with that he could be a ufa for the 2023/2024 season.

I'd prefer him to be in a Wings jersey sooner than later.

Edited by F.Michael

14 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

So with that he could be a ufa for the 2023/2024 season.

I'd prefer him to be in a Wings jersey sooner than later.

If he wants to be a redwing in free agency it should be for the 23-24 season and it would be perfect timing and it would be when we’d be about to make some noise imo . Bringing in a motivated vet in werenski (who would cost us no assets) to go along with seider having 2 years experience under his belt , raymond hopefully with 1 and if theres any justice one of wright/bedard/michkov will be a redwing

+ wallstedt would be ready for prime time (ha im sure most ppl will love that last comment) anyways 23-24 is the season to start getting your hopes up imo , think some ppl will be in for a rude awakening next season when the regular format schedule returns . I “almost” feel bad for jeff

10 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Pronman says Cossa's better now..........

Pronman Final Athletic 2021 Draft Rankings

1. Power

2. Guenther

3.Eklund

4. Hughes

5. Beniers

6. Johnson

7. Lucius

8. Clarke

9. McTavish

10. Cossa

11. Wallnut

18 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

The best is the lets get cossa at 22 crowd as if theyres no chance he wont be there and we end up with no goalie and petruzzelli walks . But its ok we can make a cup run through free agency with back ups the likes of greiss/bernier 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Just now, nyqvististhefuture said:

The best is the lets get cossa at 22 crowd as if theyres no chance he wont be there and we end up with no goalie and petruzzelli walks . But its ok we can make a cup run through free agency back ups the likes of greiss/bernier 

"Picking a goalie in the top 10 of the draft is the only way to win a cup"  Wayne Grezzzy Bowman

Just now, nyqvististhefuture said:

“Being a chick s*** and Avoiding a goalie in the  top 10 of the draft cause everyone else says not to do that is the only way to win a cup “  some ryan guy

just said above I don't care who Yzerman takes. And Yzerman is anything but a coward. 

How's this. Tell me which pick at 6OA will explode you, and I'll hope for that guy. :lol: 

For the billionth time, drafting a goalie at 6th is RETARDED. If you can get an Askarov at 11th, a Knight at 13th, or a Vasilevsky at 19th, why would you take a Wallstedt or Cossa at 6th? It's HORRIBLE asset management. And it's not like we aren't going to be draft in that 12-15 range the next couple years as we start turning this around. Assuming you want to draft a goalie (which is pretty dumb), it's been proven time and again you can find elite goalies later in the first round. It's MUCH harder to find elite defensemen and centers in that range. So in order to maximize the value of your picks you should (generally) take centers and defensemen with higher first rounders, and wingers and goalies with lower ones.

2 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Corey Pronman, June 2019: "Seider at #22"
>Yzerman drafts Seider at #6
Corey Pronman, August 2019: "Seider possibly the best Dman in the 2019 draft"

What changed Corey??? Seider didn't play anymore games...

Haha no more questions hockey fan. Pronman is a draft genius.

Might wanna check yer timeline.......

9 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Corey Pronman, June 2019: "Seider at #22"
>Yzerman drafts Seider at #6
Corey Pronman, August 2019: "Seider possibly the best Dman in the 2019 draft"

What changed Corey??? Seider didn't play anymore games...

Haha no more questions hockey fan. Pronman is a draft genius.

You're being a little disingenuous here. TSN's final rankings, which are an aggregate survey of NHL scouts, had Seider at 16. Now they're saying he's the best prospect in the world. NOBODY, including NHL scouts, believed Seider was this good except Yzerman and co. So while you're correct that Pronman got that one wrong, so did everyone else.

I'd argue that it's probably because talent evaluators have an unconcious bias toward "flashy" players. Guys that play a simple, effective, efficient game just don't get the same love. Hence why Makar and Adam Fox are Norris finalists despite the fact that neither of them can be trusted in defensive situations. People didn't see flashy offense in Seider's game, so he wasn't valued properly.

25 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

just said above I don't care who Yzerman takes. And Yzerman is anything but a coward. 

How's this. Tell me which pick at 6OA will explode you, and I'll hope for that guy. :lol: 

I didnt see that did i? I been saying for the longest time yzerman doesnt give two s***s what anyone thinks and will take wallstedt cause we have ZERO goalies in our pipeline (petruzzelli’s a goner) so im well aware hes no coward

Umm ya im not gonna jinx myself by telling you  but if i had a gun to my head and had to take someone else besides wallstedt it would probably be a dman hughes/clarke come to mind if they’re even there 

35 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

For the billionth time, drafting a goalie at 6th is RETARDED. If you can get an Askarov at 11th, a Knight at 13th, or a Vasilevsky at 19th, why would you take a Wallstedt or Cossa at 6th? It's HORRIBLE asset management. And it's not like we aren't going to be draft in that 12-15 range the next couple years as we start turning this around. Assuming you want to draft a goalie (which is pretty dumb), it's been proven time and again you can find elite goalies later in the first round. It's MUCH harder to find elite defensemen and centers in that range. So in order to maximize the value of your picks you should (generally) take centers and defensemen with higher first rounders, and wingers and goalies with lower ones.

See thats where your wrong  . Your assuming we’ll be drafting in the 12-15 range based off what this last season? Where we played the same 7 teams x 8? Man most fans here are in for a rude awakening when the regular season format comes back . Outside of watching seider next season wont be fun times

Now lets say your right  , then what you get a goalie in 2022/2023? If there’s even someone worth taking in the first round mind you . We wait till what hes 23 and ready? So we’ll have a #1 by what 2028? When seider will be 27? Sounds like fun times ahead for the next 8-10 yrs

Do you think teams wouldnt have taken vasilevsky in the top 5 if there was a draft redo?price wouldnt go in the top 5 again? Fleury? Maybe you should look at our draft history regarding goaltening the last 20 yrs and tell me how easy it is to draft a franchise goalie . There isnt top level elite talent in this draft according to many people besides the goalie (which is a position we desperately need help with) but lets pass on him cause we cant draft a goalie top 10

makes sense

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

3 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I believe Pronman's final ranking through the Athletic had Seider at #22. In his midterm ranking #29.

Then prior to Traverse city he admitted he didn't even watch tape of Seider before ranking him, but now that he had he believed Seider was the most exciting prospect coming out of the draft.

>Didn't bother to watch a top30 prospect play (lol what?)
>But now that he HAS watched him he most definitely shares Yzerman genius (lol sure)

THIS IS YOUR GOD

lol

Says the guy linking Khan article. 

"Wings could take a goalie at 6OA" 

Ya don't sayyyyy

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

See thats where your wrong  . Your assuming we’ll be drafting in the 12-15 range based off what this last season? Where we played the same 7 teams x 8? Man most fans here are in for a rude awakening when the regular season format comes back . Outside of watchinf seider next season wont be fun times

Now lets say your right  , then what you get a goalie in 2022/2023? If there’s even someone worth taking in the first round mind you . We wait till what hes 23 and ready? So we’ll have a #1 by what 2028? When seider will be 27? Sounds like fun times ahead for the next 8-10 yrs

Do you think teams wouldnt have taken vasilevsky in the top 5 if there was a draft redo?price wouldnt go in the top 5 again? Fleury? Maybe you should look at our draft history regarding goaltening the last 20 yrs and tell me how easy it is to draft a franchise goalie . There isnt top level elite talent in this draft according to many people besides the goalie (which is a position we desperately need help on) but lets pass on him cause we cant draft a goalie top 10

makes sense

It's about asset management. Teams have learned since Carey Price was drafted that an elite goalie means jack squat if you don't have elite position players. And top end position players are harder to find later in the draft, unlike goalies. The three best goalies of the modern era are Luongo, Lundquist, and Price and NONE of them ever won anything. Corey Crawford had more Cups than all three combined and he's not even close to elite. Why do you think that is? I'll tell you why, it's more important to have a Duncan Keith or Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane on your team than it is to have a Carey Price.