• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, BarkBurgerman said:

He was 17 and she was 18. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she didn't know he was a kid... but if the roles were reversed I doubt the same respect would be afforded.

Age of consent in Sweden is 15. Their age didn't matter in this case. Legally atleast.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Is he actually good?

I like the kid, he's big, fast and has a good feel for joining the rush.   He was ranked between 23-58 before this happened.  Picking him in the 3rd round is either #69 or #93.

Just now, BarkBurgerman said:

When it comes to Mailloux,

1. He was 17 and she was 18. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she didn't know he was a kid... but if the roles were reversed I doubt the same respect would be afforded.

2. He paid his dues. To the victim and to the state. And apologized publicly. Sought counseling and has been recommended by his counselors.

The he-said she-said:

She: he never gave a sincere apology
He: she threatened to ruin my career

3. This seems like a young mans honest and dumb mistake to me, and I'd willingly draft him. 

1. In many instances the same respect IS afforded to guys. In lots of places you can't be convicted of statutory rape if your ages are within a certain threshold of one another, irrespective of whether one person is a "minor" or not. It's also legal for adult men to marry minor women in some states with parental consent and it happens quite a lot. There's no double standard here.

2. Agreed, all that did happen. But the repercussions of your actions don't start and end with the state and the victim. Nobody owes you a break if they think you're a sh*tbag. And filming some lady giving you a blowie without telling her you're doing it, and then showing it to your buddies for a laugh is definitely a sh*tbag move. Teams don't have to like that just because the court and his counselors say he's cool now. Again, that's the free market at work.

3. Agreed. I don't think the kid should be blackballed from the league (and he's not). If he's good he'll get drafted. But I suspect he's probably (correctly) figured out that his odds of getting drafted will improve next year when the controversy dies down and he's shown that he learned something about being an egregious dumbf*ck.

6 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Sure, in most American states it's 16. But there's still some fine line between that and 18. IDK what Sweden says. Enlighten me. 

That as long as the relation is proved consensual and both involved are over the age of 15 the age difference doesn't matter. One can be 15 years old, the other 55, and its perfectly legal. The exception is if a person under 18 is in anyway dependent on the older party involved. Like a coach, teacher or some sort of handler.

11 minutes ago, town123 said:

I like the kid, he's big, fast and has a good feel for joining the rush.   He was ranked between 23-58 before this happened.  Picking him in the 3rd round is either #69 or #93.

Again, I don't know anything about him so I'll take you at face value. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for this to give teams pause. NHL history is littered with guys who had the physical talent to play in the league but who lacked the self-discipline, decision making, and/maturity to be a good pro (see: Semin, Alex). Talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is pretty evenly distributed and teams need SOME way of differentiating between players. He just gave them a reason to pick someone else. If he goes to the OHL, has no more problems, and plays well he'll get drafted as an over-ager without any issue I'd think.

34 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

1. I don't personally think there's a story here. I just personally think it would be more of a story if he was 18 and she was 17. The white knights would jump on it in that case.

2. I don't disagree. I just think it's kinda dumb to limit your team to kids who've never made dumb (perhaps illegal) mistakes.

3. No doubt he's learned a hard lesson and learned he's seriously jeopardized his career. Much like Bobby Ryan I'm almost encouraged to take him because of it.

Well, you certainly HOPE he's learned a lesson anyway. I assume teams aren't going to waste valuable draft capital until they're sure of that though.

I don't think he's really jeopardized his career all that much though. I think the likelihood is quite high that he'll get drafted a year from now though. And I think that was probably the point of him asking not to be drafted this year. The caveat, of course, is that 3rd round picks don't really have MUCH of a chance of an NHL career to begin with.

Edited by kipwinger

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Again, I don't know anything about him so I'll take you at face value. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for this to give teams pause. NHL history is littered with guys who had the physical talent to play in the league but who lacked the self-discipline, decision making, and/maturity to be a good pro (see: Semin, Alex). Talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is pretty evenly distributed and teams need SOME way of differentiating between players. He just gave them a reason to pick someone else. If he goes to the OHL, has no more problems, and plays well he'll get drafted as an over-ager without any issue I'd think.

I'd agree with that.   The kid is a dinkhead that pulled a dinkhead move.  He'll get drafted this year for sure as everyone knows the kid is a 1st to 2nd round spec.    Like shopping in the grocery meat department,  this steaks best before date is today so you get it for 50% off,  GM's will just naturally want to be the one that snagged him at 82 when he should have slotted at 36.   He's on sale and the apology stunt will work to justify a GM's (to some degree) decision to draft him.

1 minute ago, town123 said:

I'd agree with that.   The kid is a dinkhead that pulled a dinkhead move.  He'll get drafted this year for sure as everyone knows the kid is a 1st to 2nd round spec.    Like shopping in the grocery meat department,  this steaks best before date is today so you get it for 50% off,  GM's will just naturally want to be the one that snagged him at 82 when he should have slotted at 36.   He's on sale and the apology stunt will work to justify a GM's (to some degree) decision to draft him.

Yup, and I think that's probably appropriate too. All things considered it's a pretty small kick in the pants for a pretty minor infraction. Hopefully the whole thing serves as a wakeup call for him.

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

The kid cancelled himself. That's how woke he is.

True. But he probably felt pressured to do it. I'm all for taking responsibility, but as you said, he did that, and compensated the victim, apologized publicly, and appears to be remorseful. Time to forgive the kid and move on. He was 17. He did everything necessary to make things right. But potentially ruining his future like this is self abuse and unnecessary.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I know. That's my point. Furthermore I find it odd that someone showing genuine remorse for questionable behavior is now questionable behavior to guys like Neo. Like, if you're a douchebag and then feel guilty about it later you're playing into George Soros' hands or something.

He was a 17 yo kid who made a mistake. He publicly apologized,  he compensated the "victim", and he has shown, what appears to be, genuine remorse. He has done everything reasonable to right the wrong. So why remove yourself from the draft too? 

I believe in accountability and owning up to your mistakes. I also believe in mercy and  forgiveness, particularly when someone shows remorse. At some point, reasonableness needs to come in to play. This shouldnt have to haunt him for the rest of his career or ruin his life, which she seems to want happen.

His self removal from the draft could just be a form of self punishment, and if it is, I would tell the kid to forgive himself, and move on. Don't ruin your future over this.

My concern would be if this is about damage control. Is this to appease the twitter mob who might go after teams if they draft him? If it is, then it is about being canceled, or in this case, fear of it. And the fact that a remorseful and apologetic, 17 year old kid, who made ONE mistake should have to worry about it is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

1. I don't personally think there's a story here. I just personally think it would be more of a story if he was 18 and she was 17. The white knights would jump on it in that case.

2. I don't disagree. I just think it's kinda dumb to limit your team to kids who've never made dumb (perhaps illegal) mistakes.

3. No doubt he's learned a hard lesson and learned he's seriously jeopardized his career. Much like Bobby Ryan I'm almost encouraged to take him because of it.

Yes. There is a double standard.

I really hope Yzerman goes full send on this draft... I'd love to see him swing deals for the LA and Vancouver 1st rounders...  deals build around Bert and Zadina... taking back cap etc.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He was a 17 yo kid who made a mistake. He publicly apologized,  he compensated the "victim", and he has shown, what appears to be, genuine remorse. He has done everything reasonable to right the wrong. So why remove yourself from the draft too? 

I believe in accountability and owning up to your mistakes. I also believe in mercy and  forgiveness, particularly when someone shows remorse. At some point, reasonableness needs to come in to play. This shouldnt have to haunt him for the rest of his career or ruin his life, which she seems to want happen.

His self removal from the draft could just be a form of self punishment, and if it is, I would tell the kid to forgive himself, and move on. Don't ruin your future over this.

My concern would be if this is about damage control. Is this to appease the twitter mob who might go after teams if they draft him? If it is, then it is about being canceled, or in this case, fear of it. And the fact that a remorseful and apologetic, 17 year old kid, who made ONE mistake should have to worry about it is ridiculous.

Yes. There is a double standard.

Clearly he felt like it was the right thing to do and I find it odd that you're trying to make some weird political point about it. Nobody made him remove himself from the draft. Certainly not the league, teams, or fans anyway. And I'd love to hear your logic for how Twitter is pressuring teams he doesn't even play for yet to not select him. It's like you want him to get credit for all the things he did to "right the wrong" but also want to point to individual instances of him "righting the wrong" as evidence that he's some "victim" of your imaginary twitter mob.

Apparently you only believe in "accountability and owning up to your mistakes" as long as it runs parallel to your weird political stances. Otherwise you wouldn't be questioning this kid's very real effort to...wait for it...be accountable and own up to his mistakes by removing himself from the draft.

Finally, I think it's strange that you're suggesting that some woman you don't know should forgive some kid you don't know for doing something s***ty to her and not you. I suspect you'd be a little less forgiving if some dude took videos of you sucking c*ck and showed them to all his drinking buddies.

Shannon says it's Wallstedt you brain dead Ekughes slappies

Shannon, the same guy who predicted we'd protect Nielsen and Filppula before the season started. The guy who who could not believe that UFA Glendening wasn't protected. I'll sure take his word for it. 

I didn't know this guy's name. I LOVE this dude. Not because he knows anything (he doesn't). But because he geeks out SO hard for hockey. I genuinely love when dorks have life consuming obsessions. They're so much more fun than those snarky little cynics that are way too cool to actually like anything.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I didn't know this guy's name. I LOVE this dude. Not because he knows anything (he doesn't). But because he geeks out SO hard for hockey. I genuinely love when dorks have life consuming obsessions. They're so much more fun than those snarky little cynics that are way too cool to actually like anything.

^unlike^

Shannon's family home is literally being foreclosed on because he won't stop spending $300 Canadian on collectible jerseys

How many real human dollars is that? I don't know the Dollar to loony exchange rate anymore.

On a serious note, Shannon's self-destructive "hobby" can't be any worse than George Malik's right? As far as I can tell that guy hasn't done an honest day's work in about 15 years because he has "mental health issues" but those all suddenly disappear whenever it's time to drink beers with cute girls in Traverse City on his reader's dime.

On second though, George Malik is a genius.

Just now, kipwinger said:

How many real human dollars is that? I don't know the Dollar to loony exchange rate anymore.

On a serious note, Shannon's self-destructive "hobby" can't be any worse than George Malik's right? As far as I can tell that guy hasn't done an honest day's work in about 15 years because he has "mental health issues" but those all suddenly disappear whenever it's time to drink beers with cute girls in Traverse City on his reader's dime.

On second though, George Malik is a genius.

He still doing this stuff? I didn't follow him on his defection from Kuklas Korner

Just now, BarkBurgerman said:

Lol he literally hasn't written anything about the wings besides how sick he is since like January

I know his "sicknesses" were always a joke but goddamn he's really only doing that now. Who reads this?

Bets on whether he magically becomes less "sick" right before the TC Prospect Tournament and main training camp?