No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Seattle Expansion Draft: Who you pick?

Rate this topic

As of today

forwards - mantha bertuzzi larkin rasmussen fabbri smith svechnikov 

defense - hronek cholowski stecher

goalie - greiss

svechnikov barely plays due to injuries or just doesnt produce , move on and replace him with namestnikov , as of now i wouldnt protect namestnikovwith only one season left before hes a ufa

If canucks(or someone else) comes crawling back cause they realize they f***ed up with stecher (and theyd have the spot to protect him) and pay us the price id trade him by the deadline (hed have more value with that extra season attached) . That happens lindstrom gets the spot

I thought this was "who you pick?" as in if I was Seattle. Not who you protect! LOL!

Here is my team if I were Seattle. I stayed away from pending UFA's except for one, I couldn't pass up on Adam Larsson., I just had capfriendly.com do a quick protect and chose from who was available. Obviously I had to choose some RFA's. I admit that I do not know a lot about some of the players I chose, but I went with an influx of vets and youth. I tried to stay away from huge contracts and too many players over 30. Go ahead do yours and lets see how close we are to the actual draft! (sorry for not having all the info, I tried to snip the entire page, but apparently it was too big to put on the post. I am under the cap by $19M. Also I didn't realize that Little and Girgensons were on the IR, it does not say it when you are drafting, but hopefully they aren't LTIR.)

..also I realized after the fact that I am going to have a lot of waiver issues when it comes to my D, only Foote is exempt. That is also some info that was not on the draft board. I am sure Seattle will select more players that don't have to clear waivers than I did...I am good up front and in G.

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I thought this was "who you pick?" as in if I was Seattle. Not who you protect! LOL!

Here is my team if I were Seattle. I stayed away from pending UFA's except for one, I couldn't pass up on Adam Larsson., I just had capfriendly.com do a quick protect and chose from who was available. Obviously I had to choose some RFA's. I admit that I do not know a lot about some of the players I chose, but I went with an influx of vets and youth. I tried to stay away from huge contracts and too many players over 30. Go ahead do yours and lets see how close we are to the actual draft! (sorry for not having all the info, I tried to snip the entire page, but apparently it was too big to put on the post. I am under the cap by $19M. Also I didn't realize that Little and Girgensons were on the IR, it does not say it when you are drafting, but hopefully they aren't LTIR.)

Capture.JPG.c8445527da21e215ed86bc7ab7d35daf.JPG

..also I realized after the fact that I am going to have a lot of waiver issues when it comes to my D, only Foote is exempt. That is also some info that was not on the draft board. I am sure Seattle will select more players that don't have to clear waivers than I did...I am good up front and in G.

Your forward picks are pretty reasonable, but there is no way Seattle ends up with that defense.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Your forward picks are pretty reasonable, but there is no way Seattle ends up with that defense.

True because you never know who exactly will be protected, I just had capfriendly do a quick protect on who they felt would be protected and picked from there. But if those players are available, nothing is really stopping Seattle from taking them. Except, like I said, the fact that they'd have to waive 5 D and only one has exemptions. I do think that Seattle will take more D with waiver exemptions. Of course there is also the "trade" scenario's offered to NOT take a certain player.  Again, when you are doing the draft, they don't indicate who is waiver exempt (or IR) until you click on the "View Team" tab. I can always go back and swap out some D with some younger D from the same team that will be on the farm. I just gotta figure out which ones I want to keep!

Ok, did some retooling so I have room to safely send some players down to the AHL:

D Jacob Middleton for a 4th G in Josef Korenar from San Jose (giving me 2 G's for the AHL)

D Robert Hagg for C German Rubtsov from Philly

D Calvin De Haan for D Lucas Carlsson from Chicago

D Kevin Shattenkirk for D Josh Mahura from Anaheim

I am pretty happy with this team. Pretty competitive. Also, I am getting the 3rd pick of the draft (elite player) plus the 3rd pick in every round there-after.

Edited by LeftWinger

There should be a zero chance of smith being exposed on waivers. Id protect svechnikov but seeing him go on waivers and unclaimed unless he shows us something the rest of the year i cant us protecting him

Protect larkin mantha bertuzzi fabbri rasmussen smith  ... last spot namestnikov or hirose , all depends how hirose plays the rest if the way and if we need namestnikov exposed for expansion rule , maybe yzerman makes a move for a younger player and protects him? So for me that 7th spot is still up for grabs

For d hronek and stecher is protected (although if someone offers me a 2nd for two post seasons with stecher i move him ) last spots up for grabs with cholowski,lindstrom,djoos

I hope if we want to move on from cholowski( and i have a feeling we do) wed move on from him prior and get a pick for him now while we still can get something

if i had to guess as of right now were gonna lose one of cholowski/lindstrom/djoos

8 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

There should be a zero chance of smith being exposed on waivers. Id protect svechnikov but seeing him go on waivers and unclaimed unless he shows us something the rest of the year i cant us protecting him

Protect larkin mantha bertuzzi fabbri rasmussen smith  ... last spot namestnikov or hirose , all depends how hirose plays the rest if the way and if we need namestnikov exposed for expansion rule , maybe yzerman makes a move for a younger player and protects him? So for me that 7th spot is still up for grabs

For d hronek and stecher is protected (although if someone offers me a 2nd for two post seasons with stecher i move him ) last spots up for grabs with cholowski,lindstrom,djoos

I hope if we want to move on from cholowski( and i have a feeling we do) wed move on from him prior and get a pick for him now while we still can get something

if i had to guess as of right now were gonna lose one of cholowski/lindstrom/djoos

Realistically we should protect fewer players than we're allowed and invite Seattle to take a second pass at our unprotected players.  We don't have many ED eligible players worth keeping.

intriguing scenario, Seattle draft takes place BEFORE players become FA's this year. Might make some teams have to make harder decisions! I don't think our situation will get any worse though, anyone that would become a UFA or RFA was already going to be protected (Bertuzzi) or unprotected (all of our UFA's.) MAYBE if Yzerman does not acquire a D man (Deangelo) then Merrill gets the 3rd protect. I think I would protect Stecher, Hronek and Merrill if I had to. I am not too sure Yzreman is impressed enough with Cholowski or Lindstrom to protect them. Especially if he acquires a D.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

intriguing scenario, Seattle draft takes place BEFORE players become FA's this year. Might make some teams have to make harder decisions! I don't think our situation will get any worse though, anyone that would become a UFA or RFA was already going to be protected (Bertuzzi) or unprotected (all of our UFA's.) MAYBE if Yzerman does not acquire a D man (Deangelo) then Merrill gets the 3rd protect. I think I would protect Stecher, Hronek and Merrill if I had to. I am not too sure Yzreman is impressed enough with Cholowski or Lindstrom to protect them. Especially if he acquires a D.

No way he protects both Stecher and Merrill and exposes both Lindstrom and Cholowski. He is either protecting both young D, or exposing one and protecting the other.

At this point...

Protect:

Forwards:

1. Larkin
  2. Bertuzzi
  3. Vrana
  4. Fabbri
  5. Smith
  6. Erne
  7. Svechnikov
  8. Rasmussen

Defenders:

1. Hronek
  2. Cholowski
  3. Lindstrom

Goalies:

1. Bernier

You can only protect 7 forwards. Who is the one to get exposed? Smith, Erne, or Svech? All of the sudden Erne and Svech are making it more interesting...

39 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

At this point...

Protect:

Forwards:

1. Larkin
  2. Bertuzzi
  3. Vrana
  4. Fabbri
  5. Smith
  6. Erne
  7. Svechnikov
  8. Rasmussen

Defenders:

1. Hronek
  2. Cholowski
  3. Lindstrom

Goalies:

1. Bernier

You can only protect 7 forwards. Who is the one to get exposed? Smith, Erne, or Svech? All of the sudden Erne and Svech are making it more interesting...

IMHO Stecher might be worth protecting on D.

Forwards:

1. Larkin
  2. Bertuzzi
  3. Vrana
  4. Fabbri
  5. Rasmussen
  6. Erne
  7. Smith

Defenders:

1. Hronek
  2. Stetcher
  3. Lindstrom

Goalies:

1. Greiss

I have Svech as the odd man out because I just don't see him overtaking anyone in the pipeline for a top 9 wing role. Smith is a much more suitable option on the fourth line than Svech would be. 

Cholowski is the odd man out on defense unless she shows something real soon. 

Greiss is the obvious choice in goal, as Bernie can be re-signed afterwards. 

I think the forwards are pretty much in the bag atm unless we make a trade prior to the draft even though ive heard some of talk of protecting namestnikov maybe after getting panik  which would be beyond stupid . Can’t see them protecting svechnikov after all the waiver games

larkin vrana bertuzzi fabbri erne smith rasmussen

At D id have traded stetcher now if possible and get the 2022 pick but didnt happen so id say keep him for trade bait next deadline , so its basically between lindstrom/cholowski id personally go with cholowski since its always easier to find a 3rd pairing dman to play

Everything will depend on how the rest of the season goes

Hronek stecher cholowski

greiss is the only one signed so hes protected 

again this can all possibly change if we make some deals which i can see happening with players likely to become available + got a feeling vegas might get a little bit better since they dont have to expose anyone .... i know ppl love stecher for example but if we can trade him to vegas for a 2022 pick and maybe flip one of our late 2nds this draft for a dunn or whomever maybe we do it?

anyways s*** will change im sure

we’ll likely lose one of cholowski/lindstrom/svechnikov/smith

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I read an article saying that Nashville will likely leave both Duschene and Johansen exposed and may even sweeten the pot (picks, salary retained) if Seattle will pick one of them.

If Nashville were to retain enough money to get him down below Larkin's salary, would any of you trade for Ryan Johansen?

Edit: Say Nashville eats 2.5 million, making him cost 5.5 for the next four years (when he'll be 33).

Edited by kipwinger

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Forwards:

1. Larkin
  2. Bertuzzi
  3. Vrana
  4. Fabbri
  5. Rasmussen
  6. Erne
  7. Smith

Defenders:

1. Hronek
  2. Stetcher
  3. Lindstrom

Goalies:

1. Greiss

I have Svech as the odd man out because I just don't see him overtaking anyone in the pipeline for a top 9 wing role. Smith is a much more suitable option on the fourth line than Svech would be. 

Cholowski is the odd man out on defense unless she shows something real soon. 

Greiss is the obvious choice in goal, as Bernie can be re-signed afterwards. 

Scary how little talent we have in the majors.  Some of the players you listed are very expendable.  

Also, what about Zadina.  You didn't list him.  Is he exempt?  

Edited by GMRwings1983

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Scary how little talent we have in the majors.  Some of the players you listed are very expendable.  

Every team is gonna protect someone who is "expendable" though. And little talent in the majors is kind of normal during a rebuild. We're fortunate that we don't have to protect most of our young players like Zadina, Seider, and Raymond. Expansion drafts are the perfect time to be in rebuild mode to be honest.