• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Seattle Expansion Draft: Who you pick?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I read an article saying that Nashville will likely leave both Duschene and Johansen exposed and may even sweeten the pot (picks, salary retained) if Seattle will pick one of them.

If Nashville were to retain enough money to get him down below Larkin's salary, would any of you trade for Ryan Johansen?

Edit: Say Nashville eats 2.5 million, making him cost 5.5 for the next four years (when he'll be 33).

Not the latest version of Johansson no. 

36 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Every team is gonna protect someone who is "expendable" though. And little talent in the majors is kind of normal during a rebuild. We're fortunate that we don't have to protect most of our young players like Zadina, Seider, and Raymond. Expansion drafts are the perfect time to be in rebuild mode to be honest. 

As I said in another thread, we've been in rebuild since 2016.  We may still be in rebuild during the next NHL expansion.  

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

As I said in another thread, we've been in rebuild since 2016.  We may still be in rebuild during the next NHL expansion.  

I just look at how much improvement there has been after one season of Yzerman in charge and realize all is well. 

9 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I just look at how much improvement there has been after one season of Yzerman in charge and realize all is well. 

That bolded part made me chuckle.  Yzerman is a great GM but this franchise is a mess right now in so many ways.  

2 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

That bolded part made me chuckle.  Yzerman is a great GM but this franchise is a mess right now in so many ways.  

Things are clearly, finally, headed in the right direction. Not sure what mess you speak of. 

Almost all bad contracts are off the books, Yzerman has insane cap flexibility going forward, he has stockpiled picks, had two good drafts to stock the prospect pool, and has used cap space to take on contracts for more picks.

The right moves are being made and the team is playing their asses off every game. They are literally on a 9-7-1 run. With this roster. It's almost as if the team is well coached as well.

The Buffalo Sabres are a mess. The Detroit Red Wings are not. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not the latest version of Johansson no. 

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with him this year. I'd definitely want my scouts to figure that out first. Because he's still on the right side of 30 and has a history of production. I'd be curious to know what's going on with him.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Things are clearly, finally, headed in the right direction. Not sure what mess you speak of. 

Almost all bad contracts are off the books, Yzerman has insane cap flexibility going forward, he has stockpiled picks, had two good drafts to stock the prospect pool, and has used cap space to take on contracts for more picks.

The right moves are being made and the team is playing their asses off every game. They are literally on a 9-7-1 run. With this roster. It's almost as if the team is well coached as well.

The Buffalo Sabres are a mess. The Detroit Red Wings are not. 

I'd still rather be Buffalo.  They have more depth and high quality players.  Just ruining their careers with poor coaching and with a losing culture.  Something Detroit should be wary of.  Buffalo's players have only learned how to lose.  Detroit has now been losing for five years.  That's how bad habits build into a loser franchise.  Still, give me their players any day if I'm starting from the ground up.     

The Red Wings have nothing in the way of goaltending.  No depth in that position.  Zilch in the minors.  That's a big concern.  Other teams are developing multiple goalies.  Detroit can't develop a goalie in video game Create Mode.  That goes back many decades.  Why is that?      

A big question mark is a top line center.  The most important position to build from.  Can Begrren or Veleno be top line centers?  Larkin is clearly not that guy.  I don't believe either Bergrren or Veleno were projected as top line players.      

I was more excited about Zadina, Svechnikov, Cholowski, and Rasmussen several years ago.  It's still early but I think we all agree two years ago we'd want more from every player.

Mantha being gone is a letdown.  I know he underperformed, but several years ago, we'd expect him to be a big piece moving forward.  Feels like going in the wrong direction when you have to move from someone you thought was a future star.      

I'm hopeful about Seider and Raymond.  Let's hope they develop better than their predecessors.    

You're right about the bad contracts off the books.  However, with cap space free, would any big name free agents want to play in Detroit?  

Edited by GMRwings1983

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I'd still rather be Buffalo.  They have more depth and high quality players.  Just ruining their careers with poor coaching and with a losing culture.  Something Detroit should be wary of.  Buffalo's players have only learned how to lose.  Detroit has now been losing for five years.  That's how bad habits build into a loser franchise.  Still, give me their players any day if I'm starting from the ground up.     

The Red Wings have nothing in the way of goaltending.  No depth in that position.  Zilch in the minors.  That's a big concern.  Other teams are developing multiple goalies.  Detroit can't develop a goalie in video game Create Mode.  That goes back many decades.  Why is that?      

A big question mark is a top line center.  The most important position to build from.  Can Begrren or Veleno be top line centers?  Larkin is clearly not that guy.  I don't believe either Bergrren or Veleno were projected as top line players.      

I was more excited about Zadina, Svechnikov, Cholowski, and Rasmussen several years ago.  It's still early but I think we all agree two years ago we'd want more from every player.

Mantha being gone is a letdown.  I know he underperformed, but several years ago, we'd expect him to be a big piece moving forward.  Feels like going in the wrong direction when you have to move from someone you thought was a future star.      

I'm hopeful about Seider and Raymond.  Let's hope they develop better than their predecessors.    

You're right about the bad contracts off the books.  However, with cap space free, would any big name free agents want to play in Detroit?  

We dont need any big free agents to come right now , just get some decent guys we can flip for 2nds at the deadline . Next 2 drafts will be huge in where we go down the road , if we can land in the top 3 next few drafts we’ll be really golden

Id suspect yzerman wont try too much to improve this team and i can see raymond not starting in detroit for The betterment of the team longterm , berggren possibly as well and veleno

I have a good feeling we’ll get wallstedt this draft and squash any worries about goaltending , he’d only be ready in 2-4 yrs anyways . Either that or he gets cossa with the caps pick + add soderblom(which id do anyways) 

i think we’re way better off than buffalo that teams just a mess and its only a matter of time before eichel is dealt . Johansson is looking like a steal and we’re lucky we got berggren in the 2nd i can see him being a backstrom type player , feed him with a zadina type and he’ll be racking up the assists

Hopefully a few of the wallinder, niederbach’s,soderblom etc.. surprise and pan out even better than expected and we’re back in . Im expecting 2 more years of mediocrity and then we’ll start surprising ppl real fast . Id hate to see bertuzzi go but i can see yzerman moving him and fabbri next season if it means we “unintentionally” tank . He’s thinking longterm

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Stecher and Hronek are two of my choices to protect. Question is do you protect Cholowski or Lindstrom?

Is Adam Erne earning himself a protection? In whose place? Namestikov? As always do you protect Smith or Svech? I have an odd feeling that Yzerman will choose to protect Smith, he mentioned him more on that TDL press conference and even referred to him as Smitty. Maybe I am just reading too much into that, but ya never know!

As of today, here is are my choices:

Larkin, Bertuzzi, Vrana, Fabbri, Rasmussen, Smith and Erne.

Hronek, Stecher, Cholowski

Griess

...I think if you expose Cholowski and or Svech, Namestikov is safe. Then again, maybe Seattle wants a little more experienced player. I do believe that if Erne keeps up his point pace,and he is left exposed, Seattle will take him over Svech, Smith or Namestikov. Just my opinion. Even though Cholowski hasn't shown much, I am not sure Lindstrom has overtaken him (yet.) I guess we will see with the last remaining games who takes the spot!

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Stecher and Hronek are two of my choices to protect. Question is do you protect Cholowski or Lindstrom?

Is Adam Erne earning himself a protection? In whose place? Namestikov? As always do you protect Smith or Svech? I have an odd feeling that Yzerman will choose to protect Smith, he mentioned him more on that TDL press conference and even referred to him as Smitty. Maybe I am just reading too much into that, but ya never know!

As of today, here is are my choices:

Larkin, Bertuzzi, Vrana, Fabbri, Rasmussen, Smith and Erne.

Hronek, Stecher, Cholowski

Griess

...I think if you expose Cholowski and or Svech, Namestikov is safe. Then again, maybe Seattle wants a little more experienced player. I do believe that if Erne keeps up his point pace,and he is left exposed, Seattle will take him over Svech, Smith or Namestikov. Just my opinion. Even though Cholowski hasn't shown much, I am not sure Lindstrom has overtaken him (yet.) I guess we will see with the last remaining games who takes the spot!

Lindstrom has shown to be the most likely to stick at the NHL level. He won't be a top 4 D, 3rd pair or 7th most likely, but he gives you a safer option.

Cholowski has more potential, IMO, but hasn't shown that he can stick at the NHL level yet. I think he could be a 2nd pair, but he could be a bust, too.

It all depends if Yzerman wants to take the risk with Cholowski, or play it safe with Lindstrom.

How do you not protect cholowski and see what he can do with another coach? I like lindstrom but at the end of the day hes a 5-7 dman and he’s be alot easier to replace, we already have sebrango who with any luck is looking like he can fit in there , mcisaac if he stays healthy + free agency 

it would suck but id definitely protect cholowski , unless yzerman moves stetcher  in the off season , i vegas is exempt so if we tell them give us a 2022 2nd and hes yours id do it without a seconds hesitation

we’ll see what happens

On 4/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, nyqvististhefuture said:

How do you not protect cholowski and see what he can do with another coach? I like lindstrom but at the end of the day hes a 5-7 dman and he’s be alot easier to replace, we already have sebrango who with any luck is looking like he can fit in there , mcisaac if he stays healthy + free agency 

it would suck but id definitely protect cholowski , unless yzerman moves stetcher  in the off season , i vegas is exempt so if we tell them give us a 2022 2nd and hes yours id do it without a seconds hesitation

we’ll see what happens

I dont think it will matter much anyway as I think Seattle takes a F.

11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I dont think it will matter much anyway as I think Seattle takes a F.

Namestnikov with 2 yr left , svechnikov whos teams see us waiving nonstop or hirose 24 yrs old in the ahl ... cant really see them jumping on that

maybe they take namestnikov thinking they can flip him at the deadline for a 3/4th pick? Wouldnt lose much sleep . Regardless whoever we lose it wont be earth shattering but id prefer to protect cholowski over lindstrom . Always easier to find a d body for the 3rd pair

11 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Namestnikov with 2 yr left , svechnikov whos teams see us waiving nonstop or hirose 24 yrs old in the ahl ... cant really see them jumping on that

maybe they take namestnikov thinking they can flip him at the deadline for a 3/4th pick? Wouldnt lose much sleep . Regardless whoever we lose it wont be earth shattering but id prefer to protect cholowski over lindstrom . Always easier to find a d body for the 3rd pair

Erne or Smith may also be available.

Namestnikov would have only one yr left at the expansion draft.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

I think at this point Stevie exposes Svechnikov and one of Cholowski/Lindstrom

Re-sign UFAs: Glendening + Ryan + Gagner + Lashoff + Bernier + Hicketts + McIlrath + Pickard
Re-sign RFAS: All except Brome and Djoos
Sign UFAs: Ian Cole + Jon Merrill
Sign draftee: Keith Petruzzelli
Buyout: Frans Nielsen

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Vrana - Rasmussen - Fabbri
Erne - Namestnikov - Ryan
Panik - Glendening - Gagner
Smith/Svechnikov/Hirose/Veleno

Merrill - Hronek
Cole - Stecher
Dekeyser - Seider
Cholowski/Lindstrom/Hicketts/McIlrath

Bernier
Greiss
Pickard/Petruzzelli/Brattstrom

What about Albert Johansson, Jared McIsaac, Lucas Raymond and Jonathan Berggren? They have a chance to be on opening night roster as well. Especially Raymond as a right hand shot on offense. McIsaac is likely to start in GR but the other three have chance imo.

edit: just read the other thread...

Edited by ely s

8 minutes ago, ely s said:

What about Albert Johansson, Jared McIsaac, Lucas Raymond and Jonathan Berggren? They have a chance to be on opening night roster as well. Especially Raymond as a right hand shot on offense. McIsaac is likely to start in GR but the other three have chance imo.

I HIGHLY doubt a single one of those players makes the opening night roster, let alone play a single game for the Wings next season.

17 minutes ago, ely s said:

edit: just read the other thread...

I think Raymond has the best shot to wow in the preseason and make the opening roster, depending on his gym results over the summer. Still kind of a big 'if' though. If not, one more year in the SHL or even a year in the AHL would do him wonders.

Berggren I think will see time in the AHL first to acclimate. I don't think he has anything left to prove in Sweden.

McIsaac needs a healthy full season in the AHL at minimum. 

Johansson is another who'd straight up have to win a job in camp, though I think that is even less likely than with Raymond. Odds are he'll still need some time to round out his game and not become another Cholowski.

1 minute ago, ely s said:

Berggren is a top ten scorer in a veteran league, I don´t rule him out

While true, I think he more than anyone will need some time to adjust to the NA ice. His one IIHF tournament was in the Czech Republic (big ice). He missed opportunities to play on the smaller ice in these tournaments due to injuries. 

Guys like Raymond at least have SOME experience with smaller ice at the junior level. 

Curious to see if any of these guys play in the World Championships this spiring, as they are being held in Alberta. 

3 minutes ago, ely s said:

so with this ranking Berggren would take a big step back...

Its more about him adjusting to NA hockey and being closer to Detroit. If he meets expectations in the AHL he can make the jump to NHL in the middle of the season. Can't do that if he stays in Sweden.

that´s exactly what I mean, then there will be someone blocking his spot and we have to wait for TDL, blablabla. The european prospects would not be as good, were they not playing pro hockey at the age of 16/17.

6 minutes ago, ely s said:

that´s exactly what I mean, then there will be someone blocking his spot and we have to wait for TDL, blablabla. The european prospects would not be as good, were they not playing pro hockey at the age of 16/17.

I misread your post earlier. You meant Berggren might not need to play in the AHL, not that he shouldn't play there.

Also, I think current management has shown they're willing to sit veteran players in favor of younglings. Blashills often retarded lines notwithstanding. It's frustrating to see Svech out of the line-up but I'm thinking it has the most to do with his physical status.