• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Seattle Expansion Draft: Who you pick?

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Ben Hutton played much more significant minutes for the Ducks and went to the Leafs for a 5th. Lots of examples like this.

Last Dman to go for a 3rd was Mike Reilly. Reilly plays top pairing minutes and both special teams.

Stecher for a 3rd would be a robbery by us. I hope Yzerman can do it, I just find it very unlikely.

But Leddy is worth a 1st at TDL? hmmm...

55 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Since I am too lazy to look, any shockers on the unprotected lists?

Carey Price, Vlad Tarasenko, Gabriel Landeskog are probably the three most surprising. There are other solid options as well, that weren't as surprising. 

1 hour ago, amato said:

Carey Price, Vlad Tarasenko, Gabriel Landeskog are probably the three most surprising. There are other solid options as well, that weren't as surprising. 

would love to se Landeskog get swooped, but wont happen.  3 firsts will go to Seattle.

7 hours ago, Noodles22 said:

I agree but one thing I don't get is why when we have a decent player why we always must trade him because they are over 25 or 26 and don't fit our timeline.  Whatever happened to the days of having a well-balanced team with younger players and veterans?  My point is for what he makes, why not keep him as a 3rd pair for the next 5 years?  If every chance we get, we offload players because "they don't fit into our timeframe" then this rebuild will never be complete.

Agreed.

I find the idea that since player ‘X’ is 27, or 28, or whatever - he’s not worth keeping around for a handful more seasons is rather silly - especially when considering this player contributed in an area of need.

If we had 2, or 3 players that were as good, or better - then fine, but we don’t have that right now and it might be a few more seasons until we have that quality depth.

8 hours ago, Noodles22 said:

I agree but one thing I don't get is why when we have a decent player why we always must trade him because they are over 25 or 26 and don't fit our timeline.  Whatever happened to the days of having a well-balanced team with younger players and veterans?  My point is for what he makes, why not keep him as a 3rd pair for the next 5 years?  If every chance we get, we offload players because "they don't fit into our timeframe" then this rebuild will never be complete.

Vets can easily be added via free agency as needed. You don't have to keep them on the roster for long periods of time. The reason you trade players who are older than your "timeline"  is because you also need to acquire draft picks as part of your rebuild. Logically, the players that you trade for those picks are the players who are too old to fit into your rebuild, particularly if they no longer fill a need. Seider, Hronek, and Lidstrom make Stecher unnecessary. If he isn't going to be re-signed, why not trade him for a pick then?

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Agreed.

I find the idea that since player ‘X’ is 27, or 28, or whatever - he’s not worth keeping around for a handful more seasons is rather silly - especially when considering this player contributed in an area of need.

If we had 2, or 3 players that were as good, or better - then fine, but we don’t have that right now and it might be a few more seasons until we have that quality depth.

Next season, Seider, Hronek, and Lidstrom on the roster means Stecher no longer fills an area of need (RD). You could conceivably move him to the left side, but that doesnt solve the need for another decent LH dman behind Leddy.

36 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Next season, Seider, Hronek, and Lidstrom on the roster means Stecher no longer fills an area of need (RD). You could conceivably move him to the left side, but that doesnt solve the need for another decent LH dman behind Leddy.

Is he coming outta retirement - thought he played on the left side?

Anywho - on a more serious note - if Lindstrom outperforms Stecher - then so be it, but if Stecher continues to play as well as he had in the last dozen games of this past season - I wouldn't be so hasty in having him go.

Maybe Stecher can play on the left side...Might be worth a try.

Edited by F.Michael

9 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

would love to se Landeskog get swooped, but wont happen.  3 firsts will go to Seattle.

It wouldn't be surprising with reports that he's unhappy with negotiations. But most likely he hits the market to see what his value is, then signs with Colorado how Stamkos did

9 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Is he coming outta retirement - thought he played on the left side?

Anywho - on a more serious note - if Lindstrom outperforms Stecher - then so be it, but if Stecher continues to play as well as he had in the last dozen games of this past season - I wouldn't be so hasty in having him go.

Maybe Stecher can play on the left side...Might be worth a try.

Stecher is clearly a better player than Lindstrom at this point. But his deal is up, and I don't know that he would want to re-sign knowing his place on the depth chart. Also, he would possibly have to sign for less money than he could get elsewhere since he would be bumped down to the 3rd pair. It seems Stecher may have been brought in as a placeholder until Seider was ready to go full time and was never part if Yzerman's rebuild. We'll see.

I would be thrilled to keep Stecher around as 3rd pair RD, I just don't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It seems Stecher may have been brought in as a placeholder until Seider was ready to go full time and was never part if Yzerman's rebuild. We'll see.

Yeah. Detroit needed bodies on D last year so Stevie went out and fetched Nemeth, Merrill and Stecher(and Staal). Im sure he would have liked to deal Stecher too at the trade deadline if he would have gotten a third or something.

Just looked over at LetsGoCanes.com and they are not happy about Carolinas selections.

33 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-carey-price-to-see-doctor-regarding-potential-knee-surgery-1.1669456

LeBrun reporting that Price may need knee and possible hip surgery. The timing of this article is pure masterclass. 

Francis sees right through Bergevins lies.

Edited by Akakabuto

24 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Just looked over at LetsGoCanes.com and they are not happy about Carolinas selections.

Francis sees right through Bergevins lies.

I mean, there's a better than decent chance MB is secretly hoping to shed that 10M contract. As beloved as Price is............

6 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

That's my take. Price is 34 with 5 years remaining at $10 mil.
Bergy is losing Weber to LTIR already.
He's looking forward to sheding that 18 million from both stars and rebuilding

That would make him a smart man. 

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm nervous we're going to lose Cholowski, and then Carolina and Tampa are sitting there with Bean and Foote exposed...

Those two are exactly who I had in mind when I said I didn't think they'd take Cholowski. Although they could get Gourde from Tampa as well.. also not a bad pick. Though I'd go Foote if I were them. 

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm nervous we're going to lose Cholowski, and then Carolina and Tampa are sitting there with Bean and Foote exposed...

and neither team interested in moving either guy to at least get an asset for them.....................

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

and neither team interested in moving either guy to at least get an asset for them.....................

There's still a chance they make a deal with Seattle. But yeah it does seem strange. 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

These teams are clearly of the mind that they can only lose one player. So do your worst. The second you flip guys for cheap just to "get something for them," you are suddenly down two players instead of one. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Carolina trades Bean to Anaheim for 33OA > losing him for nothing. For example. 

That's just one aspect of it though. Perhaps they'd rather just lose Bean than lose Bean and Niederreiter for a 33OA pick, which may not amount to anything close to either player. 

It's one player for nothing versus two players for next to nothing. GMs clearly not making them Vegas mistakes again. 

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

That's just one aspect of it though. Perhaps they'd rather just lose Bean than lose Bean and Niederreiter for a 33OA pick, which may not amount to anything close to either player. 

It's one player for nothing versus two players for next to nothing. GMs clearly not making them Vegas mistakes again. 

I removed my post there quick draw. Save you energy.