• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

Pretty much all of Yzerman's UFA signings look pretty retarded from a competitive and forward thinking stand point. I guess Merrill and Stecher are at least cheap... his two big signings in Fil and Greiss haven't helped the team at all, and from Chris Illitches view point he pissed away 10.2 million dollars on them

I guess Stevie wants to keep everything short term and is willing to pay players a little bit extra for shorter contracts.

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

He's basically just added filler while we wait for prospects to mature...  they are more of less "insert name here" kinda guys, who with any luck we can flip for something even a 4th+ round pick before they leave as UFAs.

Yeah I mean I get it. Stop gaps so we lose and draft high.

I just would have preferred signings more similar to Merrill, Stecher, and Namestnikov. At least they're still in their 20s and we can get some prime years out of them. Greiss has already decimated whatever value he had this prior offseason. Filppula on waivers pretty much means his value is zero as well. Maybe someone takes these guys at 50% off? I just doubt it.

Edited by Gniwder

1 hour ago, Gniwder said:

Yeah I mean I get it. Stop gaps so we lose and draft high.

I just would have preferred signings more similar to Merrill, Stecher, and Namestnikov. At least they're still in their 20s and we can get some prime years out of them. Greiss has already decimated whatever value he had this prior offseason. Filppula on waivers pretty much means his value is zero as well. Maybe someone takes these guys at 50% off? I just doubt it.

Not gonna happen.

I just realized that Yzerman has OVER $50M in capspace next year....holy moly!

You have to figure that Bertuzzi, Hronek, Erne and Vrana are all getting hefty raises, but not $50M worth! The rest of the RFA's are minimal raises at best. The ONLY UFA's I would like to see return are Glenny and Ryan. I guess Bernier if he survives the expansion draft since we don't really have a pipeline of G talent, but again not too much of a raise coming to any one of them. Not saying that Yzerman will make a splash in the market, but it gives him a ton of flexibility for competition! IF both Cholowski and Lindstrom survive the expansion draft, and Seider gets a spot, that'll leave DD as the 7th D without re-signing anyone. That is IF Djoos gets qualified. Maybe Yzerman re-signs Staal or pays up for another younger UFA. Maybe he buys out DD's last year of his contract? It'd be a $2M then a $1.5M hit for the next two seasons. But I think, with no cap issues, he'll just keep him signed for the one more season and waive him to GR if he needs the roster spot. 

Edited by LeftWinger

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I just realized that Yzerman has OVER $50M in capspace next year....holy moly!

You have to figure that Bertuzzi, Hronek, Erne and Vrana are all getting hefty raises, but not $50M worth! The rest of the RFA's are minimal raises at best. The ONLY UFA's I would like to see return are Glenny and Ryan. I guess Bernier if he survives the expansion draft since we don't really have a pipeline of G talent, but again not too much of a raise coming to any one of them. Not saying that Yzerman will make a splash in the market, but it gives him a ton of flexibility for competition! IF both Cholowski and Lindstrom survive the expansion draft, and Seider gets a spot, that'll leave DD as the 7th D without re-signing anyone. That is IF Djoos gets qualified. Maybe Yzerman re-signs Staal or pays up for another younger UFA. Maybe he buys out DD's last year of his contract? It'd be a $2M then a $1.5M hit for the next two seasons. But I think, with no cap issues, he'll just keep him signed for the one more season and waive him to GR if he needs the roster spot. 

How would Bernier get picked in the expansion draft? He would be the protected goalie.

Yzerman will most likely use the cap space to take on more bad contracts in exchange for draft picks as well as more 1 year deals that he can flip at the TDL.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

How would Bernier get picked in the expansion draft? He would be the protected goalie.

Bernier is a free agent this summer and won't need to be protected. If Yzerman wants to keep both Greiss and Bernier - as he should - he just waits to re-sign Bernier after the exp draft.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yzerman will most likely use the cap space to take on more bad contracts in exchange for draft picks as well as more 1 year deals that he can flip at the TDL.

I honestly think that Griess will be the protected G.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, Akakabuto said:

Bernier is a free agent this summer and won't need to be protected. If Yzerman wants to keep both Greiss and Bernier - as he should - he just waits to re-sign Bernier after the exp draft.

Yeah. Forgot about that. Call me crazy, but since he wasn't traded, I would actually re-sign Bernier before he hits the market and finds a deal he likes better somewhere else. He could still be the protected goalie. Even if Greiss were taken, which I doubt, he is way easier to replace.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, LeftWinger said:

I honestly think that Griess will be the protected G.

If he is the only one on the roster, than yeah.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:20 PM, Akakabuto said:

Djoos have signed with EV Zug in Swiss league for next season. 

You said that like he's plural. Freudian slip?

13 hours ago, Gniwder said:

Seider has annexed Sweden. Djoos had to flee to neutral Switzerland.

The Yzer Solution will soon be realized.

The fate of Gina Carano awaits you.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

Where is that being reported? I don’t see it anywhere.

https://www.lematin.ch/story/christian-djoos-proche-de-zoug-699938288997

It was a swedish site who referred to this link and said he was ”done”. But now when actually reading the article it only says ”in advanced talks”.

7 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

https://www.lematin.ch/story/christian-djoos-proche-de-zoug-699938288997

It was a swedish site who referred to this link and said he was ”done”. But now when actually reading the article it only says ”in advanced talks”.

I mean I would understand why. Merill and Nemeth are gone and he's still being left out of the lineup.

With Staal on his way out the door and Cholowski being craptastic, you'd think this would be a good place for him to stay if he still has any NHL ambitions. But I guess Seider, Johansson, and McIsaac will be coming for his spot soon...

33 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

I mean I would understand why. Merill and Nemeth are gone and he's still being left out of the lineup.

With Staal on his way out the door and Cholowski being craptastic, you'd think this would be a good place for him to stay if he still has any NHL ambitions. But I guess Seider, Johansson, and McIsaac will be coming for his spot soon...

I wouldn't be against Staal sticking around on a cheap one year contract. He'd be a good veteran presence for Seider. 

53 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I wouldn't be against Staal sticking around on a cheap one year contract. He'd be a good veteran presence for Seider. 

We definitely need more LHD if Djoos leaves. I'd rather take a flyer on a younger player than Staal though. 

Just now, Gniwder said:

We definitely need more LHD if Djoos leaves. I'd rather take a flyer on a younger player than Staal though. 

Oh certainly if there is better willing to come here than Stevie should go for it. I just think Staal would be a nice fit as a first year partner for Seider, based on what we have on the roster now. Straight up just a one year thing, as I think Staal has a good brain for Seider to pick. Staal has always been known for being one of those extreme attention to details guys. And he is certainly far better than guys like Daley, Ericcson thankfully. 

50 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Oh certainly if there is better willing to come here than Stevie should go for it. I just think Staal would be a nice fit as a first year partner for Seider, based on what we have on the roster now. Straight up just a one year thing, as I think Staal has a good brain for Seider to pick. Staal has always been known for being one of those extreme attention to details guys. And he is certainly far better than guys like Daley, Ericcson thankfully. 

My choices would be as follows in this order:

1. Mike Reilly
  2. Alec Martinez
  3. Ian cole
  4. Jamie Oleksiak
  5. Jon Merrill
  6. Marc Staal
Edited by Gniwder

1 hour ago, Gniwder said:

My choices would be as follows in this order:

1. Mike Reilly
  2. Alec Martinez
  3. Ian cole
  4. Jamie Oleksiak
  5. Jon Merrill
  6. Marc Staal

Good list. Would like to add Ryan Murray, who's been good this year in NJD, too somewhere in the middle

8 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Good list. Would like to add Ryan Murray, who's been good this year in NJD, too somewhere in the middle

Fersure, I haven't really watched him play, just knew he was kinda a bust for CBJ.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:38 AM, Akakabuto said:

Big "no thanks" on Murray from me. He's a skilled player but he's got a chronic back condition that will be with him the rest of his career. It was reported on last season by The Athletic's CBJ beat writer. He'll never play anything close to a full season for the rest of his NHL career.