• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Gniwder said:

20 years ago this would be somewhat of a regular or accepted thing. Now it's "just horrible" and shows "zero respect".

I remember arguing with @frankgrimes about Brain McGrattan almost everyday. I'm not in favor of a knuckle dragger who is an absolute pylon and that's their only value is fighting. But a big nasty SOB who can contribute 50 pts a season like a Probert or Wilson is the stuff of dreams and I'd absolutely take one. 

Wonder if we had a "Wilson" would Benn be so eager to lay the lumber on Larkin. 

Aaah the good old days Joey, Mac and the Captain himself gets revenge for the shot he gets @ 10 sec mark  revenge @ 5:48 

15 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

upload_2021-5-4_14-17-44-png.429738

Yzerman should help his old trading partner out. 

Kuzy makes $8 mil for the next 4 seasons and has a 15 team no trade list.

We have been severely lacking a cocaine dealer since Hudler left though

7 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Yeah buddy we need way more Jonatan "Cycles better than Zadina and Veleno" Berggren up in this thread. All that animal does is rip passes, pot apples, and create chances. Keep your stick square on the ice limpdick cause the forecast calls for more assists.

f*** your slap shots, snap shots, and your wristers, you better get quality stick tape bud cause this kid is gonna thread the needle right on to it. Tape to tape and no telegraphs, this ******* kid cannot be stopped.

If I had a choice between Tom Brady and Jonatan Berggren I'd choose Jonny Berggren cause you know that biscuit would get shipped and delivered express with extra handling right to your front door. I'd just pick up the phone and call 1-800-JON-DELIVERS where he can be found earning his living serving up apples to starving snipers.

Blashill probably will be re-signed. I'm ok with it. The team was an absolute disaster in 2019-20; this season, we were back to 2018-19, i.e. playing reasonably good hockey and losing close games because we don't have high-end horses. With Yzerman confirming that the target date for the end of the rebuild is three or four years from now, there's no point in punishing the head coach. Well, unless you believe he's destroying the young talent. And maybe you could make a strong case for that being the reality. But, personally, I think our problems are ~85% roster and ~15% coaching.

We have cap flexibility. Yzerman understands how valuable cap flexibility is. And Yzerman doesn't like hunting big game in free agency. So we're good on that front. I'd really like to see Bernier return. Throw money at him. I dunno what happens with Vrana, but I'm assuming Yzerman gets him on a good contract.

I'd like to see the team start young and stay young. Do we need nine Filppulas providing insulation for younger players? No, I don't think we do. I get that injuries are a thing, but, hey, here's a counterpoint: I don't care. How about we don't go into a season with the mentality that we're going to get bent over a table by injuries. At some point that starts to look like an annual self-fulfilling prophecy. Enough.

Seider is 100% NHL-ready. He is an absolute beauty. I think Raymond is still about a year away; he needs to get bigger, stronger, and a little quicker, and he needs to get used to the smaller ice surface and the different style of play. Worth noting: The SHL game is the opposite of what a lot of people who haven't watched it logically assume it is. It's low-scoring. It's smothering, stifling, boring. It sucks. So, while Raymond never tore the SHL apart (and was never given a major role), that might not mean much. It's possible he tears the AHL apart. Though, of course, the AHL isn't exactly known for high-flying offense.

Berggren probably needs a season in the AHL. Johansson probably needs a season in the AHL. Our top pick in the upcoming draft is almost certainly not going to be an NHL-ready player. So, Seider is the big rising prospect.

I've liked Rasmussen at center. I've liked Veleno at center. I'd like to see them playing center in the NHL straight out of the gate. Again, I don't want to see them spending half the season in Grand Rapids. Run them in the middle-six slots. "That means playing Namestnikov on the wing." ohnothatsucks.gif

Hronek's had a not-super-great season, but we're kind of short on better options. Maybe Seider has himself a Calder-caliber rookie campaign. Cholowski's been surprisingly decent in a top-pairing role. That's cool. Stecher's been solid.

We need serious help at LD. lol.

So, yeah. That's where I'm at.

Edited by Dabura

Offseason plan:

Step 1: Draft Kent Johnson, William Eklund, or Chas Lucius with our 1st pick. Draft Mackie Samoskevich with our 2nd pick.

Step 2: Trade Nashville for Ryan Johansen. They want cap relief, I want a top six center who can produce offensively (Johansen's a great passer)  and can take some of the load off Larkin's shoulders and free him up offensively as well.

Step 3: Sign Tony DeAngelo and Luke Glendening in free agency. After thorough consideration I've decided we need the boost on the powerplay bad enough to warrant the risk on DeAngelo. Glendening is a no-brainer.

Step 4: Lock down all our RFAs

Bert-Larkin-Zadina

Veleno-Johansen-Vrana

Svech-Ras-Fabbri

Erne-Glendening-Panik

DK-Hronek

Cholo-Seider

Stetcher-DeAngelo

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

Blashill probably will be re-signed. I'm ok with it. The team was an absolute disaster in 2019-20; this season, we were back to 2018-20, i.e. playing reasonably good hockey and losing close games because we don't have high-end horses. With Yzerman confirming that the target date for the end of the rebuild is three or four years from now, there's no point in punishing the head coach. Well, unless you believe he's destroying the young talent. And maybe you could make a strong case for that being the reality. But, personally, I think our problems are ~85% roster and ~15% coaching.

We have cap flexibility. Yzerman understands how valuable cap flexibility is. And Yzerman doesn't like hunting big game in free agency. So we're good on that front. I'd really like to see Bernier return. Throw money at him. I dunno what happens with Vrana, but I'm assuming Yzerman gets him on a good contract.

I'd like to see the team start young and stay young. Do we need nine Filppulas providing insulation for younger players? No, I don't think we do. I get that injuries are a thing, but, hey, here's a counterpoint: I don't care. How about we don't go into a season with the mentality that we're going to get bent over a table by injuries. At some point that starts to look like an annual self-fulfilling prophecy. Enough.

Seider is 100% NHL-ready. He is an absolute beauty. I think Raymond is still about a year away; he needs to get bigger, stronger, and a little quicker, and he needs to get used to the smaller ice surface and the different style of play. Worth noting: The SHL game is the opposite of what a lot of people who haven't watched it logically assume it is. It's low-scoring. It's smothering, stifling, boring. It sucks. So, while Raymond never tore the SHL apart (and was never given a major role), that might not mean much. It's possible he tears the AHL apart. Though, of course, the AHL isn't exactly known for high-flying offense.

Berggren probably needs a season in the AHL. Johansson probably needs a season in the AHL. Our top pick in the upcoming draft is almost certainly not going to be an NHL-ready player. So, Seider is the big rising prospect.

I've liked Rasmussen at center. I've liked Veleno at center. I'd like to see them playing center in the NHL straight out of the gate. Again, I don't want to see them spending half the season in Grand Rapids. Run them in the middle-six slots. "That means playing Namestnikov on the wing." ohnothatsucks.gif

Hronek's had a not-super-great season, but we're kind of short on better options. Maybe Seider has himself a Calder-caliber rookie campaign. Cholowski's been surprisingly decent in a top-pairing role. That's cool. Stecher's been solid.

We need serious help at LD. lol.

So, yeah. That's where I'm at.

Are there better coaches available? If the answer is yes, then let Blashill go.

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Are there better coaches available? If the answer is yes, then let Blashill go.

I think there are good arguments for that and good arguments against that. At the end of the day, I'm not sure it really matters who's coaching this team right now. If we can bring in an absolute madman with a great track record who wants to coach this bottom-basement team? Awesome. But, like, is Gerard Gallant that guy? I'm not so sure.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Offseason plan:

Step 1: Draft Kent Johnson, William Eklund, or Chas Lucius with our 1st pick. Draft Mackie Samoskevich with our 2nd pick.

Step 2: Trade Nashville for Ryan Johansen. They want cap relief, I want a top six center who can produce offensively (Johansen's a great passer)  and can take some of the load off Larkin's shoulders and free him up offensively as well.

Step 3: Sign Tony DeAngelo and Luke Glendening in free agency. After thorough consideration I've decided we need the boost on the powerplay bad enough to warrant the risk on DeAngelo. Glendening is a no-brainer.

Bert-Larkin-Zadina

Veleno-Johansen-Vrana

Svech-Ras-Fabbri

Erne-Glendening-Panik

DK-Hronek

Cholo-Seider

Stetcher-DeAngelo

I'd be good with all of this.

I think you're right about the kind of player we need to be mining for with our first two picks. In 2018 (which was billed as a weak draft), we took Rasmussen over the likes of Necas and Suzuki. Because 6'6", or something. That felt dumb at the time and I dare say it doesn't feel any less dumb here in 2021. Vrana creating offense out of nothing on a toothless Wings team serves as a reminder that the kind of high-end scoring prowess we so desperately need isn't something that can be taught; a player has it or he doesn't. So you have to identify young players who ooze offensive wizardry and you have to spend your valuable picks on them.

I know you and I both really like Trevor Zegras and I know that's the kind of player you have in mind. And I'm with you on that. Taking Seider over him was probably the right call. So now let's find a Zegras. Kent Johnson, to me, screams That Guy. Mackie Samoskevich is underrated. I'd be perfectly ok with those two picks.

Any sense of what the hypothetical ask for Johansen might be?

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I'd be good with all of this.

I think you're right about the kind of player we need to be mining for with our first two picks. In 2018 (which was billed as a weak draft), we took Rasmussen over the likes of Necas and Suzuki. Because 6'6", or something. That felt dumb at the time and I dare say it doesn't feel any less dumb here in 2021. Vrana creating offense out of nothing on a toothless Wings team serves as a reminder that the kind of high-end scoring prowess we so desperately need isn't something that can be taught; a player has it or he doesn't. So you have to identify young players who ooze offensive wizardry and you have to spend your valuable picks on them.

I know you and I both really like Trevor Zegras and I know that's the kind of player you have in mind. And I'm with you on that. Taking Seider over him was probably the right call. So now let's find a Zegras. Kent Johnson, to me, screams That Guy. Mackie Samoskevich is underrated. I'd be perfectly ok with those two picks.

Any sense of what the hypothetical ask for Johansen might be?

I’ve seen it rumored that Nashville will leave Johansen unprotected in the expansion draft just to get his contract off the books. So if they’re willing to lose him for nothing then I’d assume it wouldn’t take much. But I’d want them to retain salary, so maybe a 3rd and a B level prospect depending on how much they’re retaining. 

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Offseason plan:

Bert-Larkin-Zadina

Veleno-Johansen-Vrana

Svech-Ras-Fabbri

Erne-Glendening-Panik

DK-Hronek

Cholo-Seider

Stetcher-DeAngelo

I like these ideas. Only change is make is Cossa with the caps pick, but that's nitpicking. I'd also prob swap Ras and veleno. 

13 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Offseason plan:

Bert-Larkin-Zadina

Veleno-Johansen-Vrana

Svech-Ras-Fabbri

Erne-Glendening-Panik

DK-Hronek

Cholo-Seider

Stetcher-DeAngelo

Not sure I would pair a rookie D with Cholowski. I would pair Cholowski with Stetcher and Seider with DeKeyser.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I’ve seen it rumored that Nashville will leave Johansen unprotected in the expansion draft just to get his contract off the books. So if they’re willing to lose him for nothing then I’d assume it wouldn’t take much. But I’d want them to retain salary, so maybe a 3rd and a B level prospect depending on how much they’re retaining. 

getterdunsteve.wmv

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I like these ideas. Only change is make is Cossa with the caps pick, but that's nitpicking. I'd also prob swap Ras and veleno. 

I do feel like Cossa is a legit possibility, assuming he's as good as advertised. Yzerman took Vasilevskiy with a second 1st, 19th overall (as we all know).

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not sure I would pair a rookie D with Cholowski. I would pair Cholowski with Stetcher and Seider with DeKeyser.

I think Dmitry Kulikov could be a really good UFA add. That means someone would have to go, though. And it wouldn't address the PP QB problem.

meh