• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Boy I hope it's Vancouver and not Toronto. Will be hard to watch a fan favorite go to the Leafs.

Eriksson + Juolevi + 9th overall this year for Bertuzzi

Heck no Eriksson and juolevi are trash and the 9th overall pick in a weak draft that still 3-4 years away from playing. No thanks. From Vancouver it starts with Boeser and Podkolzin nothing less.

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Friedman is now reporting Yzerman indeed taking calls on Bertuzzi. Believes Toronto and Vancouver are front runners 

Yzerman also said that he plans on signing Bert to a multi year deal and keep him. Yeah Yzerman is fielding calls doesn't mean he's moving Bert though. And saying that Toronto and Vancouver are front runner is laughable considering neither will give Yzerman his asking price.

2 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

The only way Bertuzzi is dealt, is if he tells Yzerman he plans on going to free agency and wont sign long term.

From Toronto it starts with Robertson, Vancouver Boeser and Podkolzin.

If there's a trade involving Bertuzzi and Boeser, Detroit has to add, not Vancouver. No way they'd add Podkolzin, unless you're willing to part with 6th overall, or another significant piece. I love Bert, but you (and others) are massively overvaluing him. Boeser is a better player, and he's also two years younger.

If we're trading with Toronto, the ask should be Sandin, not Robertson (or Amirov) in my opinion... We have enough small, skilled wingers.

2 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Heck no Eriksson and juolevi are trash and the 9th overall pick in a weak draft that still 3-4 years away from playing. No thanks. From Vancouver it starts with Boeser and Podkolzin nothing less.

Yzerman also said that he plans on signing Bert to a multi year deal and keep him. Yeah Yzerman is fielding calls doesn't mean he's moving Bert though. And saying that Toronto and Vancouver are front runner is laughable considering neither will give Yzerman his asking price.

I think if you can get 9th overall, plus another piece, you run with that. We could take a skater at 6th overall, and goalie (Wallstedt) at 9th overall. Fill two huge holes, and still have the 22nd pick, plus multiple 2nd's...

Bertuzzi is a very solid player who's young enough that he could conceivably still be a very solid player for us four years from now, when we're a better team (knock on wood).

...On the other hand, "How well is Bertuzzi going to age?" was a reasonable question even before the back problem. And, even without the back problem, you could make the case that his age (27 in February) puts him outside the "impact zone" for our rebuild timeline.

...On the other hand, we're trying to build something, and that means icing good lineups, and Bertuzzi is far and away one of our better roster players.

...On the other hand, if you can get a really good haul for a 26-year-old who's got some injury and/or aging baggage...you should probably do it.

The cool thing about Bertuzzi trade rosterbation is Bertuzzi has the GRIT! factor that can make GMs do goofy stuff. Jim Benning's looking to shake things up. Chuck Fletcher's looking to shake things up. The Leafs were (and probably still are) in on Bertuzzi. The Habs would love Bertuzzi. The Jets are surely looking for playoff performers with a pulse. (Bertuzzi has no NHL playoff experience, but he was a legendarily clutch postseason guy at lower levels.) Oilers and Ken Holland. Isles and Barry Trotzian hockey. Blues and Blues hockey and trying to keep their Cup window open. The list goes on.

If it's TOR, I want Rasmus Sandin (+).

If it's PHI, I want Cam York (+).

If it's WPG, I want Peyton Krebs (+).

If it's VAN, I want 9OA + Jack Rathbone.

If it's LA, I want two of 8OA, Tobias Bjornfot, Rasmus Kupari.

You get the idea.

I think that VAN ask hits the sweet spot intersection of HYPE! and plausibility. I'm really bullish on Jack Rathbone. If Benning says, "I'll give you 9OA + Jett Woo. You're not getting Rathbone without adding," throw in hometown kid Cholowski and a pick.

Edited by Dabura

On 7/11/2021 at 2:21 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Considering what SY got for Mantha, I would expect another overpayment for Bertuzzi.

I'm willing to bet Tronna was prepared to overpay for him. Why? Because he's appealing to both stats nerds (Team Dubas) and more old-school types (many Leafs fans and Canadian pundits). I honestly think he could be a godsend for a team that has high-skill scorers but lacks all-situations Swiss Army knife junkyard dogs. (BAH GAWD THAT'S KEN HOLLAND'S MUSIC!)

If next season he picks up right where he had left off, and if we're still clearly not a playoff team...I think he gets traded. And I don't think we'd end up missing him all that much. At least, not in the short term. Cuz we're gonna be fapping ourselves raw over the talent at the top of next year's draft class. Oh, and Seider's gonna be stacking bodies like Rambo.

Edited by Dabura

35 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm willing to bet Tronna was prepared to overpay for him. Why? Because he's appealing to both stats nerds (Team Dubas) and more old-school types (many Leafs fans and Canadian pundits). I honestly think he could be a godsend for a team that has high-skill scorers but lacks all-situations Swiss Army knife junkyard dogs. (BAH GAWD THAT'S KEN HOLLAND'S MUSIC!)

If next season he picks up right where he had left off, and if we're still clearly not a playoff team...I think he gets traded. And I don't think we'd end up missing him all that much. At least, not in the short term. Cuz we're gonna be fapping ourselves raw over the talent at the top of next year's draft class. Oh, and Seider's gonna be stacking bodies like Rambo.

Not sure Bertuzzi is any better than Hyman. If they lose the latter and gain the former I think it's basically a lateral move.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Not sure Bertuzzi is any better than Hyman. If they lose the latter and gain the former I think it's basically a lateral move.

Sure. I agree that losing Hyman and gaining Bertuzzi probably doesn't move the needle for the Leafs. I was speaking more to the past, i.e. a 2020-2021 Leafs team featuring both Hyman and Bertuzzi. They've both shown they can handle the 45/55 zone starts usage; put them in the same lineup and suddenly you've doubled your shutdown pleasure.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Edmonton fans blowing a gasket. Welcome to Ken Holland-land Edmonton! 

Re: Bertuzzi 

To VAN : Bertuzzi, Zadina

To DET : Quinn Hughes, 2nd rounder. Eriksson salary dump.

let's do this! :lol:

That's brutal... giving up all that to fix the Zadina mistake.

Not to mention I think Vancouver balks at that deal.

The Athletic: Wild to buy out Parise and Suter per sources

The Wild will pay each $6.7 million over the next eight years and be charged with $2.371 million, $6.371 million and $7.371 million cap hits in the next four years, respectively, for each, then $833,333 cap hits the four years after that for each.

This gives the Wild another $10.33 million in cap space to play with this summer where Kirill Kaprizov and Kevin Fiala have to be re-signed and the team could be pursuing a No. 1 center.

It's reverse 2012

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Imagine being Holland today. 

Suter could be had for less than Keith is being paid without giving up assets. 

He's also younger and better

Kenny lost his mind with that trade.... he paid for a cap dump.  The guy isn't GM material in 2021.

Am I the only one that doesn't think the Keith trade was THAT bad? Caleb Jones is basically Xavier Ouellet. He's not good. The 3rd round pick isn't likely to amount to anything. Keith was awful in a top pair role in Chicago the past couple seasons, but with a change of scenery on a better team, in a lesser role, he could be a decent middle pair defenseman. The only real issue I see with the trade, is no salary retention. Holland should have been able to get Bowman to eat some of that contract...

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

All joking aside, I'd love to see Suter paired with Seider for a couple seasons...

I honestly think Suter would help out here. Sure, he wouldn't be around to see the end of the rebuild, but again, much like Bobby Ryan, he could be had for cheap now and then if we need to trade him at the TDL so be it, if not, and he stays a couple of years, like you said, he would be a great mentor for Sieder. 1 or 2 years x $1.5M sounds nice!

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Suter's averaged 0.5 PPG over the last 2 COVID seasons. 

I can easily see someone giving him 3M x 2

I'd be more than comfortable with $3M for 2 years of Suter. He was (is) still a good defenseman, just overpaid.