• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I didn't ask you if Yzerman would call Neil Sheehy or not. I asked if you think Suter will sign here.

I give it a generous 2% chance that Suter signs here.

So do you think Yzerman *should* call Neil Sheehy? Too old amirite?

Cool. What do you give the odds on Oleksiak signing? What about Oesterle? McCabe?

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

The only thing I do not agree with is giving Washington back their 1st. "Helping" them out should and would cost a lot less. Yzerman got Staal and a 2nd in exchange for nothing basically in order to "help" out the Rangers. Now, I am not saying Samsonov is equal to Marc Staal, but I'm betting it would cost no more than a 2nd going back. Maybe just a 3rd. This would be PRE-Expansion draft.

I'd take Johnson and Foote for a 5th in return. This would be a total "help." Even though they are poised to circumvent the cap again with Hedman going on LTIR after surgery, I don't think they can keep him there all year and expect to be contenders again. They need cap relief, and this helps them tremendously, plus they will probably lose Palat or Killorn to Seattle considering they may choose to protect young players like Raddysh or Joseph instead. Pre-expansion.

Toronto...oh Toronto, what are you going to give us? You want Bertuzzi, you also want cap relief so you can re-sign Filigno and persue Suter (maybe) and possibly attempt a deal for Jones. It'll start with Nylander and a 1st. You wanna trade us Dermott so you don't lose him? Fine, Nylander, Dermott and Liljegrin. We'll even toss in a draft pick for ya! Pre-expansion. This would allow us to protect Hronek, Stecher and Dermott on the back end and Nylander will take Bert's protection up front. With Dermott, I really couldn't care less if we lost BOTH Cholowski and Lindstrom (which we cannot, but it wouldn't matter.)

I still like the Vancouver idea (rumor or suggestion, it doesn't matter) I would love to get another top 10 pick.

Dermott - Hronek

Koekkoek - Seider

Dekeyser - Stecher

??? (re-sign Staal?)

Yes, I'd still like to see KoekKoek get signed here. I know Cholo and Lindstrom are out of waiver exemptions, so maybe use them as a throw in for a trade above, or #7 D. Trade the other to Holland.

so let's sum it up! ( :lol: I like doing this!)

to DET : Ilya Samsonov (RFA rights)

to WSH : 2021 2nd round pick

to DET : Tyler Johnson, Cal Foote

to TPA : 2021 4th round pick

to DET : William Nylander, Travis Dermott, Timothy Liljegrin

to TOR : Tyler Bertuzzi, 6th round, Gus Lindstrom (why not!)

sign UFA's Slater KoekKoek and Zach Hyman. Re-sign Bobby Ryan and Luke Glendening.

We wouldnt be "helping" them. They risk losing players for nothing. They would rather get something back in return. So you offer them something below market value in exchange for that player because its better than nothing. No one is going to give Yzerman assets to take a player that they can give away for free to Seattle.

5 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I mean you're first going to have to convince me why Suter would even want to come to Detroit. He's gonna spend 2 of the last good years he has left with a team that has zero chance at a cup? Why? There's going to be many suitors for him that can offer him shots at the cup now.

I'll be frank... I don't think we have much of a shot at guys like Jamie Oleksiak either. But hopefully you can convince at least one of these younger guys with promises of big ice time and big role so that they can build their brand for the future.

I wouldn't call any of the names I've thrown out to be inexperienced. We're talking about 27-32 year old prime Dmen with multi-season experience.

Based on the rumors coming out about Suter's time in Minny I'd much rather have Seider mentored by Staal or Martinez. But I have the same complaint about them. Both will be retired before this team turns around so I don't see much use in investing in them. I'd rather pursure a Jordan Oesterle or Jake McCabe then ditch them in a trade in a few years while their still serviceable - much like Merrill and Nemeth -  or have them surprise us and stick around with the team as vets for the future.

Do I think Suter signs in Detroit? Doubtful. Do I think he would be a good fit with Seider and SY should try to make it happen? Yes.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Unless the Caps can swing a deal with the Kracken - there stands a fair chance Yzerman could nab 1 of their 2 promising netminders for a very low price of a 2nd (might have to add a 3rd round pick too or a lowly prospect).

Gives me some hope for a faster rebuild.

I would even trade 22 back to them for Varlamov. It's likely Cossa would be gone by then and there's no way of knowing if he'll be as good as Varlamov anyway. Plus it would mean SY is using #6 on a skater and not on Waldo.

Doubt it would take that much tho since they risk losing a goalie for nothing anyway. 

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Do I think Suter signs in Detroit? Doubtful. Do I think he would be a good fit with Seider and SY should try to make it happen? Yes.

This. I'd add though, at this point I would say any potential free agent is "doubtful" to come to Detroit.

Ignoring the "Suter is a cancer" rumors, just looking at the player, he should be at the top of Yzerman's list of targets this summer. If the rumors are true, maybe you stay clear, but I would think Yzerman has a better pulse on that, than any of us.

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Problem is, you cant properly evaluate or develop your young dmen if they're all playing with other young, inexperienced dmen. Preferably, you would want a vet or 2 to pair with them while they develop.

I agree to a point. But I believe you can evaluate and develop young D-men with other young D-men. I would try to keep it 2,3 at the most. 

Currently we have Vet Lite Hronek, Vets DeKyser, and Stetcher and I think Stall stays for 1 to 2 years. With Seider coming up the season that leaves 1 roster spot for Lindstom, Cholowski and possibly McIssac. 

The idea of having vets as mentors is ok, but when is to many, to many.

11 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Sure, and Eichel would fit nice in one of our empty top6 C spots. And Landeskog would be a nice addition and mentor in our top6 as well.

But none of us are discussing these players becoming Wings, because we know there's not much of a chance in hell they're coming to Detroit.

We're going to be looking at another crop of Stechers and Merrills. Sorry to be the one to drag down the Suter hype party, but that's the reality were in right now. We will be beyond lucky if we even land a Martinez or Oleksiak.

Not even remotely the same thing... Eichel is under contract for another 5 seasons at $10M per, and would cost way more than we should be comfortable giving up (Seider+). Landeskog is a top free agent that will be looking for long-term (7 years), at a high AAV ($8M+).

It doesn't make sense to trade multiple pieces (top prospects / picks) to add Eichel. Sure you fill a major hole, but make another hole(s) in the process. It also doesn't make sense to invest huge money, long-term in Landeskog, a player older than our current core, that will be on the back end of his career when the team is ready to turn the corner. Yzerman has stated several times, he's not interested in making these type moves at this time.

If Yzerman is making any trades, I think it'll be another Fabbri (low risk / high reward) or Mantha (gaining future assets) or Staal (cap dump) type trade. I doubt we'll see any blockbusters at this time... If Yzerman is making any free agent signings, I think it'll be short-term stop-gaps like Stecher / Merrill, (Suter / Martinez). I doubt we'll see any star players in their prime signed long-term at this time...

1 minute ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Oh I didn't realize any of that. We're def getting Suter now...

Yup, because that's what I said...

I agree with one thing you said, and that is that Suter is unlikely to come to Detroit. That doesn't change the original point (which you also agreed with), that Yzerman should make calls on Suter this summer.

The point of the above post was that the comparison you made was dumb. People aren't not discussing Eichel and Landeskog because "we know there's not much of a chance in hell they're coming to Detroit"... When has that ever stopped anyone? It's because it doesn't make sense (cost / term / age) for where we are in the rebuild...

I actually think Yzerman could trade for Eichel if he wanted to give up the assets. Fortunately, he's not going to give up Seider+ to get him... I also think Yzerman could sign Landeskog if he wanted to overpay in free agency. Fortunately, he's not going to pay term / money to a soon to be 29 year old...

13 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Keep splitting hairs. We're not discussing Ovechkin to Detroit, or Hall to Detroit, or Saad to Detroit, or Hamilton to Detroit, or Tatar to Detroit. Cause none of those bros are coming here and it's Suter fanboy season all over again.

Nope. We're not discussing these players because Yzerman has specifically said that he won't be targeting these types of players...

I could care less about Suter.

14 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I agree Yzerman should call Neil Sheehy, and it seems we both agree Sheehy will let him know his client isn't interested.

Nope. I think there's a possibility Suter (just like any other UFA) would be interested in Detroit.

15 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Are we done here now?

Sure.

No fresh facts here or anything, but to see it in writing is really staggering: 

Wing's have 49M in cap space. Next closest is Buffalo with 34M. 

They have 12 picks in 2021 draft. 5 in the first 2 rounds. 

How in actual fuc can Yzerman not do something amazing over the next 2-3 weeks? 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

3 hours ago, WRusco said:

I agree to a point. But I believe you can evaluate and develop young D-men with other young D-men. I would try to keep it 2,3 at the most. 

Currently we have Vet Lite Hronek, Vets DeKyser, and Stetcher and I think Stall stays for 1 to 2 years. With Seider coming up the season that leaves 1 roster spot for Lindstom, Cholowski and possibly McIssac. 

The idea of having vets as mentors is ok, but when is to many, to many.

I wouldnt re-sign Staal. The only point of bringing him in in the first place was the pick attached and the hope of flipping him again later. Without any compensation, I wouldn't bring him back unless Suter and Martinez sign elsewhere.

I wouldn't consider Hronek a vet yet. 

DeKeyser is really the only vet D on the roster, and he'll only be here one more season anyway and will need to be replaced anyway.

Same with Stecher. May be taken in the expansion draft, but only has one more year left on his deal even if he stays.

Seider, Hronek, and Cholowski for sure on the roster this coming season.

DeKeyser most likely there for one more season. That's only 4 spots.

Even if Stecher doesn't go to Seattle and Lindstrom also makes the roster, you still have one more spot to fill.

I would sign one more vet, who would be a good fit with Seider, to a 2 year deal.

Suter/Martinez - Seider

DeKeyser - Hronek

Cholowski - Stecher

Lindstrom

DeKeyser and/or Stecher gone the following season to make room for more young D.

3 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Micheal Russo says that Kaprizov and his agent have turned down a $9x8 from Minnesota, and that they see him as a $10-$11 mil dollar player in this league.

Absolutely beautiful week out there in Minnesota. There's just no way they can afford Eichel + there RFA's + these buyout penalties.

No. Kaprizov is Elisa Lam level delusional.

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Vote for Martinez

If we're going for a stinky old LHed vet to play with Seider then sign me up for the guy who played like a beast this post season on a broken foot (assuming the foot doesn't eff him up this season). 

42 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I wouldnt re-sign Staal. The only point of bringing him in in the first place was the pick attached and the hope of flipping him again later. Without any compensation, I wouldn't bring him back unless Suter and Martinez sign elsewhere.

I wouldn't consider Hronek a vet yet. 

DeKeyser is really the only vet D on the roster, and he'll only be here one more season anyway and will need to be replaced anyway.

Same with Stecher. May be taken in the expansion draft, but only has one more year left on his deal even if he stays.

Seider, Hronek, and Cholowski for sure on the roster this coming season.

DeKeyser most likely there for one more season. That's only 4 spots.

Even if Stecher doesn't go to Seattle and Lindstrom also makes the roster, you still have one more spot to fill.

I would sign one more vet, who would be a good fit with Seider, to a 2 year deal.

Suter/Martinez - Seider

DeKeyser - Hronek

Cholowski - Stecher

Lindstrom

DeKeyser and/or Stecher gone the following season to make room for more young D

I think Staal resigns, didn't say it was ideal. He knows the system, the players and coaching staff. Also signaled he would be willing to come back. If he's not resigned than I can see the need for 1Vet,just not an overpaid one.

Hronek, that's why I said Vet Lite. He's played 167 NHL games.

DeKyser I fully agree on. He should be gone after next season, although with his health I don't see him making a full 82 game season.

Stetcher /Cholowski/Lindstrom. This depends on the expansion draft. I would hate to lose Lindstrom. I think he can be decent defensive defenceman on the 3rd line.

5 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Dekeyer isn't a top4 Dman IMO and we should try to push him down to the bottom pairing if we can.

I'm not all that interested in signing Eric Staal just to keep Marc.

1. Agreed, but unless Cholowski suddenly develops NHL abilities, he would be a worse choice there.

2. Heck, no.