• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Wild Bosses Wanted Parise And Suter Gone

Rather have Seider learning from a 300 year old Marc Staal. At least he acts like a professional and a teammate.

Culture matters. Unity matters. Feeling good about yourself and your teammates and your team and your organization matters.

You want good energy. You want each and every person to be ride-or-die for any and every other person. You want a great big Family unit. You want everyone pulling in the same direction – because they *want* to.

Brotherly blood, brotherly sweat, brotherly tears.

When you win, it's a collective brotherly triumph. When you lose, you've failed your family.

Family.jpg

I honestly think the Babcock era Wings didn't have that. And I honestly think that's the main reason why we only got one Cup out of all those stacked lineups. I can't even really blame Babcock; if you're getting paid to be you (in Babcock's case, an alleged thunderprick of epic proportions), you're not going to try to be someone else. If the players don't like it, they can complain to the GM.

My understanding is Red Wings players did complain to the GM...and that the GM's answer was basically "Winning culture. Get f***ed."

Winning.png

I've gone out of my way to defend Holland on the basis that Holland = winning culture = good. But the older I get, the more I question that math. Lately I'm thinking the Wings' vaunted winning culture is largely a myth. Suter and Parise, for example. If they are in fact colossal jackwagons, that's something that would've been known back in 2012, when we tried to sign them.

There's a behind the scenes clip from this past season that's stuck with me. Gagner was mic'd up for the game. Everyone's in the locker room and getting ready to go out and hit the ice for warmups. He asks how someone's doing, might've been DeKeyser. DeKeyser says, "Doesn't matter." Gagner asks again, ostensibly because he didn't catch the reply. "Doesn't matter," DeKeyser repeats.

Can't read too much into a five-second locker room exchange during the back half of a tank season. But I will say this much: Seider and Raymond will be bringing different energy.

I dunno that Holland-->Yzerman is an upgrade in the culture cultivation department. In theory, he is. I hope he is.

5 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

From Freidman's 31 thoughts column:

Logical next step to assembling Larkin & Friends

Not that it bothers me, but why is it we're always reading "but Detroit is in the mix" when it comes to Hyman?

Does Yzerman really have interest, or is Freidman collecting a finders/advertising  fee here for his mensch Hyman?

3 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Former Red Wing darling, check
Lefty defense, check
Old and past his prime, check

Edmonton. That's Holland's checklist.

So!

Welcome to the pre-expansion draft protection list submission trade deadline! Let's get this ball (puck) rolling!!!

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Unspectacular move IMO.

Yzerman must figure he can get at least a 52OA back for Leddy at the deadline. 

Hopefully... seems like we should have got the sweetener not the Isles.

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I guess we have a solid LHD vet to pair with Seider. 

Leddy is a good player. 

Looks like 50% salary retained on Panic too. 

this is what i was thinking. a young ish vet to pair with seider. leddy is a solid puck mover too.. will help seider's development when he gets to the nhl imo

Just now, arag said:

Alec Martinez would have been better and without a need to give up a draft pick. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at as well. I don't hate the addition of Leddy, but there were cheaper options going to be available in free agency. If we were adding assets, great, otherwise should have waited until after the expansion draft / free agency. This also puts another wrinkle in the protection list for D. Two of Stecher, Cholowski and Lindstrom will be exposed. Also retaining salary on Panik.

I can't help but think Yzerman may have lost this trade. The only way to get back in the win column is if Leddy is flipped for a 2nd (or 1st) round pick at the deadline...

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at as well. I don't hate the addition of Leddy, but there were cheaper options going to be available in free agency. If we were adding assets, great, otherwise should have waited until after the expansion draft / free agency. This also puts another wrinkle in the protection list for D. Two of Stecher, Cholowski and Lindstrom will be exposed. Also retaining salary on Panik.

I can't help but think Yzerman may have lost this trade. The only way to get back in the win column is if Leddy is flipped for a 2nd (or 1st) round pick at the deadline...

Now Y has to protect Leddy unless he is planning to package him in another multi player trade. There are plenty of average ufa d man that can be flipped at deadline for second round picks. 

11 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Leddy's reaction when hearing about the trade ...

Infant Crying Child PNG, Clipart, Baby, Cheek, Child, Chin, Cry Free PNG  Download

But I agree with others - why trade for a guy with 1 year left on his contract when we could've signed Martinez ?

i had the martinez thought immediately. but it's probably his last chance at a long-ish term deal.. and someone will likely give him one since, free agency. also, he's four (or so?) years older than Leddy.. could've been a factor. 

18 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Leddy's reaction when hearing about the trade ...

Infant Crying Child PNG, Clipart, Baby, Cheek, Child, Chin, Cry Free PNG  Download

But I agree with others - why trade for a guy with 1 year left on his contract when we could've signed Martinez ?

1. He still might sign Martinez

2. Martinez will want 5 x 4 or sonething

3. Leddy is 4 years younger, probably better, and much cheaper in terms of "term" remaining

4. Yzerman probably gets a late 2nd back for Leddy at the 22 TDL. So essentially, you're renting a pretty solid vet for a season at the cost of maybe sliding a bit in the 2nd round.