• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gniwder

Eemil Viro

Rate this topic

Hopefully this is just other teams recognizing him and focusing on shutting him down in his sophomore year in the Liiga.

Last year: 14 pts in 53 games
This year: 4 pts in 44 games

I don't think he's expected to be a point producer at this point. My comparison to Rafalski was more than a stretch in that regard. He's very good defensively, and actually plays a lot like Joe Hicketts in this area. Very aggressive and speedy. Does NOT play the slow, minimizing, calculating, defensive game of Nick Lidstrom where he slowly takes away your space and positioning and corrals you into a non-threatening area. He closes the gap and attacks.

He made the Liiga very early for a young man and signed a contract with the Red Wings remarkably early. So I still believe there's a lot of potential there. But this might be more of Gustav Lindstrom situation, than a paired with Seider situation. I can see him joining the team at a very young age, but just not having that super high ceiling I hoped for.

Was interesting to note that in the Presser Yzerman mentioned bringing over Johansson, Soderblom, Edvinsson, AND Viro this year. I believe he also said Viro had a great year.

Maybe points ain't everything with this kid.