• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gniwder

4/15 - Don't Panik And Smoke This Mari-Vrana GDT - Culture Appropriating Chicago Team @ Red Team - 7:30 PM EDT

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If you consider Lundquist and Price two of the top goalies of the modern era (which they pretty clearly are) then they're prime evidence that you shouldn't draft a guy like that in the top five. Neither of those guys have ever won anything. It's not like the old days were a great goalie can drag a mediocre team to success. You NEED to have a good team, and then you can win with a good(ish) but not great goalie. I'd rather be the Blackhawks with Corey Crawford than the Rangers with Lundquist every single time.

Edit: Look at the last 10 Cup Champions and only Vasilevsky is a really elite goalie. Maaaaybe Quick too. But nobody else really.

Not trying to simplify things, and I'm going out on a limb here by saying this...

This uncertain draft class...Would you go for a guy who could be another Larkin or a guy who could be another Lundqvist - keep in mind I'm taking our wonderful lotto luck into consideration and at #4 thru #8 what players might be available for Yzerman.

What I'm getting at is many GMs still seem somewhat reluctant in drafting a netminder in the top 10...Why not take one this year considering Wallstedt's upside and the other unknowns with regards to other forwards/defense?

Now if there was a clear legit #1 center, or Dman what was deemed generational - then by all means...I'm just suspect at what might be available when the Wings pick...As far as I know - we don't have any true #1 goalie prospect in our system - why not draft one this time around?

Edited by F.Michael

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Not trying to simplify things, and I'm going out on a limb here by saying this...

This uncertain draft class...Would you go for a guy who could be another Larkin or a guy who could be another Lundqvist - keep in mind I'm taking our wonderful lotto luck into consideration and at #4 thru #8 what players might be available for Yzerman.

What I'm getting at is many GMs still seem somewhat reluctant in drafting a netminder in the top 10...Why not take one this year considering Wallstedt's upside and the other unknowns with regards to other forwards/defense?

Because I don't think having an "elite" goalie really matters all that much. I probably wouldn't even draft a goalie in the top part of 1st round if there was some way of knowing FOR SURE that he'd be the next Price. Maybe with a late first rounder, but NEVER with a top pick. Goalies simply don't matter that much. Bernier is currently playing as well, or better, than every top goalie in the league and we got him for peanuts. Our goalie tandem, both free agents, are better than most goalie tandems in the league. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence that elite goaltending matters in this era. Maybe when Hasek was carrying s***ty Buffalo teams to the playoffs, but not now when the worst defensive team (Ottawa) and the best defensive team (Vegas) are separated by about 1.5 goals per game. What that tells me is that even non-elite goalies (and defenses) aren't THAT much worse than elite ones.

Pick the center or defenseman.

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Because I don't think having an "elite" goalie really matters all that much. I probably wouldn't even draft a goalie in the top part of 1st round if there was some way of knowing FOR SURE that he'd be the next Price. Maybe with a late first rounder, but NEVER with a top pick. Goalies simply don't matter that much. Bernier is currently playing as well, or better, than every top goalie in the league and we got him for peanuts. Our goalie tandem, both free agents, are better than most goalie tandems in the league. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence that elite goaltending matters in this era. Maybe when Hasek was carrying s***ty Buffalo teams to the playoffs, but not now when the worst defensive team (Ottawa) and the best defensive team (Vegas) are separated by about 1.5 goals per game. What that tells me is that even non-elite goalies (and defenses) aren't THAT much worse than elite ones.

Pick the center or defenseman.

Do you feel netminders can make the difference, or steal a round, or two in the playoffs?

Part of me still thinks they can.

9 minutes ago, Y19 said:

Rasmussen with the ENG to seal the win! Wings lead 4-1 late in the 3rd. :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Erne with the assist to keep his point streak going.

Really solid game!

And to think a significant portion of this roster is 21 to 26 years of age...These guys are in the range where for the next 3 to 5 years they'll grow/bond.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Erne with the assist to keep his point streak going.

Really solid game!

And to think a significant portion of this roster is 21 to 26 years of age...These guys are in the range where for the next 3 to 5 years they'll grow/bond.

Unless they get traded....lol sorry I had to ...