• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gniwder

4/22 - Good Guys v. Dirty Jim's Dallas Stars GDT @ The Pizza Palace 7:30 Pm EDT

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

4 goals

4 goal nights are so rare.  It's funny it was Dallas again (and so soon) and the irony of last year was Mantha is kinda funny too...Since the trade Vrana has a goal up on the big boy now.  Looks like it is indeed so far working out for both teams-not that this small sample size really means anything.  It is fun to see though

My main takeaway from Vrana's night was that he scored four goals in four different ways, which is what you have to be able to do if you're going to reach those 35+ goal totals. He sniped the first one, tipped the second, breakaway on the third, and jumped on a loose puck for the backhand on the 4th. This guy is not a one dimensional scorer, and that kind of offensively skill has been sore missed around here.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

My main takeaway from Vrana's night was that he scored four goals in four different ways, which is what you have to be able to do if you're going to reach those 35+ goal totals. He sniped the first one, tipped the second, breakaway on the third, and jumped on a loose puck for the backhand on the 4th. This guy is not a one dimensional scorer, and that kind of offensively skill has been sore missed around here.

Also shows what Zadina can do with some actual skilled linemates. 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Also shows what Zadina can do with some actual skilled linemates. 

Absolutely. I'm really liking our top wingers right now. Add those two to a pool of Bert, Raymond, Fabbri, and (possibly) Veleno and you've got some serious skill on the wings. Plus they're all pretty quick (aside from Fabbri) and gritty. We have the makings of one of the best forechecking teams in the league given that in Blashill's system the center is the third forward back.

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Absolutely. I'm really liking our top wingers right now. Add those two to a pool of Bert, Raymond, Fabbri, and (possibly) Veleno and you've got some serious skill on the wings. Plus they're all pretty quick (aside from Fabbri) and gritty. We have the makings of one of the best forechecking teams in the league given that in Blashill's system the center is the third forward back.

A quality piece up the middle and we are ready to get going.

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If we can get a nice playmaking center between Vrana and Zadina it'll be a hell of a line. That way Zadina will also have someone to set him up for goals. 

5 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

A quality piece up the middle and we are ready to get going.

Totally agree. This team looks an awful lot like how Tampa's team was built. Very good wingers, two way centers, big defensemen. Just missing the stud goalie and its pretty much the Tampa blueprint.

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

If we can get a nice playmaking center between Vrana and Zadina it'll be a hell of a line. That way Zadina will also have someone to set him up for goals. 

I made fun of some dude on The Athletic the other day for suggesting that Zadina and Vrana should be on the same line. Boy was I wrong. I'd love to see those two with a center like Chaz Lucius that can win draws at a high percentage and shoot the lights out. They'd be a terror in the offensive zone. And then leave Larkin, Bert, and Raymond to eat teams alive as a matchup line.

Edited by kipwinger

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that Rasmussen looks 2 or 3 times better now than he did 2 months ago. And I'm not taking flash-in-the-pan stuff. I'm talking skating, positional awareness, and his physical game (which was on full display last night). Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee like. 

9 hours ago, mackel said:

You're insufferable. 

And you're the janitor on a sinking ship. 

Also, YOU started this s***. 

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Totally agree. This team looks an awful lot like how Tampa's team was built. Very good wingers, two way centers, big defensemen. Just missing the stud goalie and its pretty much the Tampa blueprint.

I made fun of some dude on The Athletic the other day for suggesting that Zadina and Vrana should be on the same line. Boy was I wrong. I'd love to see those two with a center like Chaz Lucius that can win draws at a high percentage and shoot the lights out. They'd be a terror in the offensive zone. And then leave Larkin, Bert, and Raymond to eat teams alive as a matchup line.

That sounds absolutely lovely. Zadina has been setting dudes up all season. Glad Blash finally paired him with someone who can burry the chances. Now for him to get confidence back in his shot.

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that Rasmussen looks 2 or 3 times better now than he did 2 months ago. And I'm not taking flash-in-the-pan stuff. I'm talking skating, positional awareness, and his physical game (which was on full display last night). Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee like. 

Ras has been fantastic. Very excited to see what he does after another summer of working out.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I made fun of some dude on The Athletic the other day for suggesting that Zadina and Vrana should be on the same line. Boy was I wrong.

Right now I am feeling quite hopeful that these two are going to be really good for one another. With Vrana on the other side, it gets pretty dangerous for a defense to focus too much on Zadina. I think he will end up with a little more space to do this thing. I am looking forward to seeing Vrana setting up Zadina when the opportunity presents itself. He is definitely a scorer, but not a selfish one with no clue how to pass. Don't remember how Jakub phrased it exactly, but he described Zadina as someone who is a scorer. If he's willing and able to set up Filppula with a can't miss, then... :lol:

In the other direction, I don't think it will hurt Vrana's game to be watching Zadina hustling his ass off and playing defense every game. Hopefully in this environment he can improve that side of his game, not because he is being criticized, but because he gets inspired to show he can do it too. I was happy to hear Blash describe him as 'receptive to coaching'. He's still pretty young, so I for one am not counting it out.
Anyway, that's my pipe-dreaming for this morning, and I'm sticking with it unless and until proven wrong.

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

1.  I didn't bring him up you did.

2.  I also didn't point out every game he was dog s***...  which was all but a handful. 

22 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I (admittedly) have historically been on the side of having the "big" and "heavy" type North American players, well mostly in the past at least. I can remember a ton of arguments with former members (or ones with new names) about "Euro-players" etc... Thankfully (and unfortunately due to life events) over the last few years I have turned my attention to more things than Red Wings hockey and really have not gotten into that stuff anymore. That being said, I was and am a big Mantha fan, BUT I do believe that Vrana fits the style and player type that Yzerman is looking for to make this team a Cup contender again.  I am not saying players like Mantha are not needed, I am sure having one or two on a complete team would be great, but it was obvious that he wasn't liking it here or was just lazy at times and in the Yzerplan, if you do that, you are gone.  I am so glad this trade has worked out thus far, Mantha was a big fan favorite. Obviously Vrana isn't going to score 4 goals a game, he'll probably never do it again, but like Kip said, each one of his goals were of different styles and that shows there that he can be (or is) a better more dimensional scorer than Mantha. All in all, Yzerman "won" this trade moving forward. Obviously Washington "won" the trade for the NOW because they are in their window to win.

The only question now is "Who's next?" I guess if the right "hockey trade" knocks on the door, it could be anyone! (except Seider and Raymond of course.)

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I (admittedly) have historically been on the side of having the "big" and "heavy" type North American players, well mostly in the past at least. I can remember a ton of arguments with former members (or ones with new names) about "Euro-players" etc... Thankfully (and unfortunately due to life events) over the last few years I have turned my attention to more things than Red Wings hockey and really have not gotten into that stuff anymore. That being said, I was and am a big Mantha fan, BUT I do believe that Vrana fits the style and player type that Yzerman is looking for to make this team a Cup contender again.  I am not saying players like Mantha are not needed, I am sure having one or two on a complete team would be great, but it was obvious that he wasn't liking it here or was just lazy at times and in the Yzerplan, if you do that, you are gone.  I am so glad this trade has worked out thus far, Mantha was a big fan favorite. Obviously Vrana isn't going to score 4 goals a game, he'll probably never do it again, but like Kip said, each one of his goals were of different styles and that shows there that he can be (or is) a better more dimensional scorer than Mantha. All in all, Yzerman "won" this trade moving forward. Obviously Washington "won" the trade for the NOW because they are in their window to win.

The only question now is "Who's next?" I guess if the right "hockey trade" knocks on the door, it could be anyone! (except Seider and Raymond of course.)

We're kinda small upfront without Mantha. Rasmussen is by far the bigman now... with #2 and #3 being Panik and Svech of all players.