• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

2021 Buyout Thread

Rate this topic

Keep track of the buyouts here. Usually this is not a big deal, but with the flat cap still in place there may be a lot more than we're used to.

...so, does Yzerman use 1, 2 or none?

I know we're not strapped for Cap, but if he wants to provide a roster spot or 2, I'm saying he buys out Nielsen. 

He is buying out Nielsen. I am not even sure that's debatable. He is no longer a 2C, the biggest hole in the forward lineup. He makes way more than other forwards who can easily replace him. And there are guys like Svechnikov, Veleno, and Smith who need roster spots.

He gone.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He is buying out Nielsen. I am not even sure that's debatable. He is no longer a 2C, the biggest hole in the forward lineup. He makes way more than other forwards who can easily replace him. And there are guys like Svechnikov, Veleno, and Smith who need roster spots.

He gone.

A buyout saves Detroit $500000 in real money. Should be reason enough. 

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm betting Nielsen and Dekeyser.

Are we only alloted 2? Is there another window? I thought it had something to do with arbitration filings later...

you can have three buyouts. Problem is, when we buy out both, our three buyouts are used for two years(Abby´s still running 5 more years). Yzerman would never do that. That would rob us of Marleau/Carolina possibilities. Also there is no point really in buying out Nielsen or DDK. DDK might even give us a low pick at the TDL. To buy out Nielsen would, as @Akakabuto pointed out, save us $500k in real money, but that´s about it. The cap relief would be even slightly less as if we put him in the minors/taxi squad and we don´t need more cap space. At least we would keep an insurance guy in GR, who can teach some to the young guys, like Cleary did and just ride out his contract.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, LeftWinger said:

Has anyone been bought out yet? Sheesh, from the sound of the writers, I thought there'd be a bunch. When does the window close?

Nope, none that i've seen yet.

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm betting Nielsen and Dekeyser.

Are we only alloted 2? Is there another window? I thought it had something to do with arbitration filings later...

Makes absolutely no sense to buy out DeKeyser and Nielsen, if you want to open up spots for the youngsters just bury them in GR and let them mentor the kids there for 1 year. There's only another window if a player takes the team to salary arbitration.

Edited by diehardredwingsfan58

2 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Nope, none that i've seen yet.

Makes absolutely no sense to buy out DeKeyser and Nielsen, if you want to open up spots for the youngsters just bury them in GR and let them mentor the kids there for 1 year. There's only another window if a player takes the team to salary arbitration.

Well, to be fair, it made "absolutely no sense" to buy out Abdelkader last year either, and that happened... I think Nielsen will (should) be bought out. I don't think DeKeyser will be though.

DeKeyser isn't being bought out.

1.Unlike at forward, There arent really any kids knocking on the door to make the roster at D (except Mo). Especially down the left side.

2. Plus the Wings could lose another D in rhe expansion draft.

3. Also, Yzerman wasnt afraid to bury E in GR until his contract was up.

4. And finally, DD can still serve as a competent 3rd pair/depth defenseman.

Minnesota just bought out Parise AND Suter. Parise was obvious, but I'm pretty surprised about Suter. He was usually 1st or 2nd TOI in the playoffs has been pretty consistent.

Their contracts were identical so their buyouts look like this:
21-22: $2,371,794
22-23: $6,371,794
23-24: $7,371,794
24-25: $7,371,794
25-26: $833,333
26-27: $833,333
27-28: $833,333
28-27: $833,333

Man - I remember when these guys were the number #1 and #2 FA's that season. We had just lost Lidstrom and Stuart. I felt like it was a lock to get Suter and a chance at Parise too since we were still lacking some firepower. I thought it was a certainty one of these guys would've come to Detroit because I still thought of us as hockey royalty and we had the cap space.....

Then it comes out that Minnesota signs BOTH. I remember thinking.....who the f*** signs with Minnesota!?? How the hell could Holland be so inept to not be able to sway one of these guys to sign here over Minnesota??
They began touting how Minnesota was now a force to be reckoned with from here on forward. Then the contracts come out and I remember thinking even back then......these contracts are going to age so terribly. I completely understood why we lost the bidding war and I was happy for it. However, I STILL thought Minnesota was going to be a great team for awhile.

How did that turn out?

a total of 2 first round victories
5 first round exits
2 postseason misses.

Man....things did not turn out well.

Wings were on a downward trend at the time too. Not sure they would have fared much better in Detroit. Probably would have extended the streak, but delayed the inevitable rebuild. And SY would be weighed down by those contracts too and stuck with those cap penalties at time when teams need their cap space most: once they become competitive again.

Minny is doomed for a long time.