No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

7/23 GDT - 2021 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That pick is so messed up. 

Why?

She knew he took a photo. She just wasn't happy that he shared it.

It wasn't the act of taking the photo that was illegal, it was sharing it. Or, "distribution".

Really not that big of a deal. It was NOT rape. This is such an overblown "character issue".

Now what the Blackhawks have going on... lmfao@all the women standing in the background as Stan Bowman READS WITH HIS HEAD DOWN a thirty word publicity statement. He was so sincere, he couldn't even memorize the lines.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Having both Eklund and Raymond would've been awesome. But having both Edvinsson and Seider means we now have two potential cornerstone 1Ds. Which is kind of insane.

Gotta say I love a top four:

Johanson-Seider

Edvinsson-Hronek

1 minute ago, xault said:

Someone sell me on Cossa over Wallstedt, I'll be honest don't know much about him and the only goalie I really did much reading on was Wallstedt.

6’6, butterfly, works the angles well, can pass the puck for outlet passes, when going down shoulders are still at cross bar level.

Yzerman did well with Bishop and Vali…. No fear or anxiety with this pick 

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

So a forward at 38, a playmaker or finisher?

5 minutes ago, Rivalred said:

6’6, butterfly, works the angles well, can pass the puck for outlet passes, when going down shoulders are still at cross bar level.

Yzerman did well with Bishop and Vali…. No fear or anxiety with this pick 

So a forward at 38, a playmaker or finisher?

We need both haha, but I'd say playmaker gun to the head.

4 minutes ago, xault said:

We need both haha, but I'd say playmaker gun to the head.

Was hoping for a goalie or d in the last few drafts. Looking from the outside in, the Wings are finally addressing the lack of depth on the back end and in goal. The offense still needs a lot of work, I truly believe that can be resolved through trades and free agency - they need the right mix of guys and chemistry. 

While I will miss Mantha in some ways, he was too much of an enigma and do truly hope Vrana will fill that void well on some level. 

Ras continues to develop and his 3 year contract, we may as well replace Mantha as potential power forward. 

Edited by Rivalred

6 minutes ago, xault said:

Someone sell me on Cossa over Wallstedt, I'll be honest don't know much about him and the only goalie I really did much reading on was Wallstedt.

I know nothing about goalies, so Imma just defer to other people's takes. Here's NHL.com's:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-round-1-picks-analysis-coverage/c-325756734

Cossa.png

The Detroit Red Wings Have a Future Starting Goalie in Sebastian Cossa [The Hockey News]

“He’s one of those guys that you come down on him and instead of seeing the holes, you see the body,” a scout told The Hockey News for Draft Preview. “He’s just that big, and he really plays to his size. You have to beat him because he’s very structured and he doesn’t make problems for himself.”

Of course, you can't just expect a goalie to be good just because of his size. But he added a bit of mass to his game and covers the net so well, and as we saw once again in the WHL, he can be so challenging to beat. Cossa had a 17-1-1 record with a 1.57 GAA and .941 SV and was generally unstoppable for the Oil Kings. It's too bad the WHL didn't get a proper playoffs because Cossa was ready for the challenge.

There aren't a ton of downsides to his game – he's aggressive on his angles, but can easily get back into position with his quick feet. He sees around the net well and has a nice recovery for rebounds. He spends time training with pro goaltenders such as Carter Hart, and while they are fundamentally different goaltenders, being enshrined in the NHL culture with other top young netminders is definitely a bonus. 

It's been well-documented that Cossa had to overcome adversity to get to this point in his career. Cossa was 13 years old when the Fort McMurray fires displaced his family for three months. But it didn't stop him in his training process, and the hard work is ready to pay off.

"This guy works his behind off in a way very few goaltenders have," a Western scout said. "And then when he hits the ice, he's efficient in his movements and rarely gives up a bad goal. It's hard not to cheer for him."

Edited by Dabura

In the presser SY was asked a question about the offense and he went on a rant and listed all of our offensive players... the only one not mentioned ZADINA.

If Steve can't remember your name you're likely not too, too comfortable lol

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I would have preferred Eklund and Wallstedt, but definitely don't hate either of the picks. Eklund was my favorite player going into the draft, but I like Edvinsson. I'm not sold on Cossa. Would have liked any of the number of forwards available (some STILL available...). Like I said though, I completely trust Yzerman. 

What I’d like to know is what made the Wings go with Cossa over Wallstedt? What do they see in each prospect?

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Well I guess this sorta answers my question…

lol

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Edited by F.Michael

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

What I’d like to know is what made the Wings go with Cossa over Wallstedt? What do they see in each prospect?

Well I guess this sorta answers my question…

lol

May come down to size or limited scouting due to covid?

:yahoo:

Wow! I have to laugh! I'm glad I don't have alerts set up when I'm tagged! :lol:

Weird that I said maybe a trade and maybe Cossa. I got both! I'm still tired at 1:50. I get on the road at 2:20 to get the GR for work. I'll have to read through all this and check out who's left for our 2nd round. 

My hopes were Hughes or Edvinsson at 6 and Cossa at 22. Darth Yzerman must have felt a disturbance in the force and had to get Cossa earlier. So glad he's our GM.