• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

7/23 GDT - 2021 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I said it a few times in the long goalie debate this summer: Yzerman isn't afraid to address his net. Don't be surprised when he addresses it in a big way this year.

In Tampa he traded for Bishop, then immediately turned around and drafted Vasi high.
Now in Detroit's he's traded for Nedelijkovic, and immediately drafted Cossa high.

The sequence of moves are almost shockingly similar. He got Bishop in a robbery trade. He got Ned in a robbery trade. He drafted Vasi with a top20. He drafted Cossa with a top20.

Goalie: Done
Dmen: Done

Next step forwards

Edvinsson - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Wallinder - Viro

Ned
Cossa

Sebrango, Buium, Tuomisto, and McIsaac don't even have to make it...

The Ned trade was even more of a steal than Bishop. Bishop was given up on by St. Louis and didn't seem to be in Ottawa's long term plans. After the playoffs Nedeljkovic had, I thought for sure the starting spot was his to lose. Carolina had brought him along slowly since he was drafted, never pushed him too hard until they felt he was ready. They even protected him from Seattle. Everything pointed to Mrazek or Reimer leaving. The trade is such a shocking steal that I still can't see why Carolina would do it. They don't have anyone better in waiting.

9 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Ned was probably only protected because Mraz and Reimer were both UFAs. Sounds like they're releasing Reimer.

The excuse was the canes like to go cheap in net... but I don't see how you do that with a Mraz/Bern tandem. Bernie is probably gonna want $4 mil at this point and Mraz too...

Sure maybe you also prefer a reliable vet goalie, but I dont think that means you drop your young 2nd round calder ranked goalie for a 3rd lol

All true, guess they just do things differently in Carolina. Horrible asset management. Bernier still hasn't signed with them, and may not. lol

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Sebrango, Buium, Tuomisto, and McIsaac don't even have to make it...

This.

Like I was saying last night: Having Hronek, Seider, and Edvinsson means the "draft, draft, draft" chapter of the D rebuild is basically over. (Knock on wood.)

I mean, we're still gonna draft defensemen. But we now have two kids with legit 1D potential and a proven scoring defenseman in Hronek.

Now we can allow ourselves to think about adding a big-name guy like Werenski.

Edited by Dabura

Aatu Raty falls all the way to the 2nd day of the draft and is taken by the Islanders at 52. That same day he hangs 4 on Team Sweden at the World Junior Summer Showcase. Gotta be happy with that pick if you're the Islanders.

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Aatu Raty falls all the way to the 2nd day of the draft and is taken by the Islanders at 52. That same day he hangs 4 on Team Sweden at the World Junior Summer Showcase. Gotta be happy with that pick if you're the Islanders.

I ws really hoping he was the player we were trading up for at 36. Really didn't expect him to get out of the first round, let alone 52...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I ws really hoping he was the player we were trading up for at 36. Really didn't expect him to get out of the first round, let alone 52...

I was really befuddled by the Buium pick... especially considering we traded up to take him.  I was thinking Raty or another solid forward prospect still on the board.  Even after a bit of research I still don't understand that pick.

12 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Not sure it's been mentioned, but Buium and Tuomisto will likely be paired together at the U of Denver this year. It's a possibility these two form a pair together all the way into the NHL.

Also Mazur is heading to U of Denver with them

I'd say it's more likely that neither ever make the NHL...

I'm not as high on Tuomisto as others, but he doesn't exactly have a lot of competition on that right side (as of now). He basically just needs to beat out Lindstrom and maybe Berglund or Barton at this point. Buium on the other hand, needs to beat out three of Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder, Viro, McIsaac, Sebrango... That's why this pick was so puzzling to me. When we traded up, I thought for sure it was for a forward. I think any one of Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven (among others) would have been a much smarter pick in that spot. Buium could be a good depth guy, but if there's one area we're strong in terms of depth, it's LD. 

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd say it's more likely that neither ever make the NHL...

I'm not as high on Tuomisto as others, but he doesn't exactly have a lot of competition on that right side (as of now). He basically just needs to beat out Lindstrom and maybe Berglund or Barton at this point. Buium on the other hand, needs to beat out three of Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder, Viro, McIsaac, Sebrango... That's why this pick was so puzzling to me. When we traded up, I thought for sure it was for a forward. I think any one of Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven (among others) would have been a much smarter pick in that spot. Buium could be a good depth guy, but if there's one area we're strong in terms of depth, it's LD. 

So you're saying he should have drafted based on need....