• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scott R Lucidi

2022 Draft / UFA

Rate this topic

He's listed as a center but hasn't played there much on his last two teams. Columbus is STARVED for centers and they don't even play him there. I'm all for Yzerman going big on a real 2C. But Domi probably isn't the answer there.

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Lindholm - 6'4", solid defensively, Swedish

perfect fit for our team.

not going to happen with all the young d-men coming in. Anaheim has as much cap space as we have, so it would cost a fortune to lure him to Detroit.

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Max Domi. 26 yo UFA Center. 5.2 mil this season. 0.64 P/GP. Should Yzerman go big to fix the 2C problem?

go big with Max Domi....

If we are going to get a 2C option I would try get Vincent Trocheck. Carolina will have a hard time keeping him and we could keep him for 2-3 years as a stop gap until prospects are ready t take over

3 hours ago, ely s said:

not going to happen with all the young d-men coming in. Anaheim has as much cap space as we have, so it would cost a fortune to lure him to Detroit.

People talking about Lindholm is based on a report form The Fourth Period that Lindhiolm have decided to move on from Anaheim. 

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

People talking about Lindholm is based on a report form The Fourth Period that Lindhiolm have decided to move on from Anaheim. 

just read it, still believing it would cost a fortune. There is only one potential spender less then.

Here's what I'd do if I'm Yzerman (barring trades for similar type players):

Acquisitions/Promotions:

1. Push hard for Trocheck or Hertl. Trocheck is the local guy so that would be my preference (to help get a better deal) but either will do. Carolina is up against the cap and have a few decent players to re-sign, including Necas (who is essentially Trocheck's replacement as 2C). Hertl is almost certainly hitting free agency. Contract: 7.5 mil X 5 years

2. Sign Gustafsson and Kulak. Both are on dumpster fire teams and would both be getting top four minutes in Detroit. Overpay a little if necessary. Contract: 3 mil x 3 years

3. Sign Brayden Holtby. Good track record, bad year, bad team. Contract: 5 mil x 3 years.

4. Promote Berggren on ELC

5. Promote the better of McIsaac or Edvinsson: ELC

6. Promote Sodorblom: ELC

Total Money In: 18.5 mil (roughly)

Trades/FA losses:

Nemestnikov (trade at deadline): 2 mil

Gagner (UFA loss): 850K

Rowney (UFA loss): 825K

Leddy (trade): 5.5 mil

Dekeyser: 5 mil

Staal (trade/FA loss): 2 mil

Stetcher (trade): 1.7 mil

Greiss (FA loss): 3.5 mil

Total Money Out: 21 mil (roughly)

This leaves you about 14 mil over the cap. Sit on this money, the next offseason you have to re-sign Larkin, Bert, Suter, and (maybe) Lindstrom and Veleno.

Lineup:

Bert-Larkin-Raymond

Zadina-Trochek/Hertl-Vrana

Berggren-Suter-Fabbri

Veleno-Stephens-Ras

Sodorblom

Gustafsson-Seider

Kulak-Hronek

McIsaac/Edvinsson-Lindstrom

Oesterle

Ned

Holtby

Edited by kipwinger

34 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This leaves you about 14 mil over the cap.

Under, I hope.

I agree with your plan. LHD needs reinforcements bad and the 2C hole needs filling. If Stephen can’t get Trochek or Hertl, Copp could be a good(and cheaper) option. 

43 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Under, I hope.

I agree with your plan. LHD needs reinforcements bad and the 2C hole needs filling. If Stephen can’t get Trochek or Hertl, Copp could be a good(and cheaper) option. 

Id also consider re-signing Merrill too, if I couldn't get one or the other of Gustafsson or Kulak. Obviously he'd be cheaper than 3 mil.

I don't know a ton about Copp, but if I'm not mistaken he doesn't actually play center. He's like Filip Forsberg, he's listed as a C/W but has only ever played wing in the NHL if I'm not mistaken?

45 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Id also consider re-signing Merrill too, if I couldn't get one or the other of Gustafsson or Kulak. Obviously he'd be cheaper than 3 mil.

I don't know a ton about Copp, but if I'm not mistaken he doesn't actually play center. He's like Filip Forsberg, he's listed as a C/W but has only ever played wing in the NHL if I'm not mistaken?

Copp plays C and is a capable C IMO.

Last year in particular he played a ton of wing. But before that he was their 3C and he's back to playing C a lot this year. 

Copps time in Winnipeg has been weird. They've had x2 top 6 centers on top of him his entire career, even though he probably could easily be a 2C. So they used him as a 3C way longer than they probably should have. Eventually he made it too obvious that he's too good for the bottom 6 so they found him a spot at top 6 wing last year. 

I think the Jets really messed up not trading him sooner. They should have tried to address a different roster need with him in a trade instead of holding him back and forcing him to play wing. Now they'll lose him for nothing. 

Edited by bIueadams

2 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Copp plays C and is a capable C IMO.

Last year in particular he played a ton of wing. But before that he was their 3C and he's back to playing C a lot this year. 

Copps time in Winnipeg has been weird. They've had x2 top 6 centers on top of him his entire career, even though he probably could easily be a 2C. So they used him as a 3C way longer than they probably should have. Eventually he made it too obvious that he's too good for the bottom 6 so they found him a spot at top 6 wing last year. 

I think the Jets really messed up not trading him sooner. They should have tried to address a different roster need with him in a trade instead of holding him back and forcing him to play wing. 

I'll take your word for it, again, I don't know much about the guy. I mean, is he that much better than Suter? I guess I don't see it. His best career offensive season was last year, and you're saying that was primarily on the wing? I'd really like someone with solid offensive chops.

I think to move us into legit contender status I'd want a 2C closer to Larkin than Suter. Hence Trocheck/Hertl. I guess maybe Copp as a 3rd option, but I'm not excited about it (admittedly with limited familiarity with his game).

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'll take your word for it, again, I don't know much about the guy. I mean, is he that much better than Suter? I guess I don't see it. His best career offensive season was last year, and you're saying that was primarily on the wing? I'd really like someone with solid offensive chops.

I think to move us into legit contender status I'd want a 2C closer to Larkin than Suter. Hence Trocheck/Hertl. I guess maybe Copp as a 3rd option, but I'm not excited about it (admittedly with limited familiarity with his game).

Copp was hot out the gate this year. Slowed down after Christmas. IDK why.

Copp is Sheahans former ceiling realized IMO. Thick strong centerman who skates decent and plays both ends of the ice well.

I'm not like all about him. But Larks and Mich connection have me interested. 

3 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Copp was hot out the gate this year. Slowed down after Christmas. IDK why.

Copp is Sheahans former ceiling realized IMO. Thick strong centerman who skates decent and plays both ends of the ice well.

I'm not like all about him. But Larks and Mich connection have me interested. 

Maybe he’s a Brayden Schenn looking for a St. Louis. I’d at least kick the tires.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Maybe he’s a Brayden Schenn looking for a St. Louis. I’d at least kick the tires.

Yeah B Schenn is a good comparable I'd say

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Maybe they are kicking tires?

Interesting.

They're losing Statsny this year, and his entire salary will go to PLD's raise and other RFA's. They have no money to give Copp and will probably sell him at this deadline.

I'm really not into picking up pending UFA's. A 50-60 point, soon to be 28 year old centermen, will cost us an arm and a leg too. But he's from Ann Arbor, seems to be really loyal to the Jets taking bridge deals and being a good soldier on the 3rd line, and has played at UofM with Larkin in the past. We also have a whole at 2C where he wants to be, and all the pizza riches to pay him with. If there's anyone we could convince to extend here it's probably him. This is the exact type balls to the wall swing I could see Yzerman taking too.

I assume Jets will want cost controlled, ready to play, prospects since they're in win now (next year) mode.

Copp for Zadina/Veleno + whatever gets it done

On 2/23/2022 at 12:23 AM, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Lambert would be sweet, Hoping he falls to our spot.

McKenzie has him at 11. He has Geekie at 10. If we stay at or around 10, this will be a tough choice for me. I'd be happy with either, but would prefer one of them to be gone so I wouldn't have to choose!

BTW, Nice!

Edited by LeftWinger

10 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

McKenzie has him at 11. He has Geekie at 10. If we stay at or around 10, this will be a tough choice for me. I'd be happy with either, but would prefer one of them to be gone so I wouldn't have to choose!

BTW, Nice!

image.png.ba0800551a79037aadf42616edf5ce42.png

I was thinking the exact same thing, I'd be ecstatic if we get either Geekie or Lambert.