• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

SIGNED: Pius Suter 2 years $3.25M AAV

Rate this topic

So, anecdotally... ~60% of the Chicago fan takes I've seen = "WTF. No. Dude can play. Good center. We should've kept him."

His shooting percentage (12.5) may (not) be sustainable. He wasn't great on faceoffs this past season (42.6%). His possession stats aren't particularly good.

But, all things considered, this is a low-risk, high-reward signing. I like it.

Edited by Dabura

2 hours ago, blueadams said:

Second line center, right?  Makes Ras and Veleno our probable 3rd and 4th line centers?  I'm asking.. because I know next to nothing about Suter and haven't seen him play.

Ras and Namestnikov will be on the 3rd line. Gagner or Nielsen will center the 4th. Veleno probably starts in GR.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, blueadams said:

I sure hope Veleno's starts off as our 4th line C.  Why the hell not?

He doesnt belong on the 4th line. Very little playing time there. Poor development strategy for a guy who is supposed to be a middle 6 forward. If he isnt going to play in the top 9, then its better to keep him in GR in the top 6 until there's a spot on the roster for him where he belongs.

He will likely play left wing when he is brought up anyway.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He doesnt belong on the 4th line. Very little playing time there. Poor development strategy for a guy who is supposed to be a middle 6 forward. If he isnt going to play in the top 9, then its better to keep him in GR in the top 6 until there's a spot on the roster for him where he belongs.

He will likely play left wing when he is brought up anyway.

I completely agree. I want Veleno up with the Wings, and I think there's a strong chance he will be. However, if there's no room in the top 9, he absolutely should be playing top line minutes in Grand Rapids. Which might not be the worst thing, especially if he plays on a line with Raymond and / or Berggren.

He played center in his short 5 game stint at the end of last season. I don't see any reason to believe he wouldn't do the same going forward. 

I imagine Veleno coming up as third line center at first, with a veteran who knows the center position on one of his wings to help his development. Could be part of why we re-signed Gagner. Or Namestnikov could be that guy. Plenty of mentor options for him. Loving our mixture of young guys and not too old vets right now. Rosters in a very solid spot for the upswing of a rebuild imo. 

2 hours ago, amato said:

I imagine Veleno coming up as third line center at first, with a veteran who knows the center position on one of his wings to help his development. Could be part of why we re-signed Gagner. Or Namestnikov could be that guy. Plenty of mentor options for him. Loving our mixture of young guys and not too old vets right now. Rosters in a very solid spot for the upswing of a rebuild imo. 

That would be ideal, but may not be possible. If Bert remains on the roster, then your top 6 is Larkin, Zadina, Bert, Vrana, Fabbri, and Suter. If Veleno gets dropped to the 3rd, then his linemates would likely be Namestnikov and Ras. Not sure playing 2 rookies on the same line is a good idea.

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I dig it.

I am underwhelmed.

Since the end of last season Yzerman has done nothing but gush about how good Michael Rasmussen was, especially after Larkin's injury. Safe bet he's holding down one of the top two center spots. Larkin too. Suter was just signed and seems like he'll at least get a shot there, though I'm assuming he's going to need sheltered given the defensive demands of Blashill's system. Gagner seems like a lock to take Glendening's old spot. My best guess:

Larkin

Rasmussen

Suter

Gagner

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Since the end of last season Yzerman has done nothing but gush about how good Michael Rasmussen was, especially after Larkin's injury. Safe bet he's holding down one of the top two center spots. Larkin too. Suter was just signed and seems like he'll at least get a shot there, though I'm assuming he's going to need sheltered given the defensive demands of Blashill's system. Gagner seems like a lock to take Glendening's old spot. My best guess:

Larkin

Rasmussen

Suter

Gagner

I would be very happy with this. I just don't have that level of enthusiasm for Ras. Could end up playing wing to start.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I would be very happy with this. I just don't have that level of enthusiasm for Ras. Could end up playing wing to start.

Again, Yzerman himself has repeatedly discussed how happy he was with Rasmussen at center. Blashill too. I see no reason why he'd start on the wing given that every decision maker in the organization likes his play at center.

If it were me I'd put him with two defensively responsible wingers (Bert, Zadina) and let them take some of the harder minutes and while Larkin (with Vrana and Veleno) get a little more offensive zone time.

Veleno-Larkin-Vrana

Bert-Ras-Zadina

Namestnikov-Suter-Fabbri

Erne-Gagner-Smith/Pearson

Edited by kipwinger

40 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That would be ideal, but may not be possible. If Bert remains on the roster, then your top 6 is Larkin, Zadina, Bert, Vrana, Fabbri, and Suter. If Veleno gets dropped to the 3rd, then his linemates would likely be Namestnikov and Ras. Not sure playing 2 rookies on the same line is a good idea.

I am underwhelmed.

That's the exact line I had in mind (Or Gagner if Namestnikov is fourth line center).

Rasmussen is not a rookie anymore. He's over 100 games played at this point. He is young though, for sure; and while I do understand your point, I think pairing him and Veleno with a vet will be great for them and their development. They could learn a lot, and third line minutes can be planned out against weaker opponents lines to "shelter" them some.

There will be mistakes and growing pains, I'm sure. But we can afford that at this point in time. Not saying it'd be a season long line or anything (few really are with blash running things), but it seems like a solid starting point for Veleno if he proves he's ready for the NHL through camp and preseason. 

21 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Again, Yzerman himself has repeatedly discussed how happy he was with Rasmussen at center. Blashill too. I see no reason why he'd start on the wing given that every decision maker in the organization likes his play at center.

If it were me I'd put him with two defensively responsible wingers (Bert, Zadina) and let them take some of the harder minutes and while Larkin (with Vrana and Veleno) get a little more offensive zone time.

Veleno-Larkin-Vrana

Bert-Ras-Zadina

Namestnikov-Suter-Fabbri

Erne-Gagner-Smith/Pearson

I also like this plan but would rather Veleno and Fabbri switch spots, then put Veleno at center on that third line. Obviously camp and such will give us a better indication of who will be at center. But it feels great to have some depth and options behind Larkin.