• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Training Camp, PTO's, Pre-Season Chat

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I take this back. I didn't realize he has to completely isolate from the team per NHL rules.

IMO this does the exact opposite for his likelihood of being traded... sinks his value. No one is going to want to add that to their dynamic. Bertuzzi heard his name on the block and refused to vax to sink his trade value. 4D chess!

Exactly. No Canadian team will want him. The Atlantic and Pacific both have 3 Canadian teams, so those divisions are probably no-gos too. That leaves the Central (minus Winnipeg) and the Metro. Yzerman would get little value back even if he could find a trade partner.

Just now, BarkBurgerman said:

I don't think he's a hero. Braver than me fersure. I already caved and got the poke for my job. And I would've just caved in his position too without a doubt.

Giving up 400K in earnings and putting your status with your team and in the league on the line ain't no joke.

His survival rate for Covid as a soon to be 27 year old (healthy with no other conditions) is 99.9924% per the CDC. Not something he needs to take to continue living a healthy life. He's putting caution above money. Admirable IMO, but not something I could afford to do with work.  

It's not about his survival rate. Novax peeps can carry longer, have higher viral loads, more likely to spread because of this. I mean that's what they say. 

Also, his wife/gf is very much preggo. I don't think I'd fudge around if I were him. 

No one wants the vax. Yet plenty of healthy people step up and take one for the team. 

5 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Wings get to rest Bertuzzi and save money during this. They're not paying him for what he misses. And it's not like this is a playoff year. What's the issue other than him having a minority opinion on a controversial health topic?

Yeah and now he's fersure toast right?

Why isnt bertuzzi  playing in preseason I havent seen him at all?? Sorry thought I'd randomly ask u lol

2 minutes ago, Lgrws9119 said:

Why isnt bertuzzi  playing in preseason I havent seen him at all?? Sorry thought I'd randomly ask u lol

I read somewhere Bert is still 'recovering' from his back surgery and the team isn't going to rush him.

I suspect he'll still get in a few pre-season games.

Game notes through 35:

Z is not playing like he will be a top liner. He is out of position far too much and he just can't play at a high speed.

Raymond belongs. The speed and vision and thinking is top notch. He needs to stay off his backside though. Definitely needs to get stronger.

Veleno is impressive tonight. D awareness and forechecking have been really good. 

Greissy has been out of position regularly. 

Fabrri is playing fast.

We are in trouble if DeKeyser is on the top line.

Bobby Ryan wants to make the F'ing team.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Okay, Raymond is f*cking awesome. Dude is suuuuuuper slick. 

Agreed. He and Seider. I was nearly hyperventilating by the end of the 2nd period. 

Seriously. How can they send Raymond to GRs? By no metric should this be a defensible move. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

I’m also pretty impressed by Tutyayev. Very shifty and thinks one step ahead. Got a little Danny Briere in his game. 

Zadina sucks. Veleno sucks. Trade them for Jack Eichel now. 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Agreed. He and Seider. I was nearly hyperventilating by the end of the 2nd period. 

Seriously. How can they send Raymond to GRs? By no metric should this be a defensible move. 

Agreed, he’s pretty obviously the best forward we have on the team right now.

Also, do we have a good power play now? Kinda seems like it.

2 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Then who's survival rate is it about? If the vax works then his vaxed teammates should be A-OK. It is Bertuzzi who should be worried, and he's clearly not. And even if his teammates are worried, the survival rate for everyone on the team is above 99.97%, assuming we don't have any diabetics, smokers, obese Howards, or someone with some strange underlying condition like Marco Rossi had.

I've read the exact opposite here. Vaxed carriers carry a higher viral load if infected and carrying. But I would need to go digging for research again before I'm 100 on that.

And infected no vax peeps should be quarantined. Shouldn't matter how long they carry until they test negative.

On the flipside, this might be the exact reason his wife and he are unvaxxed. Doesn't want his child receiving an experimental vaccine. I mean just to be clear... we do all agree this thing is experimental correct?

Sure, but this argument is bandwagon fallacy.

I'm not gonna throw all my investments in an experimental startup company with promises of 0.003% gains because everyone is doing it, that investment looks down right moronic considering what I have to gain and risk from it. Just like I shouldn't be taking experimental vaccines to combat something that poses at best a 0.003% threat to me just because everyone is doing it.

I maintain that at-risk groups should certainly be considering the vaccine, but for others it this all looks absolutely silly. It's not saving your health in any significant way, and it's improving spread from asymptomatic carriers who have no idea now they're spreading it. Literally the only reason I have mine is because of governmental restriction of travel... I've been coerced into taking something I don't want by governments restrictions. Nice.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid-vaccines-idUSL1N2M70MW

Again, these are just one-game assessments based on last night, but Veleno was our best forechecker and really played well defensively. His positioning was solid and didn't overplay his role. If he could improve his faceoff ability, it would help tremendously.  It seemed every time he was in the circle, he had to immediately show that defensive edge.

Zadina just doesn't have it. Whereas Raymond is thinking about his next decision before he even gets the puck, Zadina always needs an extra half second to try to gain puck control (or let it bounce over his stick anyway). He was just a momentum killer yesterday when it came to puck movement. It always allowed the D and the goalie to get back into position. I just don't see how he elevates his game to first line on a great team.

Raymond is so fast with his feet, his stick, and his playmaking. Makes me worried for longevity when a guy relies on his speed over positioning on defense, so I hope he develops that aspect of his game over the next couple years. But his IQ and vision are absolutely outstanding  He tried to get too cute in the last 6 minutes with some between the legs passes that resulted in a loss of possession and movement and then a turnover. Hopefully it comes with age.

Btw, he won his only faceoff against a legitimate center, in case folks were wondering about his ability at the pivot long term.... ;)

Edited by _SP_

45 minutes ago, _SP_ said:

Again, these are just one-game assessments based on last night, but Veleno was our best forechecker and really played well defensively. His positioning was solid and didn't overplay his role. If he could improve his faceoff ability, it would help tremendously.  It seemed every time he was in the circle, he had to immediately show that defensive edge.

Zadina just doesn't have it. Whereas Raymond is thinking about his next decision before he even gets the puck, Zadina always needs an extra half second to try to gain puck control (or let it bounce over his stick anyway). He was just a momentum killer yesterday when it came to puck movement. It always allowed the D and the goalie to get back into position. I just don't see how he elevates his game to first line on a great team.

Raymond is so fast with his feet, his stick, and his playmaking. Makes me worried for longevity when a guy relies on his speed over positioning on defense, so I hope he develops that aspect of his game over the next couple years. But his IQ and vision are absolutely outstanding  He tried to get too cute in the last 6 minutes with some between the legs passes that resulted in a loss of possession and movement and then a turnover. Hopefully it comes with age.

Btw, he won his only faceoff against a legitimate center, in case folks were wondering about his ability at the pivot long term.... ;)

I guess it depends on what they want Raymond to be: a scoring winger (which she has proven he is capable of) or a more well rounded center. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I guess it depends on what they want Raymond to be: a scoring winger (which she has proven he is capable of) or a more well rounded center. 

I'd prefer to see him stay where he's at on wing and get some experience/confidence.

He's another Kane/Marner type winger.

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Assuming Ryan, Raymond, and Seider make the roster, Veleno goes to the AHL, and Vrana starts the year on IR. We have to cut a player. Assume we just waive Rowney and run 13 forwards?

I think Yzerman said at the beginning of camp that they were going to start the season with 12 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

58 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I think Yzerman said at the beginning of camp that they were going to start the season with 12 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

Wouldnt that make the roster one man short?

Maybe they dont want people sitting. 

2 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Ryan, Raymond

I dont think we can assume both of them making the roster. If Raymond wins a spot it’ll be Ryans loss, I think. 

Rowney and Stephens are Velenos to grab a spot from. 

34 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I just don't think we cut Ryan at this point. He's played well and he'll be a good stop gap in the top 6 for Vrana and other injuries to come. Even for when Tuzzi has to sit in Canada.

The chopping block order for me is:

1. Veleno (purely bc he avoids waivers)
2. Rowney or Gagner
3. Smith or Stephens

Oh, yeah, forgot about Gagner. Him and Ryan should definitely be in competition for a spot me thinks.

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

nah.  some arenas dont have the vacancy.

I'm not buying that. There's 31 teams, there's no reason some teams play 4 games and some get double that. It doesn't even give teams a chance to test their prospects 

22 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

I'm not buying that. There's 31 teams, there's no reason some teams play 4 games and some get double that. It doesn't even give teams a chance to test their prospects 

32 teams now.

6 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I just don't think we cut Ryan at this point. He's played well and he'll be a good stop gap in the top 6 for Vrana and other injuries to come. Even for when Tuzzi has to sit in Canada.

The chopping block order for me is:

1. Veleno (purely bc he avoids waivers)
2. Rowney or Gagner
3. Smith or Stephens

Rowney should be in GR. Smith won't be sent down because of waivers. SY didn't sign Gagner or Stephens to play in GR. Veleno is going down if Ryan and Raymond are both on the roster.