• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Training Camp, PTO's, Pre-Season Chat

Rate this topic

Seattle claims Alex Barre-Belout. I am really sick of these expansion teams getting pampered. My God, look at Vegas, and now Seattle getting quality players when they don't deserve it. These teams need to go through the same sh!t the other expansion teams had to endure.

Seems like Raymond and Veleno are here. But that leaves 15 FWDS, 14 with Vrana IR, one player must get the ax. Who will it be today?

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Kyle Turris on waivers. Beat out for a spot by Brendan Perlini lmao. 

Renouf, Witkowski, Barber, and Hirose on waivers. Guess Veleno and Smith are making the team. 

Red Wings Facebook announced that Veleno was sent down.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In what world does Carter Rowney earn a spot over Bobby Ryan or Joe Veleno?

His spot is gonna be somewhere up here on most nights.

TrexCommercial_Aluminum_Arena_Handrail-1

Bobby lost his spot to Raymond and he doesn't PK so no room for him in the bottom six. Apparently Frau Blashill didn't think Veleno earned a spot over Namestnikov or Gagner.

18 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Bobby lost his spot to Raymond and he doesn't PK so no room for him in the bottom six. Apparently Frau Blashill didn't think Veleno earned a spot over Namestnikov or Gagner.

His wife must have approved of Raymond after all

18 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Even with Raymond, he could have been given a spot on the 2nd line with Suter and Zadina or on the 3rd line with Ras and Erne. Considering Vrana is out for most of the season and Bert will have to miss some games, it makes more sense to me to keep the offense.

39 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

His wife must have approved of Raymond after all

Now we know where he goes for personnel decisions.

39 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I don't think you can say Ryan didn't fit on this team. He was better than all of our third liners and some 2nd liners.

My guess is Ryan no longer wanted a $1 mil 1 year try me contract. He did that last year to prove he can still play - and he's at this point proved he can still play. My guess is this wasn't a rejection from Blashill, it was a rejection from Yzerman. As Ryan's salary demands probably started creeping into the $2-3 million range and multiple years.

You'd think, if this were the case, that everyone's cards would be on the table before preseason even began. 

edit: unless Yzerman never had any intention of signing Ryan at all and was just using him a competition for Raymond,.....

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You'd think, if this were the case, that everyone's cards would be on the table before preseason even began. 

edit: unless Yzerman never had any intention of signing Ryan at all and was just using him a competition for Raymond,.....

I don´t think it was money or term related, with Vrana out he was an option, but with Raymond´s strong play he was the odd man out.

Don't you use all players as competition against the others? LOL.  That is not a slight, guys.  Of course he was competition for Raymond.  And every other player on the roster this pre-season.  

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Raymond in G.R. with Veleno from a long-term roster building standpoint. However, from a team building standpoint, at some point you have to look at the guys on the roster now and tell them that their desire to win means something and you're willing to support that. You don't want to lose the locker room because you resolved to losing. 

59 minutes ago, _SP_ said:

Don't you use all players as competition against the others? LOL.  That is not a slight, guys.  Of course he was competition for Raymond.  And every other player on the roster this pre-season.  

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Raymond in G.R. with Veleno from a long-term roster building standpoint. However, from a team building standpoint, at some point you have to look at the guys on the roster now and tell them that their desire to win means something and you're willing to support that. You don't want to lose the locker room because you resolved to losing. 

LOL if you think Raymond's game would develop better playing with an offensively brain dead, future NHL bottom 6 player in GRs vs on Larkin's wing right now in the NHL

Raymond has absolutely nothing to benefit from playing in the AHL. Veleno on the other hand.......

Also, in reference to the bold, I highly doubt Raymond was competing for a roster spot against Smith, Stephens, Erne, Namestnikov, Rowney, etc. Ya fudge my drift? 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

LOL if you think Raymond's game would develop better playing with an offensively brain dead, future NHL bottom 6 player in GRs vs on Larkin's wing right now in the NHL

Raymond has absolutely nothing to benefit from playing in the AHL. Veleno on the other hand.......

Also, in reference to the bold, I highly doubt Raymond was competing for a roster spot against Smith, Stephens, Erne, Namestnikov, Rowney, etc. Ya fudge my drift? 

Roster-building. I.E. use of waivers, contract postponement, etc. I specifically indicated I wasn't talking about this year.

So you don't think someone who completes ishes the bed could find himself sent down, simply because they're competing for different roles? Interesting.

I guarantee you all the players you listed would find themselves higher on the depth chart if Raymond didn't perform. They are ALL competing. Nothing gets handed to you at the professional level. 

2 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

It's obviously a combination of a buncha things. And it's not as simple as Raymond v. Ryan.

We have a 23 man roster right now WITH Vrana on IR and Veleno in GR. You sign Ryan and we have to waive Carter Rowney or send down one of Seider/Zadina/Raymond. I know it seems easy to us to just lol waive Rowney... but that's kinda a huge ass move on our part. Just promised the guy to a 1-way Wings commitment and we screw him by sending him to the minors bc Ryan couldn't find a contract elsewhere? I put myself in Rowney's shoes and I'd be Mike Commodore level mad. That's a career killing move for a guy like Rowney who literally hasn't even had a chance to prove himself for us yet.

Does Yzerman regret signing Rowney now that Ryan came back to us? Maybe. Does he prefer to have another reliable bottom 6 center on the team overing an aging vet winger? Maybe. But I think regardless it's only fair to the guys with contracts that you stick to the commitments you made to them, especially at this point of the (pre)season.

Plus it doesn't look like smart management to sign a guy like Rowney to a 1-way contact then immediately sink him into the AHL. Effectively pissing away 700K of the owners money... and it makes even less sense when you consider that literally all of Barber, Hirose, Veleno, Pearson, Witkowski, and Berggren are knocking on the door ready to come up.

TLDR: Signing Ryan forces moves that are bad management and pisses off players.

But in that sense it really was Ray v. Ryan in a way. If Raymond doesn't make it then Ryan does have a spot with Vrana out. Not so much a both competing for top6 thing... but just the availability of a roster spot in general.

Yes I realize I've backed off the Ryan's contract angle.

Team is carrying 8 D. Could have waived DeKeyser and added Ryan. DeKeyser would not have been claimed. And it would have been before he was given the "A", so it wouldn't be a Dick move. If he can send down Ericcson (who was here longer) SY can send down DD.

54 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

It's obviously a combination of a buncha things. And it's not as simple as Raymond v. Ryan.

We have a 23 man roster right now WITH Vrana on IR and Veleno in GR. You sign Ryan and we have to waive Carter Rowney or send down one of Seider/Zadina/Raymond. I know it seems easy to us to just lol waive Rowney... but that's kinda a huge ass move on our part. Just promised the guy to a 1-way Wings commitment and we screw him by sending him to the minors bc Ryan couldn't find a contract elsewhere? I put myself in Rowney's shoes and I'd be Mike Commodore level mad. That's a career killing move for a guy like Rowney who literally hasn't even had a chance to prove himself for us yet.

Does Yzerman regret signing Rowney now that Ryan came back to us? Maybe. Does he prefer to have another reliable bottom 6 center on the team over an aging vet winger? Maybe. But I think regardless it's only fair to the guys with contracts that you stick to the commitments you made to them, especially at this point of the (pre)season.

Plus it doesn't look like smart management to sign a guy like Rowney to a 1-way contact then immediately sink him into the AHL. Effectively pissing away 700K of the owners money... and it makes even less sense when you consider that literally all of Barber, Hirose, Veleno, Pearson, Witkowski, and Berggren are knocking on the door ready to come up.

TLDR: Signing Ryan forces moves that are bad management and pisses off players.

But in that sense it really was Ray v. Ryan in a way. If Raymond doesn't make it then Ryan does have a spot with Vrana out. Not so much a both competing for top6 thing... but just the availability of a roster spot in general.

Yes I realize I've backed off the Ryan's contract angle.

waive Namestnikov :lol: