• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings3:16

Cholowski Waived by Seattle

Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

Pretty interesting turn of events. Does any team claim him?

I think this is then end of the NHL line for Cholo... left exposed by one of the leagues worst teams, claimed and subsequently waived by an expansion team.  Looks like an AHL/KHL/European league career ahead.

He's 2 years ahead of Zadina on the road to 1st round bust.

4 minutes ago, mackel said:

I think this is then end of the NHL line for Cholo... left exposed by one of the leagues worst teams, claimed and subsequently waived by an expansion team.  Looks like an AHL/KHL/European league career ahead.

He's 2 years ahead of Zadina on the road to 1st round bust.

1. Seattle has a better overall D core than at least half the NHL

2. Zadina's career trajectory to this point is not comparable to Cholowski's at all. 

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

1. Irrelevant 

2. Yup sure is.

1. You said 

15 minutes ago, mackel said:

left exposed by one of the leagues worst teams

as if he got cut by some team with a basement D-core. So my comment was very much relevant. 

2. I look forward to your retirement :lol:

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Well the Caps do need Dmen bad!

Fehervary (rookie 2nd rounder) - John Carlson
Dimitri Orlov - Nick Jensen
Trevor VReamsdikes - Justin Schultz
Matt Irwin

Wait till they find out Matt Irwin is better

Headed to Caps HF boards for a while

That's not a bad D corp tho.

5 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Well they have about x3 top4 Dman on the squad between Carlson, Orlov, and Schultz. And I'd consider Schultz a low end top4, IDK about you.

Maybe Fehervary can fill that last spot? He's a 22 year old rookie.

If Orlov or Carlson go down with an injury their D is gonna be immediate trash.

TVR and Jensen as your 3rd pair? That's good depth.

9 hours ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Sure. I think TVR and Jensen are high end 3rd pairing guys. Just not top4 guys. I wouldn't want my team having to play Jensen 21 minutes a night. But that's what the Caps had to do in their season opener.

They were real bitter about losing Brendan Dillon in the offseason. They don't have much quality depth after Carlson and Orlov right now.

Cholo is a leftside Dman, which they need. Can he beat out Matt Irwin for the 6/7 spot? I honestly don't think so. Irwin's a pretty reliable bottom pair shutdown Dman who plays really physical. A gamer. Pretty much the polar opposite of Cholo.

Cholo will have to be seriously sheltered with them to be successful. My guess is Alexeyev pushes him out of a spot their though pretty soon.

Cholo will be their Bowey replacement, a player with a bag full of tools and no clue how to use them...

After being picked up and sitting as a healthy scratch for 15+ games with the Caps, Cholo has played 4 games as the #6 Dman, scored no points and went -4. He's scratched again.

Edited by bIueadams

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

After being picked up and sitting as a healthy scratch for 15+ games with the Caps, Cholo has played 4 games as the #6 Dman, scored no points and went -4. He's scratched again.

I dont see the harm of having him in GR.  If he stays wimpy, he's acheap AHLer.  If he chad juices, he gets our 6/7 spot.

Yeah, I agree with Jonas. I'll tell you, though, it really comes down to attitude and intelligence. Is he just not understanding the play and his role?  Is he disregarding responsibility? Or is the caliber of his talent just not high enough to be an NHL regular?

if it is the latter, I would be okay with bringing back for Grand Rapids.  But if it is either of the former, then I am NOT a fan of bringing him in.  

The calculus really isn't that complicated. NHL coaches HATE getting scored on. They talk about it all the time. How many times have you heard coaches say something like "you can't outscore your mistakes" or "If you're bad defensively you have to score a lot to balance it out" or the like? Even the best defensemen rarely score enough to warrant a spot on the lineup if they're getting torched all the time. Now imagine how much worse it is for a depth defenseman like Cholo? He played 4 games, was on the ice for 4 goals against, and at 13 mins a night and no special teams play he has almost no chance of making up for those points.

35 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The calculus really isn't that complicated. NHL coaches HATE getting scored on. They talk about it all the time. How many times have you heard coaches say something like "you can't outscore your mistakes" or "If you're bad defensively you have to score a lot to balance it out" or the like? Even the best defensemen rarely score enough to warrant a spot on the lineup if they're getting torched all the time. Now imagine how much worse it is for a depth defenseman like Cholo? He played 4 games, was on the ice for 4 goals against, and at 13 mins a night and no special teams play he has almost no chance of making up for those points.

Then they must really hate Jakob Chychrun is Arizona right now........

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Then they must really hate Jakob Chychrun is Arizona right now........

I have noticed some cooling of jets as far as Chychrun goes. Though I would note that getting torched playing in Arizona and getting torched playing in Washington probably have very different root causes. But a year or two ago Chychrun was an analytics darling and people were laughing Ken Holland out of the building for that trade. Now I think he and Hronek have leveled out a bit.