• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You dont think Zadina is worth keeping at ANY price?  Lets get down to brass tax.  If he signs for 1.25 mil per for 4 years, are you unhappy?

I would be annoyed if we signed a guy who has done jack sh*t in his career to a 4 year contract. I'd look to package him in a trade this offseason, and if nothing materializes I'd give him a 1 year "prove it" contract for roughly the amount of money you've mentioned; which A) doesn't saddle you if he continues to suck, B) gives him an opportunity to improve, and B) is tradable at the deadline if he's "meh".

And I'm going to mentioned again (for the zillionth time) that I'd astounded that fans are acting like "what to do with Filip Zadina" is some big existential question for Steve Yzerman. If this guy had the EXACT same career so far, but was drafted in the 2nd round he'd be Tomas Jurco and nobody would give a sh*t about him or what happened to him.

52 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You dont think Zadina is worth keeping at ANY price?  Lets get down to brass tax.  If he signs for 1.25 mil per for 4 years, are you unhappy?

The expression is brass "tacks".

Another side note: Ras is also a much bigger player, and was lanky and not a strong skater when he was drafted. It can take a while for the bigger players to develop physically too.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The expression is brass "tacks".

Another side note: Ras is also a much bigger player, and was lanky and not a strong skater when he was drafted. It can take a while for the bigger players to develop physically too.

Cool.  Thanks.  Never knew that.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Yes Ras was better a year ago too. Throughout his NHL career Ras has CONSTANTLY been asked to do more, and harder, things things for this team and has still produced about as well as Zadina. First, he played in the NHL at 19 because he was too good for the CHL and couldn't play in the AHL (being a Euro on loan, Zadina played in the AHL at 19 like he should have). Then Ras was asked to be a defensive center despite only ever being a top line scorer in the CHL (a total role change). Then last year, when Jamie Benn broke Larkin's neck, Ras was asked to be the 1C for the last 15 games of the season or so. All while playing a much harder position than Zadina, having more responsibility on the ice, playing special teams, and taking faceoffs.

Zadina has only ever been asked to do the thing that he's supposedly good at, shoot and score. All while Blashill moved heaven and earth to help him succeed at THAT (top six minutes, great linemates, powerplay time). And the results have been...not good. His .37 points per game is only marginally better than Rasmussen's .31 despite the fact that offense is supposed to be his calling card. Put another way, Rasmussen scores nearly as much while playing harder position, having more defensive responsibilities, AND having to drag around guys like Adam Erne, Givani Smith, etc. Zadina, on the other hand, can't score alongside Bert, Suter, Larkin, Raymond, Vrana and that's LITERALLY his only job.

AND you're way off base defensively. Zadina apologists noticed a year ago that he was pretty good at stripping pucks on the backcheck and the "Zadina is a good defensive player" narrative was born. But the numbers don't support it. His defensive metrics rank near the very bottom of a team that's abysmal defensively.

Finally, Michael Rasmussen is a whopping 7 months older than Zadina and has only played 17 more NHL games than Zadina. Much is made about how Zadina is so young and has never had a full year's worth of development in the NHL. It's worth mentioning that he was an older player for his draft class (Ras was on the young end), and that Ras battled serious injuries early in his career. Their developmental curves are nearly identical aside from the fact that Ras is asked to do more...as I've already mentioned.

TLDR: Ras is MUCH better than Zadina.

This is absolutely my fault. I always bashed Zadina but included that I loved his puck stripping ability. If Zadina apologists mistaked my forthrightness for "Zadinas good defense" then they're wrong. I always continued to say if zadina had any level of defensive brain he would find himself in more situations to use that skill. But he doesn't. Because he can't anticipate a defensive or offensive play to save his life. 

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

This is absolutely my fault. I always bashed Zadina but included that I loved his puck stripping ability. If Zadina apologists mistaked my forthrightness for "Zadinas good defense" then they're wrong. I always continued to say if zadina had any level of defensive brain he would find himself in more situations to use that skill. But he doesn't. Because he can't anticipate a defensive or offensive play to save his life. 

Got into double digits tonight!  booya

33 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

And now a goal

Beat me to it lol. 

That’s two games in a row where he’s picked the corners with his shot. He doesn’t use it enough, but his shot is actually pretty good. And as predicted his transition game is lethal. 

Edited by kipwinger

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Beat me to it lol. 

That’s two games in a row where he’s picked the corners with his shot. He doesn’t use it enough, but his shot is actually pretty good. And as predicted his transition game is lethal. 

Its encouraging to see both Zadina and Berggren scoring

On 4/16/2022 at 8:08 PM, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

He's been struggling on a very bad Grand Rapids team, But he does play decent from time to time.

Brattstrom has been much better the 2nd half of the season. But he's a 25 year old goalie just finding his footing in the AHL... I think it's too late for him. He'll end up wanting to be back in Sweden b4 we can progress him. 

Ned

Hellberg

JVP

Pickard

Fulcher

That would be my ideal for next year. Have Ned lead the way with Hellberg and JVP chomping at his toes. Pickard and Fulcher can man GR and Toledo respectively.

Edited by bIueadams

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:
Who has two thumbs and a massive boner for the future of our blue line? This guy.

I thought you quit hockey after your left hand was amputated?

How... how did you acquire a second thumb again? 

:unsure:

Edited by _SP_