• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, bIueadams said:

Even when Lidstrom did play with Rafalski, which wasn't all the time. It was because we had a killer 2nd pairing in Kronwall and Stuart. That was arguably the best 2nd pairing in the league at that time. 

Exactly. Which is why you could pair Lids and Rafalski. You don't play Seider and Edvinsson together unless you have that kind of 2nd pair behind it. We don't. 

14 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

His legs always keep moving.  Thats a great trait of his.

Good hands. Prefers the off wing. People are comparing him to Holmstrom with better hands, but Groot is a perimeter player, not a net front guy. Needs to develop more of a mean streak.

I suspect he will play 3rd line RW.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

17 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Good hands. Prefers the off wing. People are comparing him to Holmstrom with better hands, but Groot is a perimeter player, not a net front guy. Needs to develop more of a mean streak.

I suspect he will play 3rd line RW.

Y'know you could just say you never seen him play......

Soderblom is a very good net front player has great hands in tight. He also drives the net and goes to the hard areas with regularity. With added strength and continued development he could be Franzen on steroids. His floor is 3w ceiling is 1w.

3 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Y'know you could just say you never seen him play......

Soderblom is a very good net front player has great hands in tight. He also drives the net and goes to the hard areas with regularity. With added strength and continued development he could be Franzen on steroids. His floor is 3w ceiling is 1w.

Watch the video before you post smart ass comments. I will take what actual hockey experts same about him over a hockey forum wannabe.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

23 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Watch the video before you post smart ass comments. I will take what actual hockey experts same about him over a hockey forum wannabe.

Y'know you could just say you never watched the video......

I get it its a long video but heres a time stamp to save you time -> 6:22 Just watch a minute or so from that point and tell us again how hes not a net front guy. Continue watching and tell us hes a perimeter player.

btw what the heck is a hockey forum wannabe? lol 

Edited by redw1ngs

38 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Y'know you could just say you never watched the video......

I get it its a long video but heres a time stamp to save you time -> 6:22 Just watch a minute or so from that point and tell us again how hes not a net front guy. Continue watching and tell us hes a perimeter player.

btw what the heck is a hockey forum wannabe? lol 

I said it before:

pro - his legs are always moving

con - he skates around people and not THROUGH people

The ability to skate around people goes away at the NHL level.  You have to skate straight lines and dart into open areas fof split seconds.  Raymond is a smaller guy, but he has a knack for finding that spot of open ice that only flashes itself for a half second.  Soderblom's clips shoe nothing of that yet.  The really good thing, however, is that the work rate is fantastic.  He just needs experience on the smaller rink and more muscle.

8 hours ago, mackel said:

Wrong

Take off the rose colored glasses. SY can make mistakes and this just happens to be 1 of them. Wallstedt has better numbers in a tougher league projects to be elite 1G. Petty well every expert has Wallstedt ahead of Cossa. You think Cossa will exceed expectations or Wallstedt will fail to meet expectations? or just being a homer?

3 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Cossa getting lit up against an actual good team now. 

Read an interesting comment made by a scout prior to last years draft...He more or less said be wary of Major JR goalies who are on good teams - inflated numbers...On the other hand a young guy tending goal against men in Scandoland is a better measuring stick, or so he felt.

9 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Take off the rose colored glasses. SY can make mistakes and this just happens to be 1 of them. Wallstedt has better numbers in a tougher league projects to be elite 1G. Petty well every expert has Wallstedt ahead of Cossa. You think Cossa will exceed expectations or Wallstedt will fail to meet expectations? or just being a homer?

What was it - something like Wally is the safer bet - however Cossa had the higher ceiling?

I'm not worried about Cossa at all. Bet on tools. The kid is 6'6 and athletic. Good enough for me. Yzerman seems to do this with most of his picks. Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Buium, Sodorblom. All guys with great tools that had to grow into their bodies a bit. Cossa will too.

14 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Read an interesting comment made by a scout prior to last years draft...He more or less said be wary of Major JR goalies who are on good teams - inflated numbers...On the other hand a young guy tending goal against men in Scandoland is a better measuring stick, or so he felt.

I do think this is interesting and brings up something I've been kicking around for a bit. Is it possible that the Canadian Juniors leagues aren't the premier talent producers that they once were? Sure they'll always be a factory because it's Canada and all. But it seems like lately the really high end Canadian guys have struggled when going up a level, while the Euros have been more equal to the task. Same for the Americans playing in the NTDP. It's all well and good for Alexis Lafreniere to torch a bunch of 16 and 17 year old kids each night, but Trevor Zegras was doing it to college kids in his draft year. Raymond, Stutzle, Seider, etc. were doing it in men's leagues.

If the skillsets are generally equal I think I'd probably rather draft a kid from those leagues these days. They're playing against much better players. Recency bias is a thing, so I'm not sure if this will continue but it's been interesting to note.

I think the grind of Canadian JR hockey is a factor.  Long bus rides etc.

The States college hockey has a great system of learning, practicing all week and only playing games on weekends.  

Europe pro leagues have their Jr counterparts to pull from so in essence they are more organized than Cdn Jr's.

In the end I think you're right that Cdn Jr hockey is harder for the off-ice deal and probably not as good as it once was.   Talent is talent though and it might take a bit longer to develop going the Jr route.   Just like Canadian kids playing baseball and football, they're losing so much development time because their climate will only allow them to play for so many months unlike  Southern or Western U.S. 12 month sport seasons.