• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

Walstedt is clearly the better goalie today

Cossa needs seasoning at a pro level yet, which walnuts has already and is getting. Real test for Cossa will be GR which he hopefully starts in this coming season. 

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Read an interesting comment made by a scout prior to last years draft...He more or less said be wary of Major JR goalies who are on good teams - inflated numbers...On the other hand a young guy tending goal against men in Scandoland is a better measuring stick, or so he felt.

What was it - something like Wally is the safer bet - however Cossa had the higher ceiling?

This is why Cossa will be a bust.

5 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Walstedt is clearly the better goalie today

Cossa needs seasoning at a pro level yet, which walnuts has already and is getting. Real test for Cossa will be GR which he hopefully starts in this coming season. 

If Cossa starts in GR next season it wont be pretty. Expect a Filip Larsson esque season sub .900sv% over 3gaa.

1 hour ago, redw1ngs said:

This is why Cossa will be a bust.

If Cossa starts in GR next season it wont be pretty. Expect a Filip Larsson esque season sub .900sv% over 3gaa.

Depends on what the big club does.  If the big club goes for a total tank, Grand Rapids might be a nice spot to play keeper.

McIsaac-Sebrango

Edvinsson-Johansson

Lashoff-Wallinder

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Depends on what the big club does.  If the big club goes for a total tank, Grand Rapids might be a nice spot to play keeper.

McIsaac-Sebrango

Edvinsson-Johansson

Lashoff-Wallinder

Edvinsson will be in Detroit and Wallinder will be in Sweden.

Larsson had a solid d in front of him to Seider/Lindstrom/Cholowski/Hicketts/Lashoff/Mcilrath 

55 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

McIsaac-Sebrango

Edvinsson-Johansson

Lashoff-Wallinder

More like:

Johansson - Kampfer

McIsaac - Lashoff

Sebrango - Newpower

Viro - Barton

43 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Edvinsson will be in Detroit and Wallinder will be in Sweden.

Larsson had a solid d in front of him to Seider/Lindstrom/Cholowski/Hicketts/Lashoff/Mcilrath 

I admit walnuts looks like the better draft pick right now, but im not grouping Cossa with Larsson just yet. Id like to watch him in GR first, like with Zadina and Cholo. 

Cossa was the best choice then and now... a rough game or two doesn't end a career.

If we get multiple failed seasons and lackluster play then he'll be a Zadina (bust).

15 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Take off the rose colored glasses. SY can make mistakes and this just happens to be 1 of them. Wallstedt has better numbers in a tougher league projects to be elite 1G. Petty well every expert has Wallstedt ahead of Cossa. You think Cossa will exceed expectations or Wallstedt will fail to meet expectations? or just being a homer?

Cossa is every bit the prospect Walmart.com... I'm not writing off an elite goalie prospect over a few bad games in a somewhat down year. 

I was right on Zadina and I'll be right on Cossa.  Bank on it.

8 hours ago, mackel said:

Cossa was the best choice then and now... a rough game or two doesn't end a career.

If we get multiple failed seasons and lackluster play then he'll be a Zadina (bust).

Cossa is every bit the prospect Walmart.com... I'm not writing off an elite goalie prospect over a few bad games in a somewhat down year. 

Cossa was always gonna take longer to develop than Wallstedt. But clearly, management sees a higher ceiling with Cossa, which is why I have always also been Team Cossa.

I do look forward to the meltdown when Wallstedt shows NHL success first though. 

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/05/23/red-wings-prospect-tuomisto-leaves-denver-signs-to-play-in-finland/

I was hoping this guy would be better.  The article doesnt say it, but going back across the Atlantic is not a good thing.  Make no mistake about it.  "My dream id to play in the NHL for Detroit.  Ive made it to the USA, so now I have to keep getting better and earn my way up to a spot in Grand Rapids.  Then do the same there."  Instead, we got "coach isnt giving me enough minutes so Im taking my puck and going home."  So long Tuo.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, redw1ngs said:

Y'know you could just say you never seen him play......

Soderblom is a very good net front player has great hands in tight. He also drives the net and goes to the hard areas with regularity. With added strength and continued development he could be Franzen on steroids. His floor is 3w ceiling is 1w.

Y'know you could just say you never seen him play in the SHL...

Franzen is not Holmstrom. I never said Soderblom wasn't a Franzen. I said the comparisons to Holmstrom are inaccurate. And they are.

I also never said his "ceiling" is 3rd liner. I said I "suspect he will play 3rd line RW". Which he most certainly will when he makes the roster if and until he progresses into the top 6.

You know who else has doubts about Soderblom reaching top 6 level? Max Bultman. An actual professional journalist who scouts the Red Wings and their prospects for a living, who has actually met Soderblom and watched him play. My comments came from points that he made in the video. But he's never watched him play, right? I will take his analysis over yours, thanks.

Know what else he mentions? That Soderblom is used on the perimeter off wing on the PP in Frolunda. Not a net front guy.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:43 PM, redw1ngs said:

Y'know you could just say you never watched the video......

I get it its a long video but heres a time stamp to save you time -> 6:22 Just watch a minute or so from that point and tell us again how hes not a net front guy. Continue watching and tell us hes a perimeter player.

btw what the heck is a hockey forum wannabe? lol 

Y'know you could just say you never watched the WHOLE video....

Impressive. You found one cherry picked example of him playing net front for Team Sweden. Congratulations. If you had bothered to watch the rest of the video, you would see that his role in Frolunda is different. Every single goal he scores in the video is on the rush, a one timer, or puckhandling thru the offensive zone. Couldn't find one goal scored in the paint. Saw a lot of goals scored from the circles and the slot, tho. But you're the expert, right. I must be blind.

Soderblom is a shooter. He has good hands. Is always moving. Has good stickhandling skills. Sticking him in front of the net would be a waste of his talent.

And NITF is a perfect example of a hockey forum wannabe.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Franzen is not Holmstrom. I never said Soderblom wasn't a Franzen. I said the comparisons to Holmstrom are inaccurate. And they are.

I also never said his "ceiling" is 3rd liner. I said I "suspect he will play 3rd line RW". Which he most certainly will when he makes the roster if and until he progresses into the top 6.

You know who else has doubts about Soderblom reaching top 6 level? Max Bultman. An actual professional journalist who scouts the Red Wings and their prospects for a living, who has actually met Soderblom and watched him play. My comments came from points that he made in the video. But he's never watched him play, right? I will take his analysis over yours, thanks.

Know what else he mentions? That Soderblom is used on the perimeter off wing on the PP in Frolunda. Not a net front guy.

Impressive. You found one cherry picked example of him playing net front for Team Sweden. Congratulations. If you had bothered to watch the rest of the video, you would see that his role in Frolunda is different. Every single goal he scores in the video is on the rush, a one timer, or puckhandling thru the offensive zone. Couldn't find one goal scored in the paint. Saw a lot of goals scored from the circles and the slot, tho. But you're the expert, right. I must be blind.

Soderblom is a shooter. He has good hands. Is always moving. Has good stickhandling skills. Sticking him in front of the net would be a waste of his talent.

The only one who hasnt been paying attention to Soderblom is you apparently.

I absolutely agree, he's more of a sniper than net front type. He's used primarly in off hand shooting postions on the PP. But he does play net front and he's VERY good at it. He's very creative at finding ways to score in front of the net. It's one of his biggest strengths. There's plenty of footage of this. Go watch it. 

And really? You're citing Max Buttman as your ace in the hole? The same guy who called Seider a mistake? You need to do your homework and stop relying on butt boy to tell you how to think. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, mackel said:

Wallstedt was the better goalie a year ago leading up to the draft and hes proven to be the better goalie now after his d+1 season.

Cossa has good stats on a stacked team playing against kids in a Canadian junior league. Hes had more then a few bad games btw hes had quite a few stinkers this season. Wallstedt has better stats on a good team playing against men in arguably the top league outside of the NHL.

Im not sure what you said about Zadina but I called Cossa over Wallstedt a mistake back then and neither goalies done anything to disprove that yet.

11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why so mad bro? Dont take it so serious.

I agree the Holmstrom comp isnt totally accurate Soderblom is much better then Homer. I guess the comp comes from there ability in front of the net which Soderblom clearly has.

It doesnt matter where ES played in Frolunda. He played net front for Sweden in WJ and he should be given a look in that role in D/GR.

Im still not sure what a hockey forum wannabe is lol. Wtf does NITF mean? Im clearly a wannabe not a expert like you throwing crazy acronyms Ive never seen at me.

10 hours ago, bIueadams said:

The only one who hasnt been paying attention to Soderblom is you apparently.

I absolutely agree, he's more of a sniper than net front type. He's used primarly in off hand shooting postions on the PP. But he does play net front and he's VERY good at it. He's very creative at finding ways to score in front of the net. It's one of his biggest strengths. There's plenty of footage of this. Go watch it. 

And really? You're citing Max Buttman as your ace in the hole? The same guy who called Seider a mistake? You need to do your homework and stop relying on butt boy to tell you how to think. 

Max is a good journalist. But he is just that. A journalist. He being used as some authority on prospect/players is ******* weird.

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Max is a good journalist. But he is just that. A journalist. He being used as some authority on prospect/players is ******* weird.

The Athletic is the top of the line. But some of their "expert" "opinions" are cringe as hell. We've had plenty of posters on this board who have better judge of talent than they do. 

For example, Since we're talking about Soderblom, at least years training camp Scott Wheeler pooped all over Soderblom saying he's not very talented and probably has no future. I hope he's at least as humble as Bultman was with Seider, and will come out and say he screwed up. 

It's just funny that they deciede to flap their gums about Seider and Soder not being good - when theyre secretly the best players - but then they have nothing to say about Zadina, Tuomisto, and Veleno. Amatuers. 

2 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

The Athletic is the top of the line. But some of their "expert" "opinions" are cringe as hell. We've had plenty of posters on this board who have better judge of talent than they do. 

For example, Since we're talking about Soderblom, at least years training camp Scott Wheeler pooped all over Soderblom saying he's not very talented and probably has no future. I hope he's at least as humble as Bultman was with Seider, and will come out and say he screwed up. 

It's just funny that they deciede to flap their gums about Seider and Soder not being good - when theyre secretly the best players - but then they have nothing to say about Zadina, Tuomisto, and Veleno. Amatuers. 

In the end, they are fans with opinions just like us. They just have access to people within the organization from time to time.

They certainly do not have any more insight on prospects than we do. We see the same things they do. They form opinions just like we do. They cling to hope Zadina will turn out to be good just like a lot of other lost Wings fans do. It's almost like everyone is simply human. 

4 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Wtf does NITF mean?

How rigged do you suspect the league is?

7 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

In the end, they are fans with opinions just like us. They just have access to people within the organization from time to time.

They certainly do not have any more insight on prospects than we do. We see the same things they do. They form opinions just like we do. They cling to hope Zadina will turn out to be good just like a lot of other lost Wings fans do. It's almost like everyone is simply human. 

Sure, but when you watch tape of Seider and your take away is he sucks, i start to seriously question your opinion and judgement. 

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

How rigged do you suspect the league is?

Sure, but when you watch tape of Seider and your take away is he sucks, i start to seriously question your opinion and judgement. 

Did he actually say he sucked though? Or did he just question where he was picked, as did 99% of other people at the time? I think these guys get far too caught up in rankings and s*** and are afraid to differ their opinions from that stuff. 

I myself never even heard of him when his name was called. Though I was pretty sold on him within like 30 mins of googling.

I do love that in a redraft, Seider likely goes #1. Win. Let's do the same with Savoie. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Did he actually say he sucked though? Or did he just question where he was picked, as did 99% of other people at the time? I think these guys get far too caught up in rankings and s*** and are afraid to differ their opinions from that stuff. 

I myself never even heard of him when his name was called. Though I was pretty sold on him within like 30 mins of googling.

I do love that in a redraft, Seider likely goes #1. Win. Let's do the same with Savoie. 

Just realized im confusing Bultman for Pronman.

Pronman was dissapointed with the pick. Picked too high. Then 4 months later (before the season started) he 180ed his opinion. I just dont get how you can come to a conclusion on a player - no new play happens - and then you suddenly reverse your take.

Scott Wheeler straight up said Soderblom isnt good. Moron. 

Edited by bIueadams

22 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Even more confused.

Fwiw tho I dont think the league is rigged.

He suspects you are the sock account of a former poster called NITF. NITF was obsessed with drafting Walstedt. He also thought everything in the NHL was "rigged".

Obviously you are not this person. You're just smart enough to see Walstedt is indeed the better goalie. 

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

He suspects you are the sock account of a former poster called NITF. NITF was obsessed with drafting Walstedt. He also thought everything in the NHL was "rigged".

Obviously you are not this person. You're just smart enough to see Walstedt is indeed the better goalie. 

Ok. That makes a little more sense.

I think itd be difficult finding many outside of Red Wings fans that wouldnt take Wallstedt over Cossa on draft day and even more so today.

3 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Ok. That makes a little more sense.

I think itd be difficult finding many outside of Red Wings fans that wouldnt take Wallstedt over Cossa on draft day and even more so today.

Agreed. 

Really hoping Soderblom makes the team. The potential matchup issues this kid is going to cause for other teams is going to be tremendous. 

Imagine you staple him to the top line with Larkin. Opposing teams won't be able to deploy their smallish top Dmen against our top forward line. Dmen like Hughes, Makar, Krug, etc. They wont be able to handle his sheer size and strength. As long as this kid isnt timid. Doesnt have to be mean. Just not timid. 

Not to mention, this isnt a Rasmussen situation either. This kid has way more skill AND benches a whopping 300 lbs. Other teams will be forced to deploy their bigger, stronger, slower Dmen against our top line. Guys like Zadorov, Chara, Oleksiak, etc. This could be a scoring buffet for our top line.

Vrana - Larkin - Soderblom

Bertuzzi - UFA - Raymond

All of the sudden we have a deep top 6.

Fabbri - Rasmussen/Veleno/Suter - Berggren

And a 3rd scoring line ready to come into its own.

If SY can sign some decent Dmen and Eddog performs as billed - we could have an exciting season ahead of us.