• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, redw1ngs said:

'build' and 'build around' are 2 very diffrent things. A core of a team is usually what 4 or 5 players? Thats usually your high R1 picks. Your not rounding out top6F/top4D with just R1 picks also need to hit on some later round picks. Were all hoping Berggren Soderblom Wallinder Johansson are those top of the lineup later round picks but nothings certain with any those players either.

Not what I meant.

Your saying we dont need to draft good in all rounds? Every team spending millions on scouting would disagree. Why do gms acquire picks beyond R1? Why do we even have a draft beyond R1?

If you think this team has been good enough finding players in the later rounds i disagree.

wHy dO wE EVeN dRAfT?

Again, you exaggerate and commit straw man.

If you have 5 solid pillar players you don't NEED to hit on anything in the later rounds, as you suggest. You dont even have to hit on your 1sts at that point. I'll let you do the math on why that is. 

As if Scott Wheeler of The Athletic wasn't a big enough clown, here's his top 15 prospects:

1. Owen Power

2. Luke Hughes

3. Shane Wright

4. Simon Nemec

5. Logan Cooley

6. Matt Beniers

7. Kent Johnson

8. Cole Perfetti

9. Matt Savoie

10. Juraj Slafkovsky

11. Jake Sanderson

12. Brandt Clarke

13. Mason McTavish

14. Simon Edvinsson

15. Quinton Byfield

North American bias much? Kasper, Wallinder, Sodorblom, and Johansson didn't even make the list of top 50 despite playing at a very high level in one of the best professional leagues in the world. "Sure Elmer Sodorblom was a top 10 goal scorer in the SHL, but how would he do against 16 year old Canadian kids?". Lol

Also love how Savoie is higher rated than Slafkovsky despite being significantly lower ranked on Wheeler's own draft ranking (which are only about a month old).

Edited by kipwinger

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

As if Scott Wheeler of The Athletic wasn't a big enough clown, here's his top 15 prospects:

1. Owen Power

2. Luke Hughes

3. Shane Wright

4. Simon Nemec

5. Logan Cooley

6. Matt Beniers

7. Kent Johnson

8. Cole Perfetti

9. Matt Savoie

10. Juraj Slafkovsky

11. Jake Sanderson

12. Brandt Clarke

13. Mason McTavish

14. Simon Edvinsson

15. Quinton Byfield

North American bias much? Kasper, Wallinder, Sodorblom, and Johansson didn't even make the list of top 50 despite playing at a very high level in one of the best professional leagues in the world. "Sure Elmer Sodorblom was a top 10 goal scorer in the SHL, but how would he do against 16 year old Canadian kids?". Lol

Also love how Savoie is higher rated than Slafkovsky despite being significantly lower ranked on Wheeler's own draft ranking (which are only about a month old).

Wheeler called Soderblom a trash pick last year. Guy is touched by the angels. 

Big if true: I'm trying to find the tweet now to verify its authenticity but I'm told that Rogle's number one center is injured and on the shelf for the season. Could be a HUGE opportunity for both Neiderbach and Kasper.

Edit:

Edited by kipwinger

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Big if true: I'm trying to find the tweet now to verify its authenticity but I'm told that Rogle's number one center is injured and on the shelf for the season. Could be a HUGE opportunity for both Neiderbach and Kasper.

Edit:

Hopefully Kasper takes it and runs.

15 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Edit:

disregard my post in the Hagg thread haha

And the hits just keep on coming with Scott Wheeler. Today Scott Wheeler re-drafted the 2019 NHL draft.

1. Jack Hughes

2. Trevor Zegras

3. Moritz Seider

4. Matt Boldy

5. Cole Caufield

Why (might you ask) is Seider behind Zegras? Because Zegras is "already one of the faces of this sport". I've said before and I'll say again, I hope to one day love anything as much as hockey writers love "the Michigan". Literal children (and guys in wheelchairs too!) do it ever single season, but let one NHL player do it and you'd think they had unlocked the key to nuclear fusion. There are probably not 5 GMs in the league that would rather have Zegras right now over Seider. I'd say it's 50/50 with Seider and Hughes.

What a clown.

Edited by kipwinger

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

And the hits just keep on coming with Scott Wheeler. Today Scott Wheeler re-drafted the 2019 NHL draft.

1. Jack Hughes

2. Trevor Zegras

3. Moritz Seider

4. Matt Boldy

5. Cole Caufield

Why (might you ask) is Seider behind Zegras? Because Zegras is "already one of the faces of this sport". I've said before and I'll say again, I hope to one day love anything as much as hockey writers love "the Michigan". Literal children (and guys in wheelchairs too!) do it ever single season, but let one NHL player do it and you'd think they had unlocked the key to nuclear fusion. There are probably not 5 GMs in the league that would rather have Zegras right now over Seider. I'd say it's 50/50 with Seider and Hughes.

What a clown.

#1 Seider

Then the rest...

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

#1 Seider

Then the rest...

I don't think that Seider is obviously better than Jack Hughes, but I don't think anyone else in the draft class is going before either of them in a re-draft at this point. A point per game center and a top of the league #1 defenseman aren't getting passed over for "flashy top line center who's not as offensively gifted as Hughes and doesn't do anything else particularly well".

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't think that Seider is obviously better than Jack Hughes, but I don't think anyone else in the draft class is going before either of them in a re-draft at this point. A point per game center and a top of the league #1 defenseman aren't getting passed over for "flashy top line center who's not as offensively gifted as Hughes and doesn't do anything else particularly well".

From what little I've seen - Hughes is still built like a 16 yr old who's about to take his driving exam...Talented - indeed, but can he stay healthy for the duration of an arduous 82 game schedule?

That's what impressed me about Seider - not only his skillset, physical prowess, but his durability and consistency.

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

From what little I've seen - Hughes is still built like a 16 yr old who's about to take his driving exam...Talented - indeed, but can he stay healthy for the duration of an arduous 82 game schedule?

That's what impressed me about Seider - not only his skillset, physical prowess, but his durability and consistency.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. I'm not fan of Hughes and was very critical of the hype around him on draft day. I agree that unless he bulks up and learns to play a little tougher he'll get dominated by dudes like Dylan Larkin his whole career. I think he's basically a smaller Mark Scheifele. But I think many GMs still take that risk on draft day if they think they're getting a point per game center.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. I'm not fan of Hughes and was very critical of the hype around him on draft day. I agree that unless he bulks up and learns to play a little tougher he'll get dominated by dudes like Dylan Larkin his whole career. I think he's basically a smaller Mark Scheifele. But I think many GMs still take that risk on draft day if they think they're getting a point per game center.

Agreed.

55 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Trevor Zegras

3. Moritz Seider

4. Matt Boldy

5. Cole Caufield

What a clown.

Scott Wheeler is a fool... thank God I'm not that bad at my job.

He's a clown. Not like your boy Pronman though. That dude totally nailed the draft. Literally the only media type out there that predicted Wright falling to 4th. He had Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Cooley, Wright. Pretty solid analysis by Corey there, you have to admit?

Sebrango earns an A for the WJC. Can someone breakdown this kid for me? Hes been fast tracked very quickly. Getting signed and going to the AHL immedately. Now hes earning these recognitions... i watched him play with the griffins a bit... he looked taxed and very average late in the griffs season to me. But then he was also 19 so i guess thats pretty good for his age range. I shouldve paid this guy more attention i guess. He seems to be a solid darkhorse by his accomplishments. Hes probably in the same mix with Viro and Johansson no?

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

Sebrango earns an A for the WJC. Can someone breakdown this kid for me? Hes been fast tracked very quickly. Getting signed and going to the AHL immedately. Now hes earning these recognitions... i watched him play with the griffins a bit... he looked taxed and very average late in the griffs season to me. But then he was also 19 so i guess thats pretty good for his age range. I shouldve paid this guy more attention i guess. He seems to be a solid darkhorse by his accomplishments. Hes probably in the same mix with Viro and Johansson no?

I wouldnt be surprised if Sebrango is right behind Edvinsson in the teams plans right now.  He's a pro's pro with lots of poise and leadership, despite the young age.

4 hours ago, bIueadams said:

I wouldn't worry about him looking taxed late in the season as it was his first pro season. 

He'll never score much, but seems poised to develop into a really good defensive dman who will be tough to play against.