• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

love AA

If he can be AA without the lazy attitude that'd be great. Otherwise he seems identical. Great hands, creativity, and loves to carry the puck up ice. Sucks at D. Probably gonna end up being a winger unfortunately. 

I went to the Griffins game tonight and here are my thoughts: 

Cross Hanas and Pontus Andreasson were the two best GR forwards. Hanas is bigger and faster than he is listed and his skill genuinely pops. My only knock on him is that he tries to do too much and doesn’t use his teammates well (yet). Andreasson is a really really nifty playmaker who just needs to get thicker. 

Jared McIsaac and Albert Johansson were the best defensive pair. They played in all key situations and had all the hardest matchups. Both are really adept at moving the puck and while their offense wasn’t otherworldly they both contribute to moving the play in the right direction. 

Ned was good but had to do very very little tonight. 

Edvinsson had an awesome sequence where he cross checked some dude that was running around wildly and put him on the ice. Dude’s teammate didn’t like it and came after Edvinsson who cross checked him down to the ice, drew a penalty, and then laughed at both of them as he skated away. 

Vrana looked like he didn’t want to be there, didn’t give a sh*t, and had no interest in trying. He was SO lazy. He didn’t support guys in battles, he cherry picked and blew the zone on almost every shift, and I don’t think I saw him skate hard once. He did have one shot though were he looked like his old self, took a wrister that was literally off his stick so fast your eyes couldn’t keep up. I think he’s as good as gone. He made it VERY clear tonight that he has no interest in trying to restart his career in GR. 

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I went to the Griffins game tonight and here are my thoughts: 

Cross Hanas and Pontus Andreasson were the two best GR forwards. Hanas is bigger and faster than he is listed and his skill genuinely pops. My only knock on him is that he tries to do too much and doesn’t use his teammates well (yet). Andreasson is a really really nifty playmaker who just needs to get thicker. 

Jared McIsaac and Albert Johansson were the best defensive pair. They played in all key situations and had all the hardest matchups. Both are really adept at moving the puck and while their offense wasn’t otherworldly they both contribute to moving the play in the right direction. 

Ned was good but had to do very very little tonight. 

Edvinsson had an awesome sequence where he cross checked some dude that was running around wildly and put him on the ice. Dude’s teammate didn’t like it and came after Edvinsson who cross checked him down to the ice, drew a penalty, and then laughed at both of them as he skated away. 

Vrana looked like he didn’t want to be there, didn’t give a sh*t, and had no interest in trying. He was SO lazy. He didn’t support guys in battles, he cherry picked and blew the zone on almost every shift, and I don’t think I saw him skate hard once. He did have one shot though were he looked like his old self, took a wrister that was literally off his stick so fast your eyes couldn’t keep up. I think he’s as good as gone. He made it VERY clear tonight that he has no interest in trying to restart his career in GR. 

When Vrana got waived I ventured over to some Caps boards to gauge their reactions. Naturally their was a lot of Mantha v Vrana discussion again. 

Basically, Mantha is frustrating because he doesnt use his size and could be so much better if he did. But if you just pretend hes 5'11" hes a great player who plays the right way.

They still love Vrana because hes an exciting player to watch, and has that next level of offensive dynamo that Mantha doesnt. But he sucks defensively and has bouts of laziness that land him in the coaches doghouse.

Generally, they seem to have a good grasp of both players and are happy to have Mantha over Vrana at this point.

Really sucks, cause this was Vrana's chance to start new and be that uber talented winger we know he can be. But what with the drugs, him not trying in GR as you say, and wiping Detroit from his social media, its probably fair to say hes done in Detroit. 

Not sure where we go from here. He seems to have no value and 1 year left at 5.25. Maybe we can trade him at 50% retained? I have a feeling he'll be bought out this summer though...

21 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

When Vrana got waived I ventured over to some Caps boards to gauge their reactions. Naturally their was a lot of Mantha v Vrana discussion again. 

Basically, Mantha is frustrating because he doesnt use his size and could be so much better if he did. But if you just pretend hes 5'11" hes a great player who plays the right way.

They still love Vrana because hes an exciting player to watch, and has that next level of offensive dynamo that Mantha doesnt. But he sucks defensively and has bouts of laziness that land him in the coaches doghouse.

Generally, they seem to have a good grasp of both players and are happy to have Mantha over Vrana at this point.

Really sucks, cause this was Vrana's chance to start new and be that uber talented winger we know he can be. But what with the drugs, him not trying in GR as you say, and wiping Detroit from his social media, its probably fair to say hes done in Detroit. 

Not sure where we go from here. He seems to have no value and 1 year left at 5.25. Maybe we can trade him at 50% retained? I have a feeling he'll be bought out this summer though...

Stevie at the presser: "We wish him the best"

Stevie after the presser to Drapes: "That junkie asshat can get F U C K E D"

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Stevie at the presser: "We wish him the best"

Stevie after the presser to Drapes: "That junkie asshat can get F U C K E D"

Hopefully Vrana is just going through the motions in GR and taking it easy while he gets back in shape and up to game speed. 

Hopefully hes not damaged goods that cant play without his nose candy motivation...

If hes going to be traded we need him up with the wings getting showcased like NOW. 57 days until TDL.

1 hour ago, Walman6million said:

Hopefully Vrana is just going through the motions in GR and taking it easy while he gets back in shape and up to game speed. 

Hopefully hes not damaged goods that cant play without his nose candy motivation...

If hes going to be traded we need him up with the wings getting showcased like NOW. 57 days until TDL.

I hope so too, but I can tell you that the player I saw last night didn't look rusty. He looked like he didn't give a sh*t and wasn't interested to trying. I'm sure GR's coach Ben Simon is under very strict rules on how to deal with Vrana, otherwise he should have been glued to the bench. It was bad.

I also forgot to mention that Chase Pearson looked awesome last night. Two years ago he had a really good season. Then last year he kinda sucked. Then he was away from the team for "personal reasons" to start this season. But he looked really good last night. He's big, fast, and busts his ass on every shift.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I hope so too, but I can tell you that the player I saw last night didn't look rusty. He looked like he didn't give a sh*t and wasn't interested to trying. I'm sure GR's coach Ben Simon is under very strict rules on how to deal with Vrana, otherwise he should have been glued to the bench. It was bad.

I also forgot to mention that Chase Pearson looked awesome last night. Two years ago he had a really good season. Then last year he kinda sucked. Then he was away from the team for "personal reasons" to start this season. But he looked really good last night. He's big, fast, and busts his ass on every shift.

4 games. 0 points. -6.

For a guy that scores at will in the NHL, and was dominant in Hershey, this is really bad. 

Like I said in the deleted thread, theres some subtle things about the timeline I dont like, that no doubt the wings are aware of. 

1. Obviously spent his summer doing drugs 2. Didnt seek help until the season started 3. Spent twice the amount of time in PAP than is required 4. Didnt exit PAP until the Wings started demanding answers 5. Now hes playing terrible and disinterested

It paints the picture of a guy who really doesnt want to play and who used the PAP as an oppurtunity to kick back and relax. I dont see SY or Illitch putting up with this for very long. IMO that waiver was not some galaxy brain move by SY that some seem to want to believe, it was a clear message from SY to Vrana that he can go F off. 

There were several other safer roster moves SY could have made, but he saw Vrana as the lowest on the totem poll. Yikes. 

6 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

4 games. 0 points. -6.

For a guy that scores at will in the NHL, and was dominant in Hershey, this is really bad. 

Like I said in the deleted thread, theres some subtle things about the timeline I dont like, that no doubt the wings are aware of. 

1. Obviously spent his summer doing drugs 2. Didnt seek help until the season started 3. Spent twice the amount of time in PAP than is required 4. Didnt exit PAP until the Wings started demanding answers 5. Now hes playing terrible and disinterested

It paints the picture of a guy who really doesnt want to play and who used the PAP as an oppurtunity to kick back and relax. I dont see SY or Illitch putting up with this for very long. IMO that waiver was not some galaxy brain move by SY that some seem to want to believe, it was a clear message from SY to Vrana that he can go F off. 

SY: Jakub, two of your teammates saw you doing cocaine, and now we're obligated to check you into the assistance program.

JV: I can handle it, Steve.  I got it.

SY: We dont have a choice.

JV: Really, Steve?  Really?  Ok.

JV in his mind: "This is like coffee where Im from.  They dont get it.  Im fine."

Stevie in his mind: "FML.  This dude is history."

Fans: "Get better, Jakub.  You do whats good for you.  Take your time."

Jonas and Walman6mil: "We want him castrated."

15 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

SY: Jakub, two of your teammates saw you doing cocaine, and now we're obligated to check you into the assistance program.

JV: I can handle it, Steve.  I got it.

SY: We dont have a choice.

JV: Really, Steve?  Really?  Ok.

JV in his mind: "This is like coffee where Im from.  They dont get it.  Im fine."

Stevie in his mind: "FML.  This dude is history."

Fans: "Get better, Jakub.  You do whats good for you.  Take your time."

Jonas and Walman6mil: "We want him castrated."

Circumsized at the very least

Was reading one of the griffins insiders. Says Vrana has been sluggish and not engaged. Missing defensive assignments to the point that Simon is having to talk to him everytime he returns to the bench. So basically confirms what Kip said. Guy is lazy and he sucks. 

16 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Circumsized at the very least

Was reading one of the griffins insiders. Says Vrana has been sluggish and not engaged. Missing defensive assignments to the point that Simon is having to talk to him everytime he returns to the bench. So basically confirms what Kip said. Guy is lazy and he sucks. 

what a joke.  i called this back last year when he got injured in preseason on the softest check ive ever seen.  the guy is a turd.

Good write up today on William Wallinder at Elite Prospects. He was highlighted as a prospect whose value is rising (Niederbach was highlighted as someone whose stock is falling).

William Wallinder, D, Rögle (Detroit Red Wings)

I've been reluctant to come around to William Wallinder's game, but his development keeps on trending in the right direction and bears recognition. The Red Wings prospect has ascended to the No. 1 role on Rögle as a 20-year-old and generated 20 points in 32 games in the process. He does everything for this team, a fact reflected in his every-situation usage.

There's never been any denying Wallinder's skating. You just don't see many players with his 6-foot-4 frame who can move as he does. It was always a matter of whether these tools were enough to make him a viable NHL option in the face of questionable decision-making and the odd blunder.

Now two-plus years removed from going to the Red Wings in the first round, Wallinder is making decisions with much more pace. He supports his teammates well and is constantly moving to improve his options and how quickly he gets to them when the puck lands on his stick. He always seems to be in the right place, at the right time.

Wallinder rarely takes inefficient routes or holds onto the puck for too long now. 

Wallinder rarely travels inefficient routes or holds on to the puck on his stick for too long now. This has allowed him to seize on his offensive potential and act on his instincts – he's becoming a more intelligent, more engaged player. He's been effective in a power play role.

The progression has been a little more mixed in the defensive zone. He's still a little on the lanky side and lacks the physical strength to clear the net front on occasion. Still, I've grown fond of his proactive reads and how aggressive he is along the boards. He doesn't shy away from the physical stuff.

Another interesting, positive quirk of late, is just how far along Wallinder's backwards skating has come. He doesn't seem to lose so much as a step when he pivots to face oncoming attackers in space – he's almost as fast going backwards as he is forwards. He has the tools and the reach to be a strong rush defender in the NHL.

I can see him stepping over and challenging for a spot on the Detroit blue line next season. His long-term projection is as a top-four defenceman at this point.

16 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Good write up today on William Wallinder at Elite Prospects. He was highlighted as a prospect whose value is rising (Niederbach was highlighted as someone whose stock is falling).

William Wallinder, D, Rögle (Detroit Red Wings)

I've been reluctant to come around to William Wallinder's game, but his development keeps on trending in the right direction and bears recognition. The Red Wings prospect has ascended to the No. 1 role on Rögle as a 20-year-old and generated 20 points in 32 games in the process. He does everything for this team, a fact reflected in his every-situation usage.

There's never been any denying Wallinder's skating. You just don't see many players with his 6-foot-4 frame who can move as he does. It was always a matter of whether these tools were enough to make him a viable NHL option in the face of questionable decision-making and the odd blunder.

Now two-plus years removed from going to the Red Wings in the first round, Wallinder is making decisions with much more pace. He supports his teammates well and is constantly moving to improve his options and how quickly he gets to them when the puck lands on his stick. He always seems to be in the right place, at the right time.

Wallinder rarely takes inefficient routes or holds onto the puck for too long now. 

Wallinder rarely travels inefficient routes or holds on to the puck on his stick for too long now. This has allowed him to seize on his offensive potential and act on his instincts – he's becoming a more intelligent, more engaged player. He's been effective in a power play role.

The progression has been a little more mixed in the defensive zone. He's still a little on the lanky side and lacks the physical strength to clear the net front on occasion. Still, I've grown fond of his proactive reads and how aggressive he is along the boards. He doesn't shy away from the physical stuff.

Another interesting, positive quirk of late, is just how far along Wallinder's backwards skating has come. He doesn't seem to lose so much as a step when he pivots to face oncoming attackers in space – he's almost as fast going backwards as he is forwards. He has the tools and the reach to be a strong rush defender in the NHL.

I can see him stepping over and challenging for a spot on the Detroit blue line next season. His long-term projection is as a top-four defenceman at this point.

We good on LHD then errr?

45 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

We good on LHD then errr?

Everytime I catch myself imagining a trade for Chychrun I remember we've got Wallinder and Edvinsson...and Johansson and McIsaac and Buium. So yeah, we're probably gonna be fine at LD.

41 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Everytime I catch myself imagining a trade for Chychrun I remember we've got Wallinder and Edvinsson...and Johansson and McIsaac and Buium. So yeah, we're probably gonna be fine at LD.

Jake Walman is looking like a top4 Dman going forward. 

Add Eddog next year.

We should be good.

Honestly have no idea what our needs are this offseason. If Bert/Vrana are gotten rid of I guess we go winger shopping again. If Larkin, centers. Probably need a new back up for Husso? But overall Im happy with the D corps even if we lose Maata.

3 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Add Eddog next year.

We should be good.

Honestly have no idea what our needs are this offseason. If Bert/Vrana are gotten rid of I guess we go winger shopping again. If Larkin, centers. Probably need a new back up for Husso? But overall Im happy with the D corps even if we lose Maata.

Yeah, I really like what Maatta has done but I don't see him as some essential piece. If we can get a 2nd for him at the deadline I'd move him in a heartbeat. Walman, Chiarot, Edvinsson on the left side next season doesn't bother me at all. At the very least I'd like to see us pursue Horvat in the offseason. If we trade Bertuzzi then I'd like to see them go hard after Timo Meier too.

I've been sleeping on this bit of news, but Marco Kasper tied Lucas Raymond's D+1 scoring rate with a dominant 3 point night this week. One thing I've noticed about Kasper, aside from what a hardcase he is, is that his playmaking is really really good. His passing is an under the radar part of his game that he didn't really show in his draft year. We really got a good one here.

38 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I've been sleeping on this bit of news, but Marco Kasper tied Lucas Raymond's D+1 scoring rate with a dominant 3 point night this week. One thing I've noticed about Kasper, aside from what a hardcase he is, is that his playmaking is really really good. His passing is an under the radar part of his game that he didn't really show in his draft year. We really got a good one here.

One thing ive noticed among wings fans is the general dismissal of Kasper as a future 1C, and i dont know why. I think 1C is still very much on the table for this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

One thing ive noticed among wings fans is the general dismissal of Kasper as a future 1C, and i dont know why. I think 1C is still very much on the table for this guy. 

He's not flashy at all, and so he flies under the radar. You can score a point per game in the NHL as a centerman and nobody will care if you don't look like Jack Hughes while you do it. But there are a TON of really good NHL centers that look an awful lot like Marco Kasper. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Toews. Just a big, powerful, heady, workhorse with really good passing and okay goal scoring. Probably not going to blow you away in the skill department but is someone who will be on the scoresheet every night because he does all the heavy lifting for the skill guys. Also see a lot of Ryan O'Reilly in his game. No frills but very effective. I'd say he's already got the skating, passing, and physicality of an NHL player. If he can continue to develop a wrist shot (the way Larkin did) then he's definitely got a shot at 1C.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

He's not flashy at all, and so he flies under the radar. You can score a point per game in the NHL as a centerman and nobody will care if you don't look like Jack Hughes while you do it. But there are a TON of really good NHL centers that look an awful lot like Marco Kasper. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Toews. Just a big, powerful, heady, workhorse with really good passing and okay goal scoring. Probably not going to blow you away in the skill department but is someone who will be on the scoresheet every night because he does all the heavy lifting for the skill guys. Also see a lot of Ryan O'Reilly in his game. No frills but very effective. I'd say he's already got the skating, passing, and physicality of an NHL player. If he can continue to develop a wrist shot (the way Larkin did) then he's definitely got a shot at 1C.

Was Zetterberg really all that flashy? Nah he was just textbook good, just like Kasper. 

26 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Was Zetterberg really all that flashy? Nah he was just textbook good, just like Kasper. 

Good player comp. Kasper protects the puck really well and is good at cycling playing down low. Kasper does everything really well imo and isnt afraid of the greasy areas. He has the dog in him just needs to add strength to his frame.

31 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Solid comparison as well. Stylistically he's like Zetterberg except bigger, faster, and meaner. Poor us for having such sh*t prospects lol. I just read an article the other day suggesting that the "Yzerplan" may be off the rails because we only had 1 player at the World Junior Championships. LOL. Nevermind that three of our top prospects (Kasper, Edvinsson, Buchelnikov) were eligible but not allowed to play for various reasons. Oh, and then there's the fact that we've got another 10+ quality prospects tearing up their respective leagues at young ages. The sky is falling because we only had Red Savage at the World Juniors. Boohoo.

3 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Good player comp. Kasper protects the puck really well and is good at cycling playing down low. Kasper does everything really well imo and isnt afraid of the greasy areas. He has the dog in him just needs to add strength to his frame.

He already ragdolls grown men in the SHL on a more or less game by game basis. I think he WILL get stronger, obviously, as he matures but he's already more than strong enough to play in the NHL. I see a lot of Ryan Kessler in him with respect to his physical attributes. He's big, fast, strong, and mean. I think the only question is whether he's a 50-60 point center or a 70-80 point center. The lower end may be more likely, but I don't think the upper end is off the table at all.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, Walman6million said:

Add Eddog next year.

We should be good.

LOL.  What needs do we NOT have?  

I suppose another RHD would be a waste.  Almost everything else is a weakness.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

4 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

LOL.  What needs do we NOT have?  

I suppose another RHD would be a waste.  Almost everything else is a weakness.  

You got Chiarot, Walman, and likely Edvinsson taking up the LHD spots next year.
We basically have a ton of wingers unless Bertuzzi and Vrana are gone.
And if we sign more centers one of our current centers becomes another wing.

There isn't a glaring hole to me like last year at LHD.

I think you go goalie hunting again, try to get a top flight center again, and sign some depth pieces.

Of course this could radically change in the next 45 days