• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You might be on to something with Jarnkrok and Smith, but I'm not so sure about Jurco. I think of "over ripe" as a guy who's obviously too good for the AHL but who is forced to spend significant time down there anyway. Kinda like Berggren was for the latter part of last season and the AHL games he played this season. Other guys like that were Howard, Jensen, Nyquist, and Tatar. Jurco was never a dominant AHL player. And he only played about a season and a half for the Griffs before his call up. Some guys spend a ton of time in the AHL because they're just genuinely not very good (Pulkkinen, Frk). I tend to put Jurco in that camp.

Didnt @krsmith17 whine about Jurco being called up too early?

1 minute ago, Walman6million said:

Didnt @krsmith17 whine about Jurco being called up too early?

And he wasn't getting used properly, and he wasn't getting enough ice time, and he wasn't getting better linemates, and the coach didn't like him, and and and. The story with @krsmith17 was always that he fell in love with players (typically for no good reason) elevated their talent (in his mind) to absurd proportions, then blamed everything and everyone when his own unrealistic expectations failed to materialize. Hence we had "Smith the dynamic offensive defenseman" or "Mantha the elite power forward" or "Veleno the 2nd line center". I've re-posted it many time but there's one old post where he went through the Griffins lineup and projected almost every player on their roster and they're laughably bad.

Jurco isn't in the NHL because as it turns out coaches and teammates hate it when you stand around doing nothing, waiting for your linemates to win puck battles, so that you can blow the zone looking for a breakaway.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

And he wasn't getting used properly, and he wasn't getting enough ice time, and he wasn't getting better linemates, and the coach didn't like him, and and and. The story with @krsmith17 was always that he fell in love with players (typically for no good reason) elevated their talent (in his mind) to absurd proportions, then blamed everything and everyone when his own unrealistic expectations failed to materialize. Hence we had "Smith the dynamic offensive defenseman" or "Mantha the elite power forward" or "Veleno the 2nd line center". I've re-posted it many time but there's one old post where he went through the Griffins lineup and projected almost every player on their roster and they're laughably bad.

Jurco isn't in the NHL because as it turns out coaches and teammates hate it when you stand around doing nothing, waiting for your linemates to win puck battles, so that you can blow the zone looking for a breakaway.

I admit I do this a bit too.  Like with Zadina.  I just like the guy.  But he just consistently underperforms.  So Im trying to train myself to not make stupid things up to defend underpormance or get too attached.  Ive got a man crush on Eddog tho.  Gotta admit it. 

43 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I admit I do this a bit too.  Like with Zadina.  I just like the guy.  But he just consistently underperforms.  So Im trying to train myself to not make stupid things up to defend underpormance or get too attached.  Ive got a man crush on Eddog tho.  Gotta admit it. 

I’d f*ck either of them too. But only one because he’s going places in professional hockey. 

24 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

But we have Cossa...Right?

Wallstedt has been great in the ahl while Cossa has been horrid in the echl losing record and loser stats. Who saw that coming?

Wallstedt will be a allstar Vezina winning goalie Cossa might be a backup someday if were lucky.

3 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Wallstedt has been great in the ahl while Cossa has been horrid in the echl losing record and loser stats. Who saw that coming?

Wallstedt will be a allstar Vezina winning goalie Cossa might be a backup someday if were lucky.

Truth be told - I wanted Wallstedt since by most scouts analysis he was more likely to make the NHL as a regular...Maybe not flashy - although a few said they saw Lundqvist like qualities...But the 'high end potential'  of Cossa apparently won Osgood/Yzerman.

One report that really caught my attention - and I for one will claim ignorance when it comes to prospects/drafting/etc...A scout mentioned about how a guy like Cossa - playing in Major Jr in Canada - be wary of his inflated numbers when he has a good team in front of him...Inflated #'s at that level can be misleading...

Edited by F.Michael

23 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Truth be told - I wanted Wallstedt since by most scouts analysis he was more likely to make the NHL as a regular...Maybe not flashy - although a few said they saw Lundqvist like qualities...But the 'high end potential'  of Cossa apparently won Osgood/Yzerman.

One report that really caught my attention - and I for one will claim ignorance when it comes to prospects/drafting/etc...A scout mentioned about how a guy like Cossa - playing in Major Jr in Canada - be wary of his inflated numbers when he has a good team in front of him...Inflated #'s at that level can be misleading...

AGAIN - NO SWEDISH GOALIE HAS EVER WON THE STANLEY CUP.  

Translation -We dont want a Swedish goalie.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Goals already tonight for Vrana and Lombardi

edit: 2 for Vrana

plus one from Zadina and Söderblom´s shootout winner.

Vrana´s first one was a beauty, might have been difficult to fit a stamp between crossbar,puck and post.

We really need his shooting ability. Hopefully he is back on track and we will see him in a wings uniform again.