• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

2022 Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Holland takes elite cores built by others and tries to find the correct blend of old-ass players to get through playoff runs. 

Unless a GM is actively hindering the team, anyone can get that core on a playoff run.

But who can take that team deep: Ken Holland

He said when he was hired by EDM year 1 was competing for the playoffs. Year 2 was competing in the playoffs. Year 3 was competing for the cup. Its gone exactly as he said it would. 

11 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

He said when he was hired by EDM year 1 was competing for the playoffs. Year 2 was competing in the playoffs. Year 3 was competing for the cup. Its gone exactly as he said it would. 

If he doesnt get to a cup final with Edmonton, will you feel the same?

13 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

What foresight to see a team with the best core in the league compete in the playoffs and make a run in them within 3 seasons. 

Holland is once again being dragged to success by all-time great players. 

14 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

What foresight to see a team with the best core in the league compete in the playoffs and make a run in them within 3 seasons. 

agreed.  Holland is the biggest gravy trainer sports has ever seen.  

38 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I agree with some of what you said, but have some issues with the bolded. In the case of Edmonton Holland DID walk onto a team with it's core pieces intact. But that's not really what happened in Detroit. Holland was directly responsible (as Director of Amateur Scouting) for contributing significantly to the dynasty Wings teams. Any GM will admit that they defer to their scouting departments during the draft. Devellano was no different. Guys like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, McCarty, Holmstrom, and Osgood where all drafted by a Holland led scouting department. THEN, as GM, he was responsible for bringing in Hull, Hasek, Robitaille, and any number of other FA's that contributed to Cup winning teams (edit: Chelios).

He's had it easy in Edmonton, but Holland earned every bit of the success he received in Detroit.

Edit: As GM he also made key acquisitions to the 2008 winner by bringing in Rafalski, Stuart, and Drake.

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I agree with some of what you said, but have some issues with the bolded. In the case of Edmonton Holland DID walk onto a team with it's core pieces intact. But that's not really what happened in Detroit. Holland was directly responsible (as Director of Amateur Scouting) for contributing significantly to the dynasty Wings teams. Any GM will admit that they defer to their scouting departments during the draft. Devellano was no different. Guys like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, McCarty, Holmstrom, and Osgood where all drafted by a Holland led scouting department. THEN, as GM, he was responsible for bringing in Hull, Hasek, Robitaille, and any number of other FA's that contributed to Cup winning teams (edit: Chelios).

He's had it easy in Edmonton, but Holland earned every bit of the success he received in Detroit.

Edit: As GM he also made key acquisitions to the 2008 winner by bringing in Rafalski, Stuart, and Drake.

I'll admit the bolded part is most definitely an exaggeration haha.

In his scouting days, he was certainly ahead of his time. But everyone else has caught up. 

And in my defense, I did give him full credit for 2008 earlier in the thread. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Holland has spent the last 3 years cleaning up Chiarelli's ridiculous mess. And its not even done yet.

He joined a team with key players in place, but thats it. Hes augmented the roster into an actually viable playoff team. Thats what this guy does. Its his bread and butter. I wouldnt hire him to rebuild, but id hire him to bring me cups. 

Kane - the best signing of the season, Hyman, bringing back Pulju, Barrie, Ceci, Kulak, Keith his vet who knows how to go the distance. 

You Avs fanboys are gonna get rolled. 

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I still think it's cute ken Holland thought Mike Smith can get the job done.

Aso, draisaitl outscored 9-1 in the playoffs when not playing with McDavid. Maybe ppl can stop pretending he is the better player now. 

Ken Holland wont win the cup again.  Colorado is in the first year of a 5 year dominant run.  The Flames and Wild are on the rise in the West.  The Rangers, Devils, Sabers, and Redwings are all starting to rise in the East.  The Oilers look extremely outmatched against the elite teams right now.  Their depth is poor, and they dont have a good enough defense.  And agreed, Mike Smith?  Fleury was available this year.  WTF was Holland the Gravy Trainer thinking? 

53 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ken Holland wont win the cup again.  Colorado is in the first year of a 5 year dominant run.  The Flames and Wild are on the rise in the West.  The Rangers, Devils, Sabers, and Redwings are all starting to rise in the East.  The Oilers look extremely outmatched against the elite teams right now.  Their depth is poor, and they dont have a good enough defense.  And agreed, Mike Smith?  Fleury was available this year.  WTF was Holland the Gravy Trainer thinking? 

Minnesota had this one shot and missed, they are in cap hell for three more years. There´s probably a chance this year with Boldy still on entry level contract  and the dead cap "only" at $12.75m but I don´t think they will be relevant for the  foreseeable future.

37 minutes ago, ely s said:

Minnesota had this one shot and missed, they are in cap hell for three more years. There´s probably a chance this year with Boldy still on entry level contract  and the dead cap "only" at $12.75m but I don´t think they will be relevant for the  foreseeable future.

I think they are going to rebound

5 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I still think it's cute ken Holland thought Mike Smith can get the job done.

Aso, draisaitl outscored 9-1 in the playoffs when not playing with McDavid. Maybe ppl can stop pretending he is the better player now. 

Lol who the hell ever said Draisaitl is better then McDavid? McD is the best hockey player in the world and its not close.

15 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I think they are going to rebound

A tough task.

5 players to sign (incl. Fiala) and only $7.4m in cap space. They could try to move Dumba to free up cap space but that would weaken their D. It´s not an easy challenge.

26 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Lol who the hell ever said Draisaitl is better then McDavid? McD is the best hockey player in the world and its not close.

No doubt McD is the best in the world, but Draisatl is even better.