• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Zadina Effort vs Skill

Rate this topic

Is he lazy? Does he suck?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm putting this here because we don't have a Rasmussen thread, but this video compilation of all his goals from 2021-2022 just came out today. I was surprised by how many of them came on wrist shots where he beat the goalie clean. He might have one of the most underrated shots on the team.

I'm placing it here because the notion has always been that Zadina has more "skill", but has just been unlucky. But when you consider Ras had more goals, more even strength goals, more "skilled" goals, and more primary assists you have to start questioning that a little bit?

Zadina has been given more opportunity and produced slightly better then Rasmussen. Hes also a year younger. If we were to keep 1 I choose Big Ras because of his versatility but I think Zadina pops off this season. Im with those that think this is his last shot tho if he comes up short he wont be here beyond this season. For that reason I think he gets a 1yr prove it contract.

10 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Zadina has been given more opportunity and produced slightly better then Rasmussen. Hes also a year younger. If we were to keep 1 I choose Big Ras because of his versatility but I think Zadina pops off this season. Im with those that think this is his last shot tho if he comes up short he wont be here beyond this season. For that reason I think he gets a 1yr prove it contract.

Hes already signed

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That's not a "show me" contract. They can still trade him. but that seems more like they intend to keep him around for a while.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, they could trade him still, but I just meant the sub-2 million pretty much says you haven't earned the big raise, show us and we'll see. Very tradeable cap too!

He'll be 25 and RFA controlled at contracts end. This is ideal for the team. He basically has 2.5 years to increase his value enough to trade or to stay. 

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

He'll be 25 and RFA controlled at contracts end. This is ideal for the team. He basically has 2.5 years to increase his value enough to trade or to stay. 

ha.  You answered my discord question.  Something tells me Zadina is a good dude and good teammate.  The Red Wings are being very patient with him.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:05 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

The article is bad...  the same excuses we see here... its the fault of his linemates and usage, which is simply untrue. 

The contract is great, he'll be gone by no later than the end of year 1.

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well I'm not that excited that I cackled, but I like the number. For $1.8M, 20 goals is acceptable. 

For $1.8m 20pts is acceptable. Zadinas floor is 30+pt pace good for a 3w making sub$2m. If he reaches his ceiling and puts up 20+g 40+pts thats a steal at $1.8m and will get a raise in 3yrs. This is a team friendly contract specially still holding RFA status. Imo Zadina is a piece going forward but if at any point SY wants to move him he can. Theres no downside to this deal.

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well I'm not that excited that I cackled, but I like the number. For $1.8M, 20 goals is acceptable. 

Sorry Lefty. That wasn't directed at you. It was the Twitter post. Because so many fans hate Zadina and want him gone, but it looks like he's going to be around for a few more seasons.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

ha.  You answered my discord question.  Something tells me Zadina is a good dude and good teammate.  The Red Wings are being very patient with him.

SY and the Wings are optionless with Zadina. He has very little trade value at the moment. Probably had way more immedately after the draft than he does now. No other option but to get him on a reasonable contract and hope he increases his value. I like the signing. 

5 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

For $1.8m 20pts is acceptable. Zadinas floor is 30+pt pace good for a 3w making sub$2m. If he reaches his ceiling and puts up 20+g 40+pts thats a steal at $1.8m and will get a raise in 3yrs. This is a team friendly contract specially still holding RFA status. Imo Zadina is a piece going forward but if at any point SY wants to move him he can. Theres no downside to this deal.

I agree. Not like we were gonna let a 6th overall walk or something. The contract is team friendly and good on paper. SY did good. 

Unfortunately, off paper, I think Zadina is a burden at the moment. If he doesnt improve his play very soon we might regret the term on this deal. He's pretty much a ghost passenger in the D and neutral zone. In the O zone his decision making and shooting is horrible to the point he hurts the team more than he helps. He makes Samuelsson look like Alex Ovechkin. At least Sammy would hit the goalie in the logo. Zadina is constantly missing the net entirely and choosing to shoot directly into traffic. The later drives me absolutely nuts. He has a forward and defensemen in his shooting lane and he chooses to shoot anyway time and time again. The puck goes into the shinpads or wide and we have an offensive turnover and the opponent coming back the other way. Completely snuffing out our rare offensive chance. I honestly think we'd be better served replacing Zadina with someone as ineffectual as Erne or Smith on those o zone plays. At least they wouldnt take the terrible shot and commit the turnover, and their linemates would have a chance to try something. 

Ill recognize that Zadina is very young still and hopefully he improves. But im not that confident in that at this point. Hes shown absoluetly no meaningful growth through his first few seasons. Hes like yakupov in that he continuely does the same thing over n over expecting to find water in the well the 5th, 6th, 17th time. Continually choosing bad shots and shooting terribly in the off chance he doesnt. 

Hes timid in all areas of the game. He doesnt seem to have the hands to dangle and doesnt protect the puck well. He wont go to the dirty areas and is poor along the boards. But the most frustrating part for me is his poor anticipation of board scrums. He will often setup outside the board scrum while his teammate does the work waiting for the loose puck, but he almost always chooses the wrong side of the scrum. When he should be deep in the corner hes up high along the blue line. When he should be high hes low. Its so blatantly bad i feel like hes trolling me at this point. Say what you want about Babcock, but that man was a true tactictian and would have given Zadina treatment far worse than he gave Franzen for this ridiculously negligent play. 

In general hes a play killer and poor reader of the game in all zones. My worry is we continue to see no improvement this season and we have a 1.8 mil forward healthy scratched for the next 3 years. Sure we can afford that right now, but it would become a burden in year 2 and 3. 

I think he should start on line 3 with Kubalik and Suter. No PP time. We have better forwards for the PP and he will need to re-earn his spot there if he can prove he can produce at 5v5. Hopefully Lalonde and the added scoring depth on the roster can give him some better matchups and confidence and we can get him going. 

Unfortunately, i think hes way too fundamentally flawed as a player at this point. If we can get him going on the score board i think we should use that oppurtunity to sell him while his value is high. Dont cling to any delusions that hes suddenly going to be a consistently good player. 

Zadina for poolparty is a deal id entertain. Holland gets cap releif and his boy. We get another project player that at least plays with confidence and without the timidness. 

16 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Thats kind of the rule of thumb.....90 point player = 9mil/year, 80 point player = 8mil/year etc. etc etc. 20 points = 2mil/year.