• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

Hockey Canada

Rate this topic

• Something something junior players gang raped someone
  • Quebec passed a vote of no confidence in Hockey Canada suspending funding (based French Canadians)
  • Corporate sponsorships quickly getting pulled
  • Trudeau coming down on the org

Is this it Canada bros? RIP Canadian hockey?

I find what's happening in Canada really interesting. There seems to be some sort of reckoning happening and it's fascinating. Almost monthly there's some new terrible story involving rape, racism, bullying, or whatever. And of course all the prognosticators are in the background screaming "Change Hockey Culture!", which is totally bogus. There is no "hockey culture". They play hockey in Sweden, Finland, and Germany too, but miraculously they're less assholey about it. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is that in Canada these kids are treated like superstars from the time they're 15 and acquire a healthy dose of entitlement and self-righteousness along the way.

Dont know if this fixes the rapey problem, and might be a dumb question, but why does hockey canada exist...?

Like cant we just get rid of it and not replace it? Why does Canada need a governing body for an entire sport? Just let the junior leagues run their own biz. 

19 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Dont know if this fixes the rapey problem, and might be a dumb question, but why does hockey canada exist...?

Like cant we just get rid of it and not replace it? Why does Canada need a governing body for an entire sport? Just let the junior leagues run their own biz. 

Hockey Canada exists for the same reason the NCAA does in American college sports. Junior hockey in Canada is a business. A big business. Governing bodies exist to profit off this business. They are not, and never have been, about the kids playing. It's a way for non-players to siphon money off the industry.

14 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Hockey Canada exists for the same reason the NCAA does in American college sports. Junior hockey in Canada is a business. A big business. Governing bodies exist to profit off this business. They are not, and never have been, about the kids playing. It's a way for non-players to siphon money off the industry.

The whole concept of juniors is kinda f***ed IMO. High schoolers working for for profit teams for basically nothing, basically shooting their education in the foot along the way. The American way isnt perfect, but highschool teams then college seems like a preferable system.

4 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

The whole concept of juniors is kinda f***ed IMO. High schoolers working for for profit teams for basically nothing, basically shooting their education in the foot along the way. The American way isnt perfect, but highschool teams then college seems like a preferable system.

Well the US has the USHL and the USNTDP, but I think the big difference is that pretty much no American player is treated anything like an equivalent Canadian player. Like, half the puds accused of sexually assaulting this lady aren't even that good, but because they're on Team Canada they're given the keys to the city and treated like rock stars. Not surprisingly they develop an unhealthy attitude vis-a-vis the consequences of their behaviors and how their actions affect other people. Jack Hughes or Jack Eichel are probably the best American players to come from the US system in the last 10 years or so, and while they both have some entitlement issues and definitely have oversized egos, is there any doubt how much worse they'd be if they were Canadian? s***, Canada got their hands on Matthews as an NHLer and now he's posing in fashion magazines and hanging with Beeber. That kind of adulation is bad enough for a 20-something, but WAY worse for a 16 year old.

31 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Well the US has the USHL and the USNTDP, but I think the big difference is that pretty much no American player is treated anything like an equivalent Canadian player. Like, half the puds accused of sexually assaulting this lady aren't even that good, but because they're on Team Canada they're given the keys to the city and treated like rock stars. Not surprisingly they develop an unhealthy attitude vis-a-vis the consequences of their behaviors and how their actions affect other people. Jack Hughes or Jack Eichel are probably the best American players to come from the US system in the last 10 years or so, and while they both have some entitlement issues and definitely have oversized egos, is there any doubt how much worse they'd be if they were Canadian? s***, Canada got their hands on Matthews as an NHLer and now he's posing in fashion magazines and hanging with Beeber. That kind of adulation is bad enough for a 20-something, but WAY worse for a 16 year old.

No way to really fix this. 

Havent spent much time around pro athletes, except for Michael Phelps (we trained at the same pool). Guy was the most entitled doosh bag ive ever witnessed. Some stars are just gonna turm out that way i guess. 

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

JEALOUS!!!

Imagine you sent your son to hockey practice and his idol Steve Yzerman showed up. But Steve proceeds to have a tantrum cause "the ice is too cold", tells all the kids they all blow at hockey, cusses out the coaches in front of everyone, and then breaks his stick and leaves after ten minutes.

Phelps did the swimming equivalent of that on almost a daily basis. Made kids cry and the whole 9. Everyone hated him. He probably only trained for a few hours a week in the summer. He's just so genetically perfectly designed for swimming it didn't seem to slow him. 

15 hours ago, bIueadams said:

When I say something would pop up in its place once it dies, all I really mean is some sort of committee that makes decisions for IIHF tournaments and whatnot. At some level, someone has to appoint somebody who chooses coaching staff, rosters, etc. We certainly do not need some shady governing body like Hockey Canada, however. 

14 hours ago, kipwinger said:

To be fair, the Mathews thing is more of a Toronto thing than a Canada thing. Toronto is a whole different beast in relation to the rest of Canada as far as hockey sponsorships and what not go. 

11 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Imagine you sent your son to hockey practice and his idol Steve Yzerman showed up. But Steve proceeds to have a tantrum cause "the ice is too cold", tells all the kids they all blow at hockey, cusses out the coaches in front of everyone, and then breaks his stick and leaves after ten minutes.

Phelps did the swimming equivalent of that on almost a daily basis. Made kids cry and the whole 9. Everyone hated him. He probably only trained for a few hours a week in the summer. He's just so genetically perfectly designed for swimming it didn't seem to slow him. 

sounds like somebody needed to pop him in the face

20 hours ago, kipwinger said:

And like clockwork...

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

And like clockwork...

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

If Jonathan Tayes was a better leader, none of this would have happened.

Tom Renney has been using hockey canada to launder money for Toews and Kanes rape diamond operation. Every year prospects are coerced through rape to work in these dangerous mines. Westhead is finally connecting the dots. 

Organizations have been policing bodies, in particular women's bodies, for a long long time. I'm not sure why anyone would be outraged about this but have no problem when schools/teams/employers/etc. require women to cover up or wear bras or whatever.

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Organizations have been policing bodies, in particular women's bodies, for a long long time. I'm not sure why anyone would be outraged about this but have no problem when schools/teams/employers/etc. require women to cover up or wear bras or whatever.

When has anyone required women to cover up in dressing rooms or in the showers?

(I only read the title in the link. I never click on any of his links)

16 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

When has anyone required women to cover up in dressing rooms or in the showers?

(I only read the title in the link. I never click on any of his links)

You must not have daughters. Girls, including middle and high school girls, are routinely told exactly which kinds of underwear they're allowed to wear, and when they must be worn, in order to participate in school/sport. These types of morality policing have existed in women's athletic spaces for years, all done in the name of "modesty" or "purity". Telling a young lady what kind of underwear she must wear in the name of modesty is not much different than telling young boys what undergarments they must wear in the name of inclusivity.

Or (as I'd prefer it) you'd let men and women choose for themselves what to wear and when. I just find the selective outrage humorous because similar s*** has been happening in sports for years and nobody cared.

Edited by kipwinger

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

"This isn't just about gender, it's about everyone being comfortable," said Robinson. "Coaches can't always visually identify and automatically know what gender someone identifies with, so this just allows everybody to fit into that dressing room."

Robinson admits there has been some pushback from parents to the Hockey Canada change. He says they have legitimate hygiene concerns when it comes to sweaty and smelly under gear being worn to and from the rink. But he says it is a small price to pay to make sure that hockey is inclusive for everybody.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You must not have daughters. Girls, including middle and high school girls, are routinely told exactly which kinds of underwear they're allowed to wear, and when they must be worn, in order to participate in school/sport. These types of morality policing have existed in women's athletic spaces for years, all done in the name of "modesty" or "purity". Telling a young lady what kind of underwear she must wear in the name of modesty is not much different than telling young boys what undergarments they must wear in the name of inclusivity.

Or (as I'd prefer it) you'd let men and women choose for themselves what to wear and when. I just find the selective outrage humorous because similar s*** has been happening in sports for years and nobody cared.

Literally never heard of this

2 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

"This isn't just about gender, it's about everyone being comfortable," said Robinson. "Coaches can't always visually identify and automatically know what gender someone identifies with, so this just allows everybody to fit into that dressing room."

Robinson admits there has been some pushback from parents to the Hockey Canada change. He says they have legitimate hygiene concerns when it comes to sweaty and smelly under gear being worn to and from the rink. But he says it is a small price to pay to make sure that hockey is inclusive for everybody.

So the girls, and trans kids, have to do it too? Sounds pretty fair to me.

1 minute ago, bIueadams said:

Nudity banned

You hippies really pulled a 180

It's just us hippies trying to compromise. For years puritanical christian weirdos and their enablers have done their level best to de-sex public spaces. Sex is a sinful (unless done in a church sanctioned manner) and nude bodies are shameful and should be hidden from view. Hockey Canada agrees. Keep your gross bodies covered up at all times and nobody will ever have to deal with the discomfort of being sexually aroused occasionally. I'd imagine the Staal brothers will be fully supportive of this endeavor.

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's just us hippies trying to compromise. For years puritanical christian weirdos and their enablers have done their level best to de-sex public spaces. Sex is a sinful (unless done in a church sanctioned manner) and nude bodies are shameful and should be hidden from view. Hockey Canada agrees. Keep your gross bodies covered up at all times and nobody will ever have to deal with the discomfort of being sexually aroused occasionally. I'd imagine the Staal brothers will be fully supportive of this endeavor.

Staal bros ain't the saints some think...Mooning motorists and all.

Staal brothers Eric and Jordan among group arrested in bachelor party incident - The Hockey News