• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Murray

What's the latest on Vrana and Fabbri?

Rate this topic

Things seem to be going pretty well so far with the revamped Wings this season, and with Bertuzzi back in the lineup it's only a matter of time before he starts hitting the scoresheet again regularly.  I haven't seen much (if anything) recently on the return status of both Jakub Vrana and Robby Fabbri - does anyone have any insight into those situations?  Also, how is Edvinsson doing at GR?

Edited by Chuck Murray

25 minutes ago, Chuck Murray said:

Things seem to be going pretty well so far with the revamped Wings this season, and with Bertuzzi back in the lineup it's only a matter of time before he starts hitting the scoresheet again regularly.  I haven't seen much (if anything) recently on the return status of both Jakub Vrana and Robby Fabbri - does anyone have any insight into those situations?  Also, how is Edvinsson doing at GR?

Edvinsson - has been playing VERY well in GR. Hitting the score sheet almost every night. But he got covid recently and missed some time. Think he's back now, but I haven't seen him play since his return.

Fabbri - Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't think he's expected to return until after Christmas. Another ACL injury. Will be interesting to see if he's still the same player when he returns. I honestly would not re-sign him after this contract based on his injury history. This last extension was probably a mistake. 

Vrana - Once a player enters the assistance program they have to be in it and sout for a min of 30 days. That time has already passed and he's still not back, which is concerning. Speculation is it's cocaine (from his time with the caps), pain killers (because of his injuries), or alcohol (common reason). He could be back tomorrow. He could be out all season. No one has a clue, and maybe not even the Wings either. 

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

Edvinsson - has been playing VERY well in GR. Hitting the score sheet almost every night. But he got covid recently and missed some time. Think he's back now, but I haven't seen him play since his return.

Fabbri - Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't think he's expected to return until after Christmas. Another ACL injury. Will be interesting to see if he's still the same player when he returns. I honestly would not re-sign him after this contract based on his injury history. This last extension was probably a mistake. 

Vrana - Once a player enters the assistance program they have to be in it and sout for a min of 30 days. That time has already passed and he's still not back, which is concerning. Speculation is it's cocaine (from his time with the caps), pain killers (because of his injuries), or alcohol (common reason). He could be back tomorrow. He could be out all season. No one has a clue, and maybe not even the Wings either. 

The problem with Vrana is its NOT dedication to his profession.  This better snap him out of it.  He's pissing away a lot od talent.

Has any player that has successfully graduated from the assistance program  ever been traded? 

If Stevie Y wanted to move on I would assume Vrana's stock would be quite a bit lower now. 

Still like the Mantha trade, we used the 1st to trade up for Mr. Huge Question Mark goalie Cossa and Make Magic For Us Dmitri Buchelnikov.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, town123 said:

Has any player that has successfully graduated from the assistance program  ever been traded? 

If Stevie Y wanted to move on I would assume Vrana's stock would be quite a bit lower now. 

Still like the Mantha trade, we used the 1st to trade up for Mr. Huge Question Mark goalie Cossa and Make Magic For Us Dmitri Buchelnikov.

Robin Lehner was traded a few years after his drug/alcohol problems in Buffalo. Buffalo let him go UFA and then he signed a 1 year with the Isles, then a 1 year with the Hawks who flipped him at the TDL to Vegas. I don't remember if he actually entered official NHL assistance program with Buffalo, but he was pretty public about his issues and I know he went to rehab for it.

Without speculating, I'm not really that worried about Vrana. All these guys use painkillers to one extent or another, and a lot of them abuse cocaine/alcohol recreationally. It's not like Vrana's career was going into the gutter like Bobby Ryan and THEN he decided to get help. He was in his prime and playing well, but recognized he had a problem he needed to fix. Which is good.

I guess the worry is that he might be another Hudler. Party animal that brings coke on planes, drinks himself stupid, and buys hookers in every town. If that's the case I trust SY to handle it. Stevie seems to have a very low tolerance for BS. I can see him telling Vrana you either get into the PA program now or you're done in Detroit. And if he can't keep his nose clean after this good riddance. Trade him for what we can get. We have plenty of good wingers.

The trade tree for that right now looks like this in terms of what everyone received:

WSH: Mantha
DET: Vrana + Sundqvist + Walman + Staal + Gagner (90%) + H. Verbeek + DAL 1st (Cossa) + WSH 2nd (Buchnelikov) + VAN 2nd (Niederbach) + LAK 4th (Stange) + STL 2nd
DAL: WSH 1st (Johnston) + NYR 2nd (Grushnikov) + OTT 5th (Bar)
NYI: EDM 2nd (Raty) + Richard Panik (50%)
STL: Leddy (50%) + Witkowski
EDM: Athanasiou + Kuffner
NYR: Future Considerations
LAK: EDM 2nd (Faber) + Schaller + Madden
MTL: Merrill
VAN: Toffoli

We walked away with a very nice haul from all those trades.  

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

Robin Lehner was traded a few years after his drug/alcohol problems in Buffalo. Buffalo let him go UFA and then he signed a 1 year with the Isles, then a 1 year with the Hawks who flipped him at the TDL to Vegas. I don't remember if he actually entered official NHL assistance program with Buffalo, but he was pretty public about his issues and I know he went to rehab for it.

Without speculating, I'm not really that worried about Vrana. All these guys use painkillers to one extent or another, and a lot of them abuse cocaine/alcohol recreationally. It's not like Vrana's career was going into the gutter like Bobby Ryan and THEN he decided to get help. He was in his prime and playing well, but recognized he had a problem he needed to fix. Which is good.

I guess the worry is that he might be another Hudler. Party animal that brings coke on planes, drinks himself stupid, and buys hookers in every town. If that's the case I trust SY to handle it. Stevie seems to have a very low tolerance for BS. I can see him telling Vrana you either get into the PA program now or you're done in Detroit. And if he can't keep his nose clean after this good riddance. Trade him for what we can get. We have plenty of good wingers.

The trade tree for that right now looks like this in terms of what everyone received:

WSH: Mantha
DET: Vrana + Sundqvist + Walman + Staal + Gagner (90%) + H. Verbeek + DAL 1st (Cossa) + WSH 2nd (Buchnelikov) + VAN 2nd (Niederbach) + LAK 4th (Stange) + STL 2nd
DAL: WSH 1st (Johnston) + NYR 2nd (Grushnikov) + OTT 5th (Bar)
NYI: EDM 2nd (Raty) + Richard Panik (50%)
STL: Leddy (50%) + Witkowski
EDM: Athanasiou + Kuffner
NYR: Future Considerations
LAK: EDM 2nd (Faber) + Schaller + Madden
MTL: Merrill
VAN: Toffoli

We walked away with a very nice haul from all those trades.  

I hope he turns it around.

The more ammo at the TDL the better, not that I want to lose anyone.   I just can't see SY losing any bigger name UFA's for nothing if they haven't signed an extension by then.   We may need Vrana if we lose Bert