• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Walman6million

2023 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, kliq said:

It does suck, but I'd still do it all over again. Mantha has been brutal on Washington often being a healthy scratch, so the way I look at it is we got Cossa for Mantha. IMO it went from being a steal to just a win.

Trade tree from the Mantha Trade:

Jakob Vrana: traded for 7th rd pick and Dylan McLaughlin

2021 1st round pick:  Sebastian Cossa

2022 2nd round pick: Dmitri Buchelnikov

Richard Panik: traded with a 2nd round pick for Nick Leddy...who was later traded with Luke Witkowski for another 2nd round pick + Oskar Sundqvist + Jake Walman

So basically, the assets from Mantha got the Wings: Cossa, Buchelnikov, Walman, Sundqvist, McLaughlin and a 2nd and 7th round pick this summer.

And the Caps got Mantha and his whopping 55 points since the trade.

Still a big win for SteveYzerman.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I envisioned you filling in for Yzerman on draft day and selecting little known, midget b defenseman JJ Bernard out of Regina, Saskatoon.

Oops!

Regina and Saskatoon are both cities in Saskatchewan.

3 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

Trade tree from the Mantha Trade:

Jakob Vrana: traded for 7th rd pick and Dylan McLaughlin

2021 1st round pick:  Sebastian Cossa

2022 2nd round pick: Dmitri Buchelnikov

Richard Panik: traded with a 2nd round pick for Nick Leddy...who was later traded with Luke Witkowski for another 2nd round pick + Oskar Sundqvist + Jake Walman

So basically, the assets from Mantha got the Wings: Cossa, Buchelnikov, Walman, Sundqvist, McLaughlin and a 2nd and 7th round pick this summer.

And the Caps got Mantha and his whopping 55 points since the trade.

Still a big win for SteveYzerman.

Regina and Saskatoon are both cities in Saskatchewan.

thats right!  saskatchewan is what i meant.  good catch

On 3/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, Walman6million said:

There's a statement from Tom Wilson back when Vrana entered the league. He basically says Jakub is a party animal and hes worried about him.

So this is more than likely a substance abuse issue. He probably went through PAP and relapsed right away. Stevie saw what happened to Probie and Dmac and doesnt want that around his team.

Another Happy Hudler. Those crazy Czechs.

5 hours ago, redw1ngs said:
Nobody in there right mind would ever trade the Bedard pick would love to hear your big brain plan tho.

reread the post

More comments from the Wings fan living in the Toronto area. Dubas keeps getting taken advantage of in trades. He's giving up 1st round picks for average players in their late 20's, early 30's. Acciari, Lafferty, McCabe, and Schenn are meh players. O'Reilly and Gustafsson are decent pick ups, but Dubas gave up too much to get them.

I remember what it was like in Detroit in 1993-1996. I'm really shocked Dubas still has a job, and the fans and media haven't run him out of town.

The Leafs really only have one, maybe two years left. There's nothing left for the future. Tavares is gone soon, and they'll have to let Nylander walk to try and keep Matthews and Marner.

I said all that, to say, I don't mind Stevie trading Bertuzzi and Hronek for picks. Think of the future, while Toronto and Boston go all in this year. Tampa will still be good for a while, but there will be a changing of the guard soon in the Atlantic.

Two things I've found interesting lately:

1. In the post TDL press conference SY states "under no circumstance was I going to buy this year". Glad he is not weak like me and buys into the hype. He's sticking to the plan and vision for this team even if we do beat Ottawa.

2. There's an interesting theory about the JVR trade I've seen. The traditional narrative is: SY was going to get him, retain salary, and flip him. But it fell through. But this explanation doesn't make much sense when looked at closely. Why would Philly need Detroit to retain? They'd be better off dealing JVR directly to the receiving team...they're a bad team just like us.

The interesting theory I've seen is that this JVR trade was a farce on SY's behalf from the beginning. He let loose that we was trying to acquire JVR to see where the leaks were in those around him. Operation identify the rats. Interestingly enough, Friedman deleted his tweets about the JVR rumors...

7 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Two things I've found interesting lately:

1. In the post TDL press conference SY states "under no circumstance was I going to buy this year". Glad he is not weak like me and buys into the hype. He's sticking to the plan and vision for this team even if we do beat Ottawa.

2. There's an interesting theory about the JVR trade I've seen. The traditional narrative is: SY was going to get him, retain salary, and flip him. But it fell through. But this explanation doesn't make much sense when looked at closely. Why would Philly need Detroit to retain? They'd be better off dealing JVR directly to the receiving team...they're a bad team just like us.

The interesting theory I've seen is that this JVR trade was a farce on SY's behalf from the beginning. He let loose that we was trying to acquire JVR to see where the leaks were in those around him. Operation identify the rats. Interestingly enough, Friedman deleted his tweets about the JVR rumors...

Such an Yzerman thing to do.

10 hours ago, Walman6million said:

I think its more likely that Chuck Fletcher is a complete idiot. He probably was holding fast on not retaining thinking that JVR should give a good enough return anyway. Then he heard was Ol' Sneaky Steve was up too and pulled out of the deal afraid to look like the fool he is. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:51 PM, Rick D said:

Interesting story about how the wings have turned a trade into a stack of prospects and picks. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-mirco-mueller-trade-tree/

ngcb58

This is kinda misleading and oversimplified. You have to consider the other trades that it took to get assets like Leddy and others which loops in other trades like AA and Marc Staal,

I mapped out the entire tree once in a dedicated thread (that has since been deleted by Matt, as he purged every thread my past profile ever created) and it ended up looking pretty 50/50 Wings v trade partners. I believe Kip even pointed it out.  But I guess its still a win at the end of the day because we gained a lot of youth overall with all these connected trades.

One thing Yzerman is grand at (usually) is gaining something that GM's want or undervalued, and then flipping it for something HE wants.

Edited by Walman6million

1 hour ago, Walman6million said:

This is kinda misleading and oversimplified. You have to consider the other trades that it took to get assets like Leddy and others which loops in other trades like AA and Marc Staal,

I mapped out the entire tree once in a dedicated thread (that has since been deleted by Matt, as he purged every thread my past profile ever created) and it ended up looking pretty 50/50 Wings v trade partners. I believe Kip even pointed it out.  But I guess its still a win at the end of the day because we gained a lot of youth overall with all these connected trades.

One thing Yzerman is grand at (usually) is gaining something that GM's want or undervalued, and then flipping it for something HE wants.

I was looking for your thread the other day.  No wonder I couldnt find it.  Thats G A Y.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:56 PM, Walman6million said:

So from the Datsyuk trade we essentially only got Hronek and cap relief. Hronek becomes a 1st and 2nd (minus a 4th).

Arizona got Chychrun and dead cap. Chychrun is now a 1st and two 2nds.

So we essentially spent one 2nd/3rdish pick to dump Datsyuk.

Too bad, it would actually probably look like we GAINED by dumping Datsyuk's contract if Holland hadn't drafted some loser from the BCHL named Cholowski. Oh and also he spent all the cap relief on Nielsen and Vanek.

Imagine if we had got Chychrun that year in the draft and kept Datysuk's salary.

Tatar - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha
Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening
Miller - Sheahan - Ott

Kronwall - Green
Chychrun - Jensen
Dekeyser - Ericsson
Smith/Ouellet

Howard
Mrazek