• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

GDT 4/2/23 Wings @ Maple Leafs: The Kaspering

Rate this topic

Was at the Seattle Thunderbirds game last night and half way through the game it registered in my brain that my old fishing buddy who scouts the WHL for the Islanders might be there. Sure enough I went up to the top balcony and he was there. He was scouting the thunderbird goalies and Gracyn Sawchyn apparently. (I wouldn't mind drafting Sawchyn)

But anyway, he's a michigan guy so of course I asked what he thought about the Wings these days. He said Kasper and Edvinsson are super exciting prospects. And he puts Kasper at the same level as Barzal (who he was heavily responsible for in scouting for the Isles).

The only other thing we really talked about of note besides fishing, was Korchinski. Chicago drafted this kid right ahead of Kasper. Bros, he's super good. Excellent skating, excellent passing, QBs basically every play, plays high like a forward and loves to rack up assists. We're going to have to deal with that from Chiacgo soon.

He looked pretty good to me.   Only one shift I thought he was behind the pace and then putting his hand on the puck on another shift.   Otherwise, wow, finding his guy in our d-zone, smacking folks and driving the net.   

How many games has Eddog played for us?   He can't go over 10 right?   Or does that not matter now.

I agree that Kasper looked fine. He definitely looked like a kid who just got thrown into the deep end (which he was) but he kept up and didn't look overwhelmed. I obviously really liked him kicking off the scrum that got Bunting ejected. I really like this approach with Kasper. Give him a few games to see how hard and how fast the NHL is and then give him an entire offseason to work on things before camp. He'll be ready.

As far as Edvinsson goes, he can't play more than 8 games or else he'll burn a year on his entry level deal but the team has already said they're not going to cross that threshold.

Edited by kipwinger

He's already really really hard for forwards to beat. His defense is already so good and he's a super heads up passer. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter at a young age. Probably not gonna score a ton of goals, but will have 40 assists per season (or whatever) and be an absolute rock defensively. During that scrum with all the young guys and Bunting I was thinking to myself "I can't wait until our guys fill out" because you can just see we've got a bunch of workhorses who still have teenager bodies. When Edvinsson is 6'6 and 225-230 lbs and strong he's never going to lose a puck battle.

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

He's already really really hard for forwards to beat. His defense is already so good and he's a super heads up passer. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter at a young age. Probably not gonna score a ton of goals, but will have 40 assists per season (or whatever) and be an absolute rock defensively. During that scrum with all the young guys and Bunting I was thinking to myself "I can't wait until our guys fill out" because you can just see we've got a bunch of workhorses who still have teenager bodies. When Edvinsson is 6'6 and 225-230 lbs and strong he's never going to lose a puck battle.

Edvinsson's ceiling is going to depend entirely on Yzerman and whether or not Stevie pulls his head out of his ass and cleans up the non existant OFF ICE / OFF SEASON gains the team cant seem to make.  If all these Euros go "home" during the off season and play pickleball and PS5 with their little brothers, they wont get any better.  If Yzerman can develop a culture of these guys all making Detroit their home and they all train together over the summer, sky is the limit.  Moritz Seider and Lucas Raymond had mediocre seasons this year because they both jerked off last summer.  The NHL is a full time job.  Yzerman needs to set that tone.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Edvinsson's ceiling is going to depend entirely on Yzerman and whether or not Stevie pulls his head out of his ass and cleans up the non existant OFF ICE / OFF SEASON gains the team cant seem to make.  If all these Euros go "home" during the off season and play pickleball and PS5 with their little brothers, they wont get any better.  If Yzerman can develop a culture of these guys all making Detroit their home and they all train together over the summer, sky is the limit.  Moritz Seider and Lucas Raymond had mediocre seasons this year because they both jerked off last summer.  The NHL is a full time job.  Yzerman needs to set that tone.

For what it's worth, I saw in an interview with Villi Husso that he plans to spend the offseason in Detroit. Not sure if that's the plan for other guys or not. I'd definitely like to see all of our young guns (Raymond, Kasper, Mazur, Wallinder, and Edvinsson) on the Michael Rasmussen training plan though. Raymond especially needs work in the size AND speed department. The rest of those guys just need to fill out.

1 hour ago, town123 said:

He looked pretty good to me.   Only one shift I thought he was behind the pace and then putting his hand on the puck on another shift.   Otherwise, wow, finding his guy in our d-zone, smacking folks and driving the net.   

How many games has Eddog played for us?   He can't go over 10 right?   Or does that not matter now.

48 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I agree that Kasper looked fine. He definitely looked like a kid who just got thrown into the deep end (which he was) but he kept up and didn't look overwhelmed. I obviously really liked him kicking off the scrum that got Bunting ejected. I really like this approach with Kasper. Give him a few games to see how hard and how fast the NHL is and then give him an entire offseason to work on things before camp. He'll be ready.

As far as Edvinsson goes, he can't play more than 8 games or else he'll burn a year on his entry level deal but the team has already said they're not going to cross that threshold.

Considering this is his first time ever competeing on NA ice, and hes barely practiced with our team, id say he did pretty freaking good for an 18 year old 2C lol. Hes got the fearless gene like Seider and Bert. Hes gonna move Larkin to 2C where he belongs in the next few seasons. The Wings didnt even trust Larkin to play center at this age...

I think the Wings should let Eddogg play past 9 games. We know hes a stud in the making, so burn an ELC year and get him on a longer contract at lower AAV sooner.

2 hours ago, town123 said:

I'm pretty sure it's nine games before you burn off a year of the ELC

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yzerman needs some dudes who are willing to do what it takes…

2A4D83D2-251B-4299-A02F-CAD74986D35D.jpeg

2F74B51D-D2F3-431B-86C8-903AA9D6AFD8.jpeg

Edited by F.Michael

16 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Yzerman needs some dudes who are willing to do what it takes…

2A4D83D2-251B-4299-A02F-CAD74986D35D.jpeg

I never understood why Zed and company had southern accents in that movie. They were in LA. 

Would be sick if SY just signed Lucic and Gudas and called it an offseason. 

49 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Yea that movie sucks. 

You wouldn’t know a good movie if it jumped up and bit you in the schmeckel.

49 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Tarantino only made it so he could say the N word. 

That’s like every movie of his.

Edited by F.Michael

6 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Considering this is his first time ever competeing on NA ice, and hes barely practiced with our team, id say he did pretty freaking good for an 18 year old 2C lol. Hes got the fearless gene like Seider and Bert. Hes gonna move Larkin to 2C where he belongs in the next few seasons. The Wings didnt even trust Larkin to play center at this age...

I think the Wings should let Eddogg play past 9 games. We know hes a stud in the making, so burn an ELC year and get him on a longer contract at lower AAV sooner.

Kasper is not pushing Larkin down. Copp maybe, but not Larkin.

1 hour ago, Walman6million said:

Kasper is gonna be a 90 pt selke caliber powerfoward center by age 23

Larkin is f***ed bro

I've seen people compare Kasper to Zetterberg, and minus the power forward part, a 90 point selke caliber center sounds a lot like Zetterberg 

5 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

I've seen people compare Kasper to Zetterberg, and minus the power forward part, a 90 point selke caliber center sounds a lot like Zetterberg 

Kasper just plays a more in your face aggressive style than Zberg I'd say