• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Walman6million

2023 Playoffs General Thread

Rate this topic

55 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Bedard to Chicago...

FLA and VGK in the finals...

Anybody else starting to suspect the playoffs are rigged?

yeah. that final is going to be a big money maker for the league. clearly the 2 teams they wanted there.

15 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

yeah. that final is going to be a big money maker for the league. clearly the 2 teams they wanted there.

Arizona folding. Sunbelt needed a win. It's genius actually. Too genius to not be rigged.

I think my favorite thing about the playoffs has been how wrong all the so-called experts have been about everything, pretty much the whole way through. I listen to a lot of hockey podcasts and it's always fun to observe the awkward silence when someone makes a "Toronto is clearly the better team here" comment before a series, and then not even bother to address how wrong they were afterward.

-Boston will run away with the Cup

-You never bet against McDavid and Draisaitl

-Toronto's outplaying Florida all over the ice

-Dallas is the most complete team left in the playoffs

What's especially fun about it is that almost all of these declarations were obviously flawed to begin with, but nobody in hockey media bothers to think about things before they say it. It's social media mentality flooding into everyday interactions. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it only matters if a bunch of people agree with it.

-Boston's top six centers are injured and 87 years old.

-If Draisaitl and McDavid were such an unstoppable duo why didn't Edmonton win their division?

-Toronto's offense is almost entirely dependent on powerplay goals

-Dallas' goaltending has been a no-show for two rounds.

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I think my favorite thing about the playoffs has been how wrong all the so-called experts have been about everything, pretty much the whole way through. I listen to a lot of hockey podcasts and it's always fun to observe the awkward silence when someone makes a "Toronto is clearly the better team here" comment before a series, and then not even bother to address how wrong they were afterward.

-Boston will run away with the Cup

-You never bet against McDavid and Draisaitl

-Toronto's outplaying Florida all over the ice

-Dallas is the most complete team left in the playoffs

What's especially fun about it is that almost all of these declarations were obviously flawed to begin with, but nobody in hockey media bothers to think about things before they say it. It's social media mentality flooding into everyday interactions. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it only matters if a bunch of people agree with it.

-Boston's top six centers are injured and 87 years old.

-If Draisaitl and McDavid were such an unstoppable duo why didn't Edmonton win their division?

-Toronto's offense is almost entirely dependent on powerplay goals

-Dallas' goaltending has been a no-show for two rounds.

i got the Fla upset over Boston right, but completely biffed the 2nd round on.  Count me in on the know nothings.  One thing I do know now is that its better to have a team of (20) 6's that are tough, than a team with (4) 10's and (16) 4's that aren't tough.

8 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

i got the Fla upset over Boston right, but completely biffed the 2nd round on.  Count me in on the know nothings.  One thing I do know now is that its better to have a team of (20) 6's that are tough, than a team with (4) 10's and (16) 4's that aren't tough.

It's not that I expect everyone to get it right all the time, I don't (and didn't). It's that the margins are razor thin in the NHL and it seems odd to me that none of the so-called experts A) acknowledge this, and B) ask themselves "are there any valid points that go against my line of thinking". It's just "durrr...McDavid...durrr". I expect that from fans, but it's fun to watch the media guys do it and then flounder.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's not that I expect everyone to get it right all the time, I don't (and didn't). It's that the margins are razor thin in the NHL and it seems odd to me that none of the so-called experts A) acknowledge this, and B) ask themselves "are there any valid points that go against my line of thinking". It's just "durrr...McDavid...durrr". I expect that from fans, but it's fun to watch the media guys do it and then flounder.

Yah, it's odd considering the past too.  The winner has been unexpected very frequently.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yah, it's odd considering the past too.  The winner has been unexpected very frequently.

I agree with the first part, but don't agree with the 2nd part. The past DOES give an indication of what's going to happen. But the winner ISN'T unexpected IMO. For example, if winning the President's trophy made you a Cup favorite then why do most President's Trophy winners not win the Cup? Likewise, if having the best player in the world makes you a Cup favorite then why have guys like Gretzky, Crosby, and McDavid lost far more often than they've won in the playoffs? How many times in the past have we seen goaltending win or a lose a series for a team that clearly didn't deserve that outcome otherwise? It happens ALL the time. Yet you can almost set your watch to it. Next season the same dumb dumbs will say the same stuff...almost certainly because their job is to sell interesting narratives and not to actually say anything intelligent about the game.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I agree with the first part, but don't agree with the 2nd part. The past DOES give an indication of what's going to happen. But the winner ISN'T unexpected IMO. For example, if winning the President's trophy made you a Cup favorite then why do most President's Trophy winners not win the Cup? Likewise, if having the best player in the world makes you a Cup favorite then why have guys like Gretzky, Crosby, and McDavid lost far more often than they've won in the playoffs? How many times in the past have we seen goaltending win or a lose a series for a team that clearly didn't deserve that outcome otherwise? It happens ALL the time. Yet you can almost set your watch to it. Next season the same dumb dumbs will say the same stuff...almost certainly because their job is to sell interesting narratives and not to actually say anything intelligent about the game.

We're agreeing.  It's ok for us to agree, Kip!

Shout out to Jamie Benn for running away from the media last night after failing miserably to provide quality leadership to his team in arguably the most important game of his career. Who knew that the consequences of your actions could be so damaging to one's own psyche?

49 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

The only 3 things I correctly predicted were Toronto making it beyond round 1, Boston losing in the first round, and Edmonton not sniffing the final 4. All kinds of wrong outside of that though.

Those are three pretty significant things to get right tho. So kudos to you. You've clearly demonstrated that you're able to think about the game more intelligently any almost every single one of your countrymen.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

To be honest once Toronto actually won a round I figured a huge push by the league to have a McJesus vs Matthews final.

my bracket reflects this.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

The only 3 things I correctly predicted were Toronto making it beyond round 1, Boston losing in the first round, and Edmonton not sniffing the final 4. All kinds of wrong outside of that though.

I got 2 of these right.  After round 1, I failed miserably.