• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2023 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Is this draft really that deep for the top 43?   Where is the drop off point for packaging picks to have three 1st rounders or two picks better than 9 + 17?

I'd be looking for teams with no 2nd rounders to try and trade up,   Philly (7) , St. Louis (10), and Vancouver (11).   Am I missing anyone?

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Add in Boston pick next year

The level of talent from 8 to 20 something is too great. They aren't trading that pick.

We would have to trade 9 and the NYI pick to get 8.

Edited by Axl Foley

23 hours ago, Walman6million said:

I'm on the Dvorsky train assuming Moore/Smith and all that are taken

12 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im on the Reinbacher train.

Seider

Reinbacher

Tuomisto

Grans (for Maatta and 2024 Boston 1st)

Walman

Edvinsson

Johansson

Wallinder

I think my current 1-2-3 is Dvorsky, Moore, Reinbacher. I like that we're all kinda on roughly the same page.

Edited by Dabura

The Boston first-rounder is probably the only shot Yzerman has at a lottery pick tbh. With the offseason the Bruins have coming up, it's very plausible that they could finish bottom 10 next season, bumping the pick to 2025. If that happens, they may be ripe for a rebuild going into the 24/25 season. 

They will likely lose their two top centers, they can't afford Bert, and when factoring in cap penalties they have like 6 million to fill out half a roster. Hard times ahead. Hang on to that pick. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

The Boston first-rounder is probably the only shot Yzerman has at a lottery pick tbh. With the offseason the Bruins have coming up, it's very plausible that they could finish bottom 10 next season, bumping the pick to 2025. If that happens, they may be ripe for a rebuild going into the 24/25 season. 

They will likely lose their two top centers, they can't afford Bert, and when factoring in cap penalties they have like 6 million to fill out half a roster. Hard times ahead. Hang on to that pick. 

They got 73 mil tied up in 14 players.  Theyre going to lose Bergeron and Bertuzzi, but should be able to fill out their roster with 9 younger guys at 1 mil each.  I think they will stillbe strong next season.

38 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

They got 73 mil tied up in 14 players.  Theyre going to lose Bergeron and Bertuzzi, but should be able to fill out their roster with 9 younger guys at 1 mil each.  I think they will stillbe strong next season.

they also have over 4 mil in cap penalties for Bergeron and Krejci contracts. The latter of which they will also likely lose this summer. They won't have a top 6 center and will have about 6 mil to fill half of an entire roster. It's much more bleak than you make it seem. They have to move salary and litter their roster with league min contracts. 10 roster spots to be filled with ~6 million. gl;hf. 

Their goalie duo will likely have to be broken up. So trade their Vezina season goalie or lose the promising young gun. 

While I don't forsee them being a basement team yet, a bottom 10 finish is very possible.  

Edited by marcaractac

13 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

they also have over 4 mil in cap penalties for Bergeron and Krejci contracts. The latter of which they will also likely lose this summer. They won't have a top 6 center and will have about 6 mil to fill half of an entire roster. It's much more bleak than you make it seem. They have to move salary and litter their roster with league min contracts. 10 roster spots to be filled with ~6 million. gl;hf. 

Their goalie duo will likely have to be broken up. So trade their Vezina season goalie or lose the promising young gun. 

While I don't forsee them being a basement team yet, a bottom 10 finish is very possible.  

No chance.  They'll find a way.  Trading Ullmark will give them enough room.  Would like to see us take Trent Frederic off their hands.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

No chance.  They'll find a way.  Trading Ullmark will give them enough room.  Would like to see us take Trent Frederic off their hands.

They still have nothing down the middle. And no assets to make big trades. Trading Ulmark allows them to fill 10 roster spots for little more than the league minimum. Unless Bergeron and Krejci give it another year, it's pretty bleak. 

Trading Grzelcyk, Forbort, and Ullmark for picks clears up 11.7 mil.  Leaves them committed to 7 forward, 4 defensemen, and 0 goalies at 65,750,000 with buried and overage penalties.  With next year's cap at 83.5 mil, that's 17,750,000 to spend on 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 2 goalies.  Im betting they bring in 5 forwards, 2 defenseman, and 2 goalies from their prospect pool (or re-sign guys like Nosek/Frederic) at 900k avg each.  That leaves 9,650,000 for Bergeron and Krecji.  You are right that they are up against the wall right now tho.  Their GM is going to be forced to start a youth movement, which might actually help that team.  

Trading Grzelcyk, Forbort, and Ullmark for picks clears up 11.7 mil.  Leaves them committed to 7 forward, 4 defensemen, and 0 goalies at 65,750,000 with buried and overage penalties.  With next year's cap at 83.5 mil, that's 17,750,000 to spend on 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 2 goalies.  Im betting they bring in 5 forwards, 2 defenseman, and 2 goalies from their prospect pool (or re-sign guys like Nosek/Frederic) at 900k avg each.  That leaves 9,650,000 for Bergeron and Krecji.  You are right that they are up against the wall right now tho.  Their GM is going to be forced to start a youth movement, which might actually help that team.  

I think after they fell flat on their collective faces this playoff, it's steep decline time.

59 minutes ago, mackel said:

I think after they fell flat on their collective faces this playoff, it's steep decline time.

not gonna happen.  94 Wings completely sharted against the sharks after a killer reg season.  Then what happened?  Stanley Cup series 3 of the next 4 years.  Boston aint on the upswing like we were, but they aint dead yet either.

Boston has 77 committed to next season with 9 roster spots open, and 2 major RFAs. They can't even barely squeak under the cap with league min contracts.

Solution isn't hard though. Buyout Reilly. Sell Swayman. Sell Grezlyck. Sell DeBrusk.

Now you have 67 committed with 12 roster spots to fill. So you have 1.4 on average to commit to 12 spots. You can bring in 6 league min players and 6 more players at basically 2 mil each.

It wont be pretty but it will still be a decent team

Marchand - Coyle - Pasta
Hall - Zacha - Foligno
Frederick

Lindholm - McAvoy
Forbort - Carlo
Zboril

Ullmark

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

not gonna happen.  94 Wings completely sharted against the sharks after a killer reg season.  Then what happened?  Stanley Cup series 3 of the next 4 years.  Boston aint on the upswing like we were, but they aint dead yet either.

The difference is that Wings squad was still young. Boston is about to lose their top two centers. If a GM is still gonna try to win with zero center depth, well gl;hf. 

Without their centers, they will still have good players that can help them win some games. But there are a LOT of good upcoming teams now. Not to mention they are with the Wings in the division of death. Cracks are gonna start to show. 

They will have streaks where they play well. But 82 games with no Bergeron of Krejci will be their worst enemy. 

In the end, if Yzerman has any desire to use that Boston pick to make a trade, it should not happen until next offseason when we have a better idea of what that pick could be.

6 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Boston has 77 committed to next season with 9 roster spots open, and 2 major RFAs. They can't even barely squeak under the cap with league min contracts.

Solution isn't hard though. Buyout Reilly. Sell Swayman. Sell Grezlyck. Sell DeBrusk.

Now you have 67 committed with 12 roster spots to fill. So you have 1.4 on average to commit to 12 spots. You can bring in 6 league min players and 6 more players at basically 2 mil each.

It wont be pretty but it will still be a decent team

Marchand - Coyle - Pasta
Hall - Zacha - Foligno
Frederick

Lindholm - McAvoy
Forbort - Carlo
Zboril

Ullmark

Yah, the GM is gonna figure this one out.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

The difference is that Wings squad was still young. Boston is about to lose their top two centers. If a GM is still gonna try to win with zero center depth, well gl;hf. 

Without their centers, they will still have good players that can help them win some games. But there are a LOT of good upcoming teams now. Not to mention they are with the Wings in the division of death. Cracks are gonna start to show. 

They will have streaks where they play well. But 82 games with no Bergeron of Krejci will be their worst enemy. 

In the end, if Yzerman has any desire to use that Boston pick to make a trade, it should not happen until next offseason when we have a better idea of what that pick could be.

Youre giving too much credit to Bergeron and Krejci. These guys are good, but both past they're prime.  It showed in the playoffs.  2 new guys stepping in with their top 4 might make Boston harder to play against, actually.  They have 4 centers in their prospect pool that all need at least another year, so Im expecting Bergeron and Krejci to hang on one more season.  But Boston has a good core.  They arent going to fall apart.

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Only reason I'm not totally with you is bc Ive been saying Boston is about to fall off for a few years now, and they keep proving me wrong in big ways.

Watch them get Berg and Krecji back at league min.

But seriously. They have a good prime goalie. And a very solid D core. They'll still be good just because of those things alone. 

Then they have two superstar wingers in Marchand and Pasta up front. 

They'll have to get creative with centers, but I dont think at this point it will be as bad as some think. 

Yah, the GM is gonna figure this one out.

Hes done a very good job of pivoting and reloading that team so far

10 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Only reason I'm not totally with you is bc Ive been saying Boston is about to fall off for a few years now, and they keep proving me wrong in big ways.

Watch them get Berg and Krecji back at league min.

But seriously. They have a good prime goalie. And a very solid D core. They'll still be good just because of those things alone. 

Then they have two superstar wingers in Marchand and Pasta up front. 

They'll have to get creative with centers, but I dont think at this point it will be as bad as some think. 

Hes done a very good job of pivoting and reloading that team so far

agreed.  The ONLY challenge for Boston is their prospect pool being short winger, defensemen, and goalies.  They have 4 centers in their top 7 prospects tho, so this "hole down the middle" stuff isnt going to be permanent.  And as I said before, replacing 38 year olds with 22 year olds isnt always a negative despite the talent and experience drop.

Here's a thing I've been wondering (but haven't seen rumored anywhere). New Jersey is getting DOMINATED. Their defense is trash and they're about to lose Severson to make it worse. They've also got no cap space and need to re-sign half their team (it seems).

With that said, do you think they qualify Timo Meier at 9 million? They don't need the offense, he's been terrible for them (seems like he doesn't fit their system), and he'd cost a fortune to keep. A fortune better spent trying to bolster their defense.

If they choose not to qualify him and trade his rights instead, are we back in the hunt? Surely they'd want to get a 1st back, and thankfully we have a couple extra 1sts. I think there's a reasonable chance he's back on the market prior to the draft.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Here's a thing I've been wondering (but haven't seen rumored anywhere). New Jersey is getting DOMINATED. Their defense is trash and they're about to lose Severson to make it worse. They've also got no cap space and need to re-sign half their team (it seems).

With that said, do you think they qualify Timo Meier at 9 million? They don't need the offense, he's been terrible for them (seems like he doesn't fit their system), and he'd cost a fortune to keep. A fortune better spent trying to bolster their defense.

If they choose not to qualify him and trade his rights instead, are we back in the hunt? Surely they'd want to get a 1st back, and thankfully we have a couple extra 1sts. I think there's a reasonable chance he's back on the market prior to the draft.

Thoughts?

Jersey is my least watched team in these playoffs. I know they're getting caved by Carolina's forecheck (who doesn't theses days?). What's the problem with Meier? 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Jersey is my least watched team in these playoffs. I know they're getting caved by Carolina's forecheck (who doesn't theses days?). What's the problem with Meier? 

She's got the face that only Walman6million could love...

TIME Magazine Cover: Golda Meir - Sep. 19, 1969 - Israel - Middle East