Was at the game last night. The pre-game was awesome like usual and the atmosphere was electric. Unfortunately, everything after that point wasn't very memorable.
- Didn't like the way Babcock played last change in this game. I wouldn't use top line against top line personally. I think it negates the one line the Wings need to have going at even strength. Let Filppula's line matchup against Getzlaf instead. They can handle their own defensively.
- Game was lost really in the first period. Too many chances on the PP and nothing to show for it. Why do they insist on making cute passes through the middle instead of shooting the puck? The guys at the point did very poorly getting shots through to the net as well.
- NHL officials are doing a real quality job ruining playoff hockey again. Nobody knows what a penalty is still on a nightly basis. Put the whistles away and let the players decide the damn outcome.
- The Red Wings really miss DeKeyser and it was obvious. His speed and ability to move the puck out can't be replaced. The entire defense struggled with the Ducks forecheck and clearing the zone. They get pinned in deep and can't transition to offense because no one on defense can get the puck back and make the first pass out cleanly. Kindl and Lashoff especially broke down defensively.
- Jimmy was good, even with the lopsided score. Could have been far worse before the Wings threw in the towel during the third without Jimmy keeping them in it prior to the collapse.
Season rides on tomorrow night. Anything less than 60 minutes of desperate hockey will be disappointing.
With how badly the Duck's forecheck had the Wings frazzled in the 3rd, I want no part of White being in the lineup.
Agreed. White is the last of the three d-man options I want to see play on Saturday. Colaiacovo moves the puck well, so I probably prefer him slightly over Lashoff.
Shame about DeKeyser regardless. Stepped right in and played like a veteran. The Wings will miss his speed and sound defensive play on the back end. I thought he was the best d-man for the Red Wings in the first two games.
I'm not surprised that it's come to this at all. Certainly our defensive corps stepped up, but we're still young and undisciplined. Q&S should not be a pair. SHOULD NOT.
Overall, You're talking about a #2 seed that's been solid all year long vs. a team that backed their asses into the 7th seed and the playoffs.
You guys all act like we're SCF bound when you know goddamn well we were praying for the playoffs!!
...either that or you just like to bitchandmoanbitchandmoan no matter what we do. f'ncrybabies. yeah, you know who you are.
A 4-1 lead in the third should be more than enough to win a game, even being young and undisciplined. No one here realistically thinks this team is going to the SCF, but this series should be 1-1 right now. There's plenty of justification for being upset.
I thought before the season the Red Wings would finish between 6th and 8th in the West best case scenario. Considering the circumstances and fashion it took to accomplish that, it's a truly remarkable feat they pulled it off at all. No Lidstrom, no Stuart, no Helm, no Bertuzzi and yet here we are celebrating a 22nd consecutive appearance in the playoffs. Everyone in the organization deserves a ton of credit for turning an already tough "transition year" into one of development and opportunity to still compete at the same time.
Very rewarding result tonight as a fan. Can't wait for the playoffs to start!