My post series thoughts:
1) Always disappointing to lose like this...I remember when we lost game 7 to the Pens for the Cup. I was seriously down for like a week...we were better than them. We were the best team in the league then. This is bad...but i am already over it. I don't think the Wings had what it takes to get out of the East. The Rangers defense is stacked. Price is tough. There are just too many barriers and our best players are a bit too old. It would have been nice to continue in the playoffs...not meant to be.
2) I thought we played a good series...nothing to hang our heads about. We had our chances to nail this down in games 4 and 6. The great teams get it done. We didn't. But the guys played tough. Guys i admired during the series include Glenny, Abby, Helmer, Dats, Mraz. I like their game...
3) I am not sure getting really old players at the deadline is a great idea. Keith Yandle would have been a good get. Zidlicky is too slow and really cost us in these playoffs a bit...I am not sure he is really any better than Kindl, Marchenko, or Oulett. Cole ended up being a non-factor. Getting old players at the deadline for a bunch of "spare part" assets, messing up the chemistry, sitting young players, then slumping your way into the playoffs. Kenny has not really made a lot of outstanding moves lately. Giving 5 mill to Weiss who was coming off injury was incredibly bone-headed. The whole "overripe" thing is overrated. Hockey players in this era are beaten up after 31 or so and on the downside of things. Just my opinion. If you want to be a franchise that competes for the Cup every year you have to make bold, smart moves. If you make bad moves...no Cup.
4) I am really impressed with Mrazek's demeanor, puck handling, and athleticism. He overplays things and that needs to be fixed...but it is fixable. I like him in net over Jimmy who does to handle the puck so well and seems to be always tweaking his groin.
5) I would trade Jimmy to a team that really needs a goalie (? St. Louis) for either a rugged scoring winger or a top tier defenseman. Mraz starts...and then find a serviceable back up.
6) No more really old players please. Unless he is a core guy (Z, Dats, Kron), the secondary players should be young and not have a lot of miles on them.
7) We need a bit of grit and size in our forwards...Franzen is pretty much done. I would trade him for a low pick and a back up goalie...if he actually can still play. Get rid of him.
8) Weiss needs to go...back to Florida for a low pick...maybe his game needs Florida...I don't know.
9) It would be great to have a #1 D-man...I have no idea how we get one of these.
10) I would not re-sign either Cole or Zids...too old.
11) There is a lot of negative talk about Zetterberg here...but he is not going anywhere. I am hopeful that as he gets farther out from his back surgery he can still be a contributor.
That's all i got for now...disappointing that we are out and i have no more playoff games to worry about.