We spoke of this in the other (Howard is average) thread. I presented his stats and the pay ranges. The rumored talk of 4-5 million fall into the range of earned by performance pay one would expect.
As for the future, no GM woth his weight in salt, is shortening the length of term of a proven top tier NHL netminder because of the potential of a 1st year pro prospect. The "worst case" scenario is you end up with a proven NHL #1 and a protege #2, see Vancouver. Even in this scenario Howard won't have the anchor of a contract Luongo carries. Even then Mrazek would need to be locked up and he may choose to hit the open market.
One in the net is worth 2 in the bush leagues. so you fans who believe Mrazek to be the next "Dominator" remember he backed up Belfour for two seasons. Even when moved to the Sabres he was a back-up. I can't remember the one guy's name but he was behind Fuhr until he got hurt. goalies take time and the results are unpredictable. Detroit has found a solid #1.
I wonder what a goalie must do, slay a dragon(?) to win the hearts of some Wing fans?
Achievements Jimmy Howard Medal record Competitor for United States Men's ice hockey World U18 Championships Gold 2002 Slovakia Ice hockey
- Holds University of Maine school record for shutouts, goals against average
and save percentage. (holds all three records for both single season
- Was awarded a Legislative Sentiment by former Maine State Representative Chris Greeley in July 2011, for his success as both a college and professional hockey player, and his work with kid's hockey programs.
- Holds NCAA records for GAA(1.19) and save percentage(.954) – 2003–04.
- Only NHL goalie to face a penalty shot in each of his first two games.
- Named to the 2005–06 AHL All-Rookie team.
- Named the 2009–2010 Detroit Red Wings Rookie of the Year in voting by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
- Runner-up for the 2010 Calder Memorial Trophy
- Named to the 2012 NHL All-Star team
- Jasper84 likes this