Let's have a look at the positives of this trade though:
1. Legwand has 40 points in 60 games under Barry Trotz's Nashville system
2. Legwand waived his NTC to come here, has a place here, so chances are he re-signs here (hopefully for a good cap hit)
3. Our centre depth is ridiculous, and will be for at least another 4-5 years (D,Z, Legwand, Weiss, Helm, Sheahan, Andy, Glendening) which made Jarnkrok expendable (Babcock would have none of that attitude)
4. Legwand has managed to stay relatively healthy most of his career, whereas our other centres are made of glass right now
5. He's got great speed and is a decent 2 way centre (you can't play in Nashville if you're not a 2 way player)
All in all, Legwand makes our team look much, much better. He gives us a chance at the playoffs, especially since Datsyuk is now out for three weeks and Helm is out. Andersson as our 1C for one game is one game too many. On another note, I absolutely love Sheahan and his line. Their shifts are easily our most exciting shifts each game.
Are people being serious here? Subban is 24 and is can definitely be a franchise defenceman! Yeah he's got some growing up to do but he's won a Norris and would be great in the Red Wings system, and he has been coached by Babcock before. Sure he was sat out at the Olympics but that's because of the depth Canada had with right handed shots (which by the way we like on our defence). Pat Kane also has 'growing up to do' you would argue but on the ice nobody cares, he puts up the points. Similar things were said when Kessel got traded (doesn't fit the system, blah blah blah) and Seguin (immature, doesn't improve his game, blah blah blah) and look at where they are now with a change of setting
With all that being said, there's virtually no chance he ends up in Detroit but if they called us I would put together one hell of a package to land him.
Posted by anthonyn66
on 18 February 2014 - 12:14 AM
What we should do (and the only logical thing to do at this point) is buy out Zetterberg. It's the only way we'll stay competitive the next 10 years. He's a locker room cancer, doesn't produce, I'm sick of him...